Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thank you London!!
Quote | Reply
I'm far from a prolific forum poster but feel compelled to share the below story - A random act of kindness from a fellow cyclist in London yesterday has restored my faith in humanity :-)

A little bit of background:

I completed the Evans Cycles King of the Downs on Sunday (112miles, 9000 feet elevation, good ironman brick fodder..) Great day barring a nasty spill on the final descent ~ 15km from the finish - I knocked myself out & smashed my glasses into my face resulting in a nifty little 2cm flap on the bridge of my nose to the bone. I also bent the rear mech so was very thankful that there were no further hills as I limped back to the finish line.

Then....I received a very strange call yesterday morning.....

“Hi this is Dean, the events Director for Evans Cycles”

“uhhh… Hi Dean”

“John, can I ask you if you lost anything yesterday?”

“I lost consciousness & lost a bit of blood, is that what you mean?”

“Not exactly, are you sure you didn’t lose anything important?”

"I'm pretty sure I've also lost a fair amount of confidence on descents, other than that, no. Why?"

“Well, do you know why a young hooligan (not his exact words...) was riding down Norwood Road this morning on a Specialized S-Works SL3 with your race number from yesterday on it?? (2010 Team Geo, Sram Red, Zipp 404s, Powertap SLC..)

“WTF!!!!!!!”

Long story short: I dropped my bike into a local shop to get repaired following Sunday's off. A little punk broke into the back of said store and helped himself to my bike. A local cycling enthusiast (Hugh) was out riding and spotted this little s**t and his mate with my bike. Immediately recognising that the bike was more than likely stolen, he thought quickly and did something very, very smart. Instead of confronting them, he casually approached them, complemented them on “their nice ride” and offered to buy it. He haggled the price down to £150 and took the bike home. As my race number was still on the bike he contacted Evans to inform them he was now the proud owner of rider #750’s bike and they may want it back. What an absolute champion!!!

Yes, some scumbag is now £150 richer, but if Hugh had confronted them they would have likely bolted (or turned their attention to him).

Apart from mild concussion, I am currently on cloud 9!! “Hugh from Herne Hill” you are a shining example of all that is good in this world.
Quote Reply
Re: Thank you London!! [Johnny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great story. lets hope carma catches up with said punk and that he wakes up in a monty python sketch as the black night.

http://longwaytogo-ironman.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a lovely story Jon and we are so glad you and your bike are reunited - Dean came running into the office yesterday to tell us about this! He's posted on the blog his version: http://blog.evanscycles.com/...isll-make-you-smile/

We are currently trying to track down Hugh from Herne Hill to offer him a little something to say thank you, what a hero!

cheers

Will@Evans Cycles
Quote Reply
Re: Thank you London!! [Will_Lockie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Will - I'm still beaming.

Dean should have Hugh's details (he gave them to me yesterday). I'm off to meet the living legend now.

My KotD race number is now an official lucky charm - it shall never leave my saddle bag :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Thank you London!! [Will_Lockie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Smooth move on the confrontational front!

This makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

That guy deserves a frickin' medal or something! I look forward to reading more!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome! Frickin' brilliant!

So, did Hugh sell your bike back to you or...?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I can eat 21 plus a deep-fried turkey!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you had to pay 150 pounds to get your bike back ? Could this be a scam?
maybe the good guy stole the bike and made up the story and sold you your bike!
Just think'n
Quote Reply
Re: Thank you London!! [dr steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got back from meeting Hugh (and his lovely family). I didn't have an opportunity to do so yesterday as I suggested to the offending bike shop they might like to go and collect as well as compensate him for his payment to secure my bike...

What an incredibly affable gentleman!! Hugh was so humble regarding the whole incident. As an avid cyclist (and previous victim of bike theft) he was genuinely so happy to have been able to return the bike to its rightful owner. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY this was a scam.

It was an absolute pleasure meeting him today & and I look forward to going on a few weekend rides together in the near future - the coffee & cake stops might have to be on me for the next few months! :-)

I will email him the link to this thread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool indeed.
Quote Reply