Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The 2014 - 2015 100/100 Run Challenge Thread: Mar 24 - Day 100 (thanks for playing)
Quote | Reply

We're onto year 9 back by popular/unpopular demand. I am mainly cutting and pasting last year's thread starter because mainly nothing has changed, even though I offered up some rule changes....it seems like the veterans wanted no changes

The last few years we have had 500-600 athletes from all over the world. Invite your friends and training partners. The more the better. Thanks to Slowman, Rappstar, Herbert for accommodating us and hosting this virtual training camp on their website at no cost !!! This is the 9th year we're doing it and the 7th year in a row on the slowtwitch.com training log. Instructions below which are cut and paste from previous years

On Dec 15th we'll start the 2014-15 edition of the 100 runs in 100 day challenge, commonly known as 100/100. The thing has evolved somewhat over the past few years, due to and contrary to popular demand. The basic “unit” that counts as a “run” is 30 minutes.

The goal of this entire challenge is to lay down a solid run base by doing volume through frequency. The goal of the challenge actually is not to randomly be doing a bunch of short runs, although some in the past may have chosen to. The goal really is to increase your overall mileage which will hopefully result in better performances next year as long as you don't go overboard and injury yourself. Frequency is the carrot to get you overall mileage, but don't end up using it to get injured!

The runs can be outdoors or on a treadmill, but it must be running (no water running, no elliptical trainer...). Walking does not count...there must be two feet off the ground at some point in every stride (the difference between race walking and running) and there must be forward motion so 30 minutes of jumping jacks will not count either :-) :-) :-).

DO’S AND DON’TS

1. You can take days off
  2. You can do days with more than one run (doubles)
  3. You can and likely should take rest days
  4. You get no credit for going longer than 30 minute wrt number of runs, however it will help your distance totals. Over time, many of your runs will be in excess of 30 minutes.
  5. If you go fast, it will show up in your total distance over the challenge in less time and the speedsters get to beat the crap out of each other.
  6. You can go as slow as you want provided both feet leave the ground on every stride
  7. Listen to your body if you need to take a day off…don’t get too sucked into what the other geeks on the ‘standings’ are doing (who am I kidding….talking to a bunch a type A tri geeks)
  8. By all means, use the overall standing as a motivator to push you up a level, but don’t put yourself in the injury/hurt locker in the middle of winter
  9. Don't sprint out of the gate in the first 3 weeks....easiest way to get injured...start slow....perhaps take your aggregate mileage over the last 3 years and divide that total by 156 to get a gauge for what your average weeks for the first 4-6 weeks should look like before you ramp up
  10. If you make it through 10 weeks (70 days), pour it on in the final month when your body and mind can take it.

WHAT COUNTS AS A DOUBLE RUN?

For a run to count as a double, it must be separated by at least 1 hour. I have to pick a duration to separate 2 runs and it can't be 1 minute or 5 minutes, and putting 1 hour in between means that I will allow you to count a run-swim-run, run-bike-run, run-wts-run, run-XC ski-run, run-McDonalds-run as 2 sessions as long as the thing in between lasts for at least 1 hour (be it 40K on the bike, or a session at the donut shop).

7 years ago _EH_, Jana and I put down 100 days in a row of running 30 min or more with ZERO rest days. Not really recommended. The last few years we have had approximately 50 or more hit 100 runs in 100 days, but that's really not for everyone (nor should it be).

WHAT ARE THE VARIOUS LEVELS

While some might go for 100 runs, the reality is that unless you are already running 4-6 hours per week, this is not a realistic goal. If you did over 2500K of running last year, you're probably good to go to attack the full 100 (assuming you have no injuries)

For most a realistic goal is to start at Bronze “club pace” (or less) and then see how things go.

1. Platinum Club = 100 runs in 100 days (March 24th)
  2. Gold Club = 90 runs in 100 runs in days
  3. Silver Club = 80 runs in 100 runs in days
  4. Bronze = 70 runs in 100 runs in days

It is great training for anyone doing a spring marathon or an early season triathlon, and you'll be shocked by how quickly you accumulate mileage, all without getting injured...because the focus is keeping them short and aerobic. By all means feel free to run longer than 30 minutes, but the main goal here is to get you out the door, 5-7 times per week, especially given that the weather is generally shitty for riding in many parts of the Northern Hemisphere.

