Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tell me about your pre-race warm up
Quote | Reply
Interested in what others do before a race to warm up for competition. 5k, 10k, half-mary, full-mary, sprint, oly, 70.3, full 140.6, whatever. I think I need some more structure to my pre-race prep to get my body ready and looking for ideas.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your pre-race warm up [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running races up to 13.1, I am usually doing 2 or 3 miles ahead of time. First 2 whatever my legs feel like doing, next mile is quarters at race pace with easy walking around/dynamic movements in between. Try to be done with 5 or 10 minutes to go.

For TRIs shorter than 140.6, I usually run 2 miles or so, just to get the blood pumping and then swim a few hundred yards if the venue allows.

For 140.6, I usually don't do much, but I have been considering doing a couple miles running early, just to wake up a little more.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might just go for a gentle jog before a 5 or 10k run, but generally don't bother with 'warm ups'. I find that when I've done a proper warmup with strides and everything, I go off to fast and suffer later. I prefer to ease my way into a race. For tri, that what the swim is for, isn't it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I basically do very little warm up. At best I might run a few hundred yards in a slow job.

try different things as you race and see what works for you.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for sprint/OD triathlons:

~30 minutes on the bike to wake the body up. mostly very easy with a couple short bits at race pace. I start this about 1:30h before the start right after check in etc. also good time to check the exit/entrence of the transition area.
(setting up transition)
~10-15 minutes run with some strides but normaly no more than 2-3 minutes of continuous running with some easy walking in between
20 minutes before the gun goes off I put on the wetsuit and head to the start
~5-8 minutes swim warm up with 4 full gas start efforts ~40-50m (I learned that I really need those for a good start). I check out the best line to the first buoy and than idealy head to the line 3 minutes before the start time but often the starter wants people back earlier. normaly I am one of the last coming back in and that garanties a nice possition in the first row ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your pre-race warm up [Jim Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim Martin wrote:
Running races up to 13.1, I am usually doing 2 or 3 miles ahead of time. First 2 whatever my legs feel like doing, next mile is quarters at race pace with easy walking around/dynamic movements in between. Try to be done with 5 or 10 minutes to go.

For TRIs shorter than 140.6, I usually run 2 miles or so, just to get the blood pumping and then swim a few hundred yards if the venue allows.

For 140.6, I usually don't do much, but I have been considering doing a couple miles running early, just to wake up a little more.

2-3 miles with 400 meter repeats? Probably the worst advice I have ever read on this forum.........so just to clarify, the next time you are planning on racing a half mary, Jim recommends running 16 miles instead. Overachievers rejoice!!!

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your pre-race warm up [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shivermetimbers wrote:
Probably the worst advice I have ever read on this forum

Now come on, bad advice, sure, but the worst advice you have ever read on the forum? Come on man help me out? Call me a moron, but not the king of all morons!

Think of all the legendary bad advice threads on this place, surely I am a rank amateur at screwing this stuff up!

Ironman Certified Coach

Last edited by: Jim Martin: May 1, 15 14:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so? I guess it depends whether people want to compete in the race or complete it.

2 mile (maybe 20 minutes with some walking in between) is in no way excessive! also he said "quarters at race pace" and not repeats so in the case of a HM they are quite slow.
if that is killing you there might be a problem with your preparation.

In my experience the first few miles are always run a bit harder with the nerves and people getting carried away so a good warm up is essential if you plan on sticking with the lead bunch.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your pre-race warm up [jakob1989] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakob1989 wrote:
so? I guess it depends whether people want to compete in the race or complete it.

2 mile (maybe 20 minutes with some walking in between) is in no way excessive! also he said "quarters at race pace" and not repeats so in the case of a HM they are quite slow.

In my experience the first few miles are always run a bit harder with the nerves and people getting carried away so a good warm up is essential if you plan on sticking with the lead bunch.

Fair enough....but I challenge you to find one example (other than overachiever Jim) of a warm up that recommends running 2 miles.......don't worry, I'll wait. For the record, I'm a sub 3 hour marathoner with a half PR of 1:26, in other words there is nothing wrong with my preparation I can assure you.

Jim Martin wrote:
shivermetimbers wrote:
Probably the worst advice I have ever read on this forum

Now come on, bad advice, sure, but the worst advice you have ever read on the forum? Come on man help me out? Call me a moron, but not the king of all morons!

