Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tell me why I'm a crappy swimmer...
Quote | Reply
Excuse the static location, my wife didn't want to walk, video, and juggle the toddler.

https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be

It's a SCM pool, end of a moderately paced (oly/half pace) 300, mid-set, I'm tired and spinning and I'm really not sure how to stop spinning.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me why I'm a crappy swimmer... [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You swim too flat, no extension out front, and are dropping your elbows. Can't see much else.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's super hard to see anything from that angle.

I'd suggest trying to video your stroke again when your wife isn't dealing with the toddler and you're not tired.

It would be more helpful to see the stroke from the side and the front.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me why I'm a crappy swimmer... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
You swim too flat, no extension out front, and are dropping your elbows. Can't see much else.

^^^^This.

Basically you are not getting much propulsion from your stroke (I counted over 30 strokes/length). Body rotation will help you engage your lats in your stroke and a higher elbow gives you a stronger pull.

I'd recommend working on the extension and rotation first. High elbows take more time and practice to develop.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure anyone there would be willing to video you for 2-3 minutes. Have them walk along side the pool edge for a couple of laps. It would really help if you could get ahold of a GoPro or something for underwater shots. Those will really help everyone analyze your stroke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with the other guys basically. It also looks like you don't pull very hard underwater. Your stroke is not powerful because you don't seem to apply much power. Appreciate that you were tired at the time but thats still my comment nevertheless.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me why I'm a crappy swimmer... [PT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree w the need for a better video comments but it also looks like you have a little crossover in your stroke that is keeping you from swimming in a straight line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to add to what have already identified...

You are flexing through the core (doing the snake) see your video (at 4-6 seconds into it)

Here's link to explain section (flexing through the core)

http://www.swimsmooth.com/swimming-balance.html

At 49 seconds you can see that you are overeaching with your right arm (And your body is totally disalign) like a snake again. Try not get an early entry with your right arm. Also, it's hard to see but I think your left arm is a little to wide during the pull phase (need a better video footage).

You need to work your body alignment to keep it straight. Thinking of been tall in the water and not doing movement that will break your alignment.

Post underwater video (front view), a side shot video from above the water.
Last edited by: MTL: Nov 23, 14 5:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a swim snorkel, paddles and an ankle band on. This will show you alignment, strength/propulsion and will suck really bad the first time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a real good input from a top swimmer watching me swim this year. (I have way too many things to improve but ...)

And this was the strongest part of the pull needs to be lets say right when you have the high elbow coming back lets say at your head to all the way
past you hips. And I mean strong. When I made this little change, boy did it make a huge difference. Bam, bam, bam, bam.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
Excuse the static location, my wife didn't want to walk, video, and juggle the toddler.

https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be

It's a SCM pool, end of a moderately paced (oly/half pace) 300, mid-set, I'm tired and spinning and I'm really not sure how to stop spinning.

Owen., I've got a gopro. lets organize a time to do some video. I woukd like to video my stroke as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.youtube.com/...E3ABC7F8&index=4

These drills can work wonders, especially the tubing drill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
28 strokes a length, 53 sec 50m.

You need to find more length out of each stroke, as, with the turn (admittedly you turn very short), you are getting less than a meter from each stroke.
If this was you in the middle of swimming 300 and not after 2500m of practice, then in my view you need to do a lot of pulling, some with paddles, to get a longer, more efficient pull.

You've got a splash going on with your kick and as you have your head buried quite deep in the water you may be torquing your kick to get your head out of the water.
Get some leg bands or pull buoy work to quieten that down.

But to breath better you need to roll your shoulders (not your arse) to rotate for a proper breath, which would increase you stroke reach and length of pull in the process.
When you get down to 22 strokes on sub 50 secs at the end of a practice session, you will be on your way.
That's a sub 1:40 100 and if you can do that all day, it's respectable.

Then you have to decide how hard and what time you are aiming for.
Bear in mind that contrary to the studs that can swim sub 20mins for 1500,
anything below an average 1:40 per 100m will bring you out in the top quarter or better in any age group.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me why I'm a crappy swimmer... [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds good Richard... let me know when you're in town. My office is just a few minutes from Commonwealth.

Thanks to everyone for the advice...

Sounds like I need to work on:

1) Rotation (which I think will also fix my wide arms)
2) Core stability (side to side, and up and down).
3) Lengthen my pull

Playing around this morning, the catch up drill was good at #1 and I know the band is good for #2 (20% of my swimming over the past bit has been done with a band)... what can I do to work on #3?
Quote Reply