Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Texas 70.3 put in a bid to host the 2017 70.3 World Championships
Quote | Reply
Read about that this morning. The Galveston folks have put in a bid to host the 2017 70.3 WC when it returns to North America.

I love the Galveston race. I really do. Having the 70.3 WC there would be a joke. Imagine the Clearwater bike drafting issues but with the temperature at 100 degrees.

The drafting isn't that bad there for the 70.3 because you have people of all different levels of experience, skill, and ability. Put a hundred or more people of each AG at near similar abilities and it's a 56 mile long peloton. In ridiculously hot and humid conditions.

I hope WTC disregards that bid.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 put in a bid to host the 2017 70.3 World Championships [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about 2017 70.3 Worlds this morning. Presumably, it will be North America's turn to host, and since it was in Canada in 2014, I also presume it would be in the US in 2017.

What are the options? I'm guessing it has to be July / August / early September with lead up to Kona. Santa Cruz? Vineman? Racine? Steelhead?

I agree, though, flat and hot doesn't sound very appealing.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 put in a bid to host the 2017 70.3 World Championships [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
I was thinking about 2017 70.3 Worlds this morning. Presumably, it will be North America's turn to host, and since it was in Canada in 2014, I also presume it would be in the US in 2017.

What are the options? I'm guessing it has to be July / August / early September with lead up to Kona. Santa Cruz? Vineman? Racine? Steelhead?

I agree, though, flat and hot doesn't sound very appealing.

Why not South America? South Africa? Asia?
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 put in a bid to host the 2017 70.3 World Championships [GMAN19030] [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
Read about that this morning. The Galveston folks have put in a bid to host the 2017 70.3 WC when it returns to North America.

Put a hundred or more people of each AG at near similar abilities and it's a 56 mile long peloton.

The course doesn't matter. The Vegas 70.3 WC was hilly as crap and it was the worst drafting I have ever seen. Courses don't draft, people do.

NordicSkier wrote:
Why not South America? South Africa? Asia?

It will be interesting to see where they do put it. If it's truly a world rotation, then the three you mentioned would be in play. Are they definitely going to move it every year? (ie Australia has no shot in 2017?)

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 put in a bid to host the 2017 70.3 World Championships [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amen! I don't care what course it is...it all comes down to individual decisions to draft or not.

I hope it does come back to the US. Austin, TX would be a awesome place if it had to be in TX. :) I love BBQ!
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 put in a bid to host the 2017 70.3 World Championships [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the move to rolling starts or bigger breaks in wave starts drafting shoud decrease.

My tip. Somewhere in Dubai / UAE.

WTC ARE DESPERATE to get in there.

Then 2018 USA

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't imagine Galveston being a huge destination race, but I have never been so I can't really judge. I could pick other current 70.3 WTC races that I would pick over Galveston. Would WTC again go with a current race, or do a specific WC 70.3 race?

Curious to know if they will go to Africa or South America first before returning to the to the states. I can see South America first especially since they are trying to really build up that part of the world.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 put in a bid to host the 2017 70.3 World Championships [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen some recent hints at Boulder being a possible candidate to host 70.3 WC with a different course than the current layout. If it was held in Boulder, my guess would be that it would be like MT last year - hold the "normal" 70.3 race at the regular time/date and then have a second race as the WC later in the season.

Re: Texas 70.3 put in a bid to host the 2017 70.3 World Championships [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bcagle25 wrote:
I can't imagine Galveston being a huge destination race, but I have never been so I can't really judge. I could pick other current 70.3 WTC races that I would pick over Galveston. Would WTC again go with a current race, or do a specific WC 70.3 race?

Curious to know if they will go to Africa or South America first before returning to the to the states. I can see South America first especially since they are trying to really build up that part of the world.

I think you could make Galveston work with enough wave spacing even at the 70.3 WC level. I have done both Silverman and Tremblant 70.3 in non championship mode and they were largely draft free, but at the 70.3 WC both have been limited by wave spacing issues due to road closures/overlaps. At Galveston, they should literally be able to keep the place open all day. Personally I don't think the run course at Galveston is anything worthy of a 70.3 WC (but nor was Vegas). Tremblant was much better but could have also been much tougher. Clearwater had a major wave spacing issue as the "out and in" overlapped, meaning that the last wave had to head out before the pros came back. Plus one lane of the highway with cones marking off the tarmac made it worse.