Think of all the legendary bad advice threads on this place, surely I am a rank amateur at screwing this stuff up!

You got me.....but your advice ranks in the top five!

Rappstar wrote:
Last edited by: shivermetimbers: May 1, 15 14:16
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your pre-race warm up [jakob1989] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakob1989 wrote:

I tend to think like you. The reason I ended up with 2 or 3 warmup miles is that on an average day training, I run early in the morning, like most races. My first 2 miles are ALWAYS my slowest. I don't know exactly what it is, still sleeping, blood not yet pumping, nutrition not yet flowing, but there is just no easy way for me to get those legs running fast for at least 2 miles. In peak training season, it is even worse.

Something like a 5k or 10k (where you must kill it from the gun), it is 100% necessary for me if I am going to come close to times I have posed in the past.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my routine for >90% of my races:

Show up borderline late. Ride bike from car to check-in station with about 1-2 minutes to spare before the shut down. Get chip, race number, and whatever else they're handing out. Shove all into bag. Look at other people for their body markings. Bust out my own sharpie and mark myself. Run to transition area with bike. Set up as quickly as possible because the time between registration shut down and transition area closing is minimal. Make sure to grab wetsuit, body glide, cap and goggles. Hit the porta potty. Take care of business, including the nether regions with body glide (note: do this after hitting your neck and where ever else you want lubed). Hear announcement that my wave is getting counted in. Put wetsuit on to the waist. Run to the swim corral while fighting with my upper portion of the wetsuit. By now, I've worked up a pretty good sweat. Beg a competitor or volunteer to zip me up. Put on cap and goggles. Jump into the water and do no more than 6 strokes out. Stop. Pee. Backstroke in. Get in line and wait for the gun.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your pre-race warm up [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

Show up borderline late. Ride bike from car to check-in station with about 1-2 minutes to spare before the shut down. Get chip, race number, and whatever else they're handing out. Shove all into bag. Look at other people for their body markings. Bust out my own sharpie and mark myself. Run to transition area with bike. Set up as quickly as possible because the time between registration shut down and transition area closing is minimal. Make sure to grab wetsuit, body glide, cap and goggles. Hit the porta potty. Take care of business, including the nether regions with body glide (note: do this after hitting your neck and where ever else you want lubed). Hear announcement that my wave is getting counted in. Put wetsuit on to the waist. Run to the swim corral while fighting with my upper portion of the wetsuit. By now, I've worked up a pretty good sweat. Beg a competitor or volunteer to zip me up. Put on cap and goggles. Jump into the water and do no more than 6 strokes out. Stop. Pee. Backstroke in. Get in line and wait for the gun.

Clearly great process to get the heart rate up before the gun goes off.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shivermetimbers wrote:

Fair enough....but I challenge you to find one example (other than overachiever Jim) of a warm up that recommends running 2 miles.......don't worry, I'll wait. For the record, I'm a sub 3 hour marathoner with a half PR of 1:26, in other words there is nothing wrong with my preparation I can assure you.

for example from the "daniels' running formula" page 191:

"The term "warm-up" is amisleading because warming up the muscles is only part of the process. In fact, "prerace preparation" might better describe what a runner goes through during the 30 to 60 minutes before a race start. [..] Many of the successful distance runners I've coached end their warm-up with a an 800- or 1000-meter run at about threshold pace. Others prefer a couple of repeated 400s at about interval pace with two minutes of recovery between them. In either case, this tune-up works quite wenn if the somewhat demanding part of the warm-up is completed 15 to 20 minutes before the race. [..] Trying a demanding, prolonged run as part of a prerace warm-up often takes a little courage, but don't wait until your most important race of the year to try it out, Give it a fair trial in some less important races, and if it's successful, use it with confidence when it really counts."

But what does he knows about running

Also with those times there could be a lot wrong with your preparation who knows. but you are right at that pace race tactics in the first miles are less of a concern and maybe you rather want to pace it conservatively anyway in which case there is more room for error regarding the warm-up

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are your posts meant to be in pink?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2-3 miles with 400 meter repeats? Probably the worst advice I have ever read on this forum

That's odd because I know 2 runners who do a mile warm up with a few 400 meter repeats at close to race pace for their warm up. They do that for 10k races consistently. I don't think it hurts them, both are sub-33 minute 10k