QUESTION ABOUT RUNS SHORTER THAN 30 MINUTES

The goal is to encourage people to run as much as possible. Sometimes, life gets in the way. We have lives outside sport.Something is better than nothing. So if you do 2 runs shorter than 30 minutes in one day (ex 20+15), you can count the total as 1 run, but beyond that, you can’t keep adding up incremental amounts to count for additional runs. For example, a 50 minute run and 10 minute run in one day won’t count as 2 runs and nor will 20+20+20. They will both count as one 60 minute run (you can add your short run amount to your large run amount to get full mileage credit).
So basically let's say you do a 15 minute run covering 3K. You can't enter this as a "complete run" for your "club status", however, if you do many of these over the winter, they all add up to more base, so what you CAN do is add these 15 minutes in your entry for your previous run...so if your previous run was 45 minutes, and 9K, just put it in as 60 minutes and 12K and take some partial credit for it.

1. Go to training.slowtwitch.com
2. Sign up for a training log account if you don’t already have one
3. Then go to training.slowtwitch.com/challenges
4. Look for the 2014-15 100 runs/100 days challenge and sign up for it: http://training.slowtwitch.com/challenge/frequency/214
5. Now start entering your runs in the slowtwitch log. Make sure you only enter runs >30 minutes as one entity. If you have a 20+15 day, enter it as one workout of 35 minute or it will not get rolled into the results sheet
6. Please ensure that you log a distance along with the time. If you don't know the distance, please try to estimate...this will also get you finely tuned to your pace at various times/distances...great for racing
7. Your runs will automatically get entered into the challenge results sheet with everyone else
8. From the challenges home page, click on the link to go to the 100/100 challenge, which will allow you to view the results
9. Once click on this link you will end up at the results page. You can click on any of the column headers, and it will sort the sheet based on that category (frequency, time, distance, aerobic points.
10. Please note that you must be logged in to actually enter your data. You can’t enter data without logging into your account (seems obvious...)

I’ll update this post as other questions come up.

And as was the case in previous years, don't expect any love around here (there is lots of tough love). If you think I/we might be hard nosed, let me just say, that offline, I get beaten up by even more hard core guys accusing me of making the challenge too "soft". So the rules are the rules (I even wanted to soften them up this year but got a fair amount of push back). They've been refined over the past few years and love them or hate them, they kind of work and out or respect to previous years’ finishers, let’s stick with what works OK.

Please put any questions on this thread. Better to put them here than send me PM's or emails, because they may not be answered n real time if sent directly to me, but if you post on this thread there are a bunch of guys who will likely answer questions for your immediately. It's like being in a big training camp with a bunch of veterans. You don't need to ask the organizers all the questions. There are a bunch of vets who probably can provide much better insights than I can.

FINALLY: GOOD LUCK, PLAY SMART, TAKE REST, COME OUT THE OTHER SIDE INJURY FREE AND READY TO HAVE A PB YEAR IN 2015.

I'm shooting for 800-1000K over the challenge myself. I don't really care how I get there, but that would be 80-90 runs of 10-12K average. We'll see how things work out. I'm hoping to race a spring ironman and dearly want to Kona qualify as this is my first year in 50-54....you gotta dream...if not I'm using my base to run up Mauna Kea which is probably harder anyway .
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Mar 24, 15 0:26
Quote Reply
Re: The 2014 - 2015 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to it. I'm aiming for 85 runs and hoping this will encourage me to be a bit more consistent with a BarryP style programme (6/week).
Quote Reply
Re: The 2014 - 2015 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
signed up, first challenge on slowtwitch. looking forward to starting tomorrow
thanks for setting this up!
Quote Reply
Re: The 2014 - 2015 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in for the first time here. I am looking for 100/100 all outside. Good luck to all and train smart......

James - est. as a Triathlete 1983
Quote Reply
Re: The 2014 - 2015 100/100 Challenge Thread [espejo09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you don't finish, your off the team! Joking! Glad another teammate is attempting!
Quote Reply
Re: The 2014 - 2015 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in as well. My mileage has suffered the last few months due to work/life/illness, so this may be just the thing to get me back on track for the spring. I'm aiming for 80+, but we will see how it goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm (finally) in. First time I have finished a tri season injury-free and able to do the challenge.

Of course, I leave for China tomorrow for the week, so it will be a rough start, but no one cares. Wink

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: The 2014 - 2015 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
I'm (finally) in. First time I have finished a tri season injury-free and able to do the challenge.

Of course, I leave for China tomorrow for the week, so it will be a rough start, but no one cares. Wink

Can you post some pictures from you runs (I assume Shenzhen ?). A quick look on google images and they show pictures of the one day per year that the sky is blue there by the Sheraton beach resort:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn.... was planning on the treadmill, but you have now shamed me into not only running, but doing it outside.

Damn you!!

Wink

And yes.... Shenzhen. Staying at the JW Marriott.... to be honest, never saw any decent areas to run nearby, but I'll find something.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: The 2014 - 2015 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in for the 4th year. I'll go for the 100/100 again. Last 3 years were 106/99/101. I love this challenge, thanks once again for setting this up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did this challenge last year and almost didn't finish it due to a nasty stomach bug in the beginning of March that knocked me out for a few days. I finished right at 100 runs. Since then I've upped my running mileage dramatically (though I haven't touched my bike since July). Last year I totaled 1,050 miles, and this year I'm on pace to hit 1,600 miles all due to this challenge!

Needless to say I'm in this year with hopes of at least 125 runs over the next 100 days. I've been doing doubles pretty regularly since July so fingers crossed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never (well hardly ever) ran during 140.6s. Nor do I train running at all. So this will be interesting. Crossed fingers hoping for an injury free attempt at 100 runs. All outside of course.

Question: In last year's thread I noticed you mentioned possibly doing a triple. Is this permissible? Perusing through the rules only shows doubles allowed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First time participant. Need to get ready for spring HIM and continue recovery from AC joint surgery this summer. Looking forward to the challenge!
Quote Reply
Re: The 2014 - 2015 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [aahydraa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aahydraa wrote:
Never (well hardly ever) ran during 140.6s. Nor do I train running at all. So this will be interesting. Crossed fingers hoping for an injury free attempt at 100 runs. All outside of course.

Question: In last year's thread I noticed you mentioned possibly doing a triple. Is this permissible? Perusing through the rules only shows doubles allowed.

Multi-runs are allowed separated by 1 hour and the run needs to be 30 minutes long.

Quote Reply
Re: The 2014 - 2015 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [BrotherTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, BT. Appreciate the clarification.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First timer. First run done: 4 miles, 28 balmy degrees in the moonlight. Perfect. Shooting for 80/100, all outside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't remember if this is year 5 or 6 for me but I'm just thrilled we're up and rollin' again. I'm gonna flirt with the minimum again for the first few weeks but I've never ever run big volume weeks and want to do a 50 mile week this year and, if that goes well, a 70mi week. Thanks Dev for firing this up.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First challenge on ST for me as well. Not going to commit to a level, rather just see how my body reacts. Anyways...1% done.
Quote Reply
Re: The 2014 - 2015 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
first run in. 14.5k at 6am in the cold cold dark. Shakeout run after yesterday's 10k PB of 34:36 (backdoor brag)

Leaving for Australia on Friday night (from Europe). This means I am going to miss 1 day as I am in the air all Saturday.

or...anybody knows if it is possible to run at Dubai airport?

----------------------------
2012: Norseman. I'm done.
Quote Reply
Re: The 2014 - 2015 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
I can't remember if this is year 5 or 6 for me but I'm just thrilled we're up and rollin' again. I'm gonna flirt with the minimum again for the first few weeks but I've never ever run big volume weeks and want to do a 50 mile week this year and, if that goes well, a 70mi week. Thanks Dev for firing this up.

Ian

Great to have you back....last week for me was 110K which was my biggest week all year....I really should take today off, but I will start with some spreadsheet chasing....15 min easy on the treadmill recovery jog after a roller spin this morning....will jog commute to the pool later today which will give me another 17 minutes so pop me over the minimum!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck to everybody in the challenge - have fun, be safe, and enjoy the journey!

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: The 2014 - 2015 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First time participant here as well. And my first ST challenge. I am looking to BQ in Fargo on May 9th, 2015. I think this challenge will help me achieve that goal. Plus, I am doing 3 Ironmans this summer, so this will help that as well. I am going to be doing most of my runs with my dog so there will be a few stops for nature calls for her, but the runs will all be longer than 30 minutes. This challenge is also great motivation to get me outside running in the winter in Winnipeg. There are some -40C days where I just want to stay inside.

Charity is injurious unless it helps the recipient to become independent of it. John D. Rockefeller Sr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeew!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey your runs today were at a avg pace of 14 and 17 per mile. Was that a run or walk?

Quote Reply
Re: The 2014 - 2015 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [hantph96] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hantph96 wrote:
first run in. 14.5k at 6am in the cold cold dark. Shakeout run after yesterday's 10k PB of 34:36 (backdoor brag)

Leaving for Australia on Friday night (from Europe). This means I am going to miss 1 day as I am in the air all Saturday.

or...anybody knows if it is possible to run at Dubai airport?

Don't know if it's possible, but let's hope it's not necessary!
Quote Reply

Prev Next