I am told in Austria, they have a full two lanes for the entire loop for riders.

Personally I would likely go to Galveston if I qualified, only because it is convenient, but it's not my number 1 location. I'd rather see it go back to Henderson or Tremblant and they fix the wave spacing issues. I think if it went to Henderson and they did the swim out at Lake Mead as we did last year, then a lot of the drafting issues go away with the hard first part of the course with potentially both lanes closed off for riders only. They could reduce the out and back (because the drafting is caused by single lane out and back traffic...we see that in every large race where you have an out and back with no shoulder) and and add a loop through Lake Las Vegas Resort on the way back to Henderson.

If the race were to go back to Tremblant, they need to add wave spacing and run the course in reverse to put the hills at the start. If not it is certain draft fest again.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Apr 27, 15 14:24
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 put in a bid to host the 2017 70.3 World Championships [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Tahoe should get it. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 put in a bid to host the 2017 70.3 World Championships [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I think Tahoe should get it. :)

That would be a great option!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not Lake Stevens? (slightly pink)

It is a brutal bike course that breaks up drafters quite quickly and a double figure 8 run course with lots of good viewing spots.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 put in a bid to host the 2017 70.3 World Championships [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt it will be a true world rotation. WTC panders to it's base: USA.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 put in a bid to host the 2017 70.3 World Championships [cobragolf79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cobragolf79 wrote:
Amen! I don't care what course it is...it all comes down to individual decisions to draft or not.

I hope it does come back to the US. Austin, TX would be a awesome place if it had to be in TX. :) I love BBQ!

Ever done the Austin 70.3? Arguably the shittiest course imaginable. It would be an embarrassment to have the 70.3 WC there. It's embarrassing enough it's a IM 70.3 to begin with.

Now if they put it elsewhere in Austin that would be awesome!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No just been there on business. Visited a park that ran along the river for a workout and then I ate some awesome BBQ. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:

It will be interesting to see where they do put it. If it's truly a world rotation, then the three you mentioned would be in play. Are they definitely going to move it every year? (ie Australia has no shot in 2017?)

The article seemed like it was a fact the race would be back in North America in 2017.

Australia would have no shot in 2017 since they have it in 2016. It is going to rotate. Looks like the rotation is North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific. Not sure why South America gets no love but they haven't so far.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
The drafting isn't that bad there for the 70.3 because you have people of all different levels of experience, skill, and ability. Put a hundred or more people of each AG at near similar abilities and it's a 56 mile long peloton. In ridiculously hot and humid conditions.

I hope WTC disregards that bid.

I've done Galveston 7 years straight except for this year. Drafting is never bad because the wind is steady at 20 mph off your side for most of the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
The article seemed like it was a fact the race would be back in North America in 2017.

Where's the article?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A hilly bike and run would definitely help. St. George might be a decent candidate for a WC course. I'm not sure the community has sufficient accommodations, but I don't know the area that well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
Runner Rick wrote:

Australia would have no shot in 2017 since they have it in 2016. It is going to rotate. Looks like the rotation is North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific. Not sure why South America gets no love but they haven't so far.

New 70.3 race in Punte del Este, Uruguay would be a stunning location. Looks flat as a pancake though.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 put in a bid to host the 2017 70.3 World Championships [writhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
writhe wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:

Where's the article?

It was in the Galveston newspaper. Just checked for the article online but you need a subscription. It quoted folks from WTC and one of the WTC employees stated all cities in USA, Canada, and Mexico that currently host a 70.3 could submit a bid for the 2017 race that was returning to North America.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Edmonton would be cool. They did a super job with Worlds last year.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Draftveston should not be a WC race...it was like your local BikeMS ride out there yesterday....
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 put in a bid to host the 2017 70.3 World Championships [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Edmonton would be cool. They did a super job with Worlds last year.

Not a 70.3 site.

Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 put in a bid to host the 2017 70.3 World Championships [cobragolf79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cobragolf79 wrote:

Point of order - beef covered in ketchup is NOT 'cue. Texas "BBQ" is schitt and should be shut down. Wink

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply

Prev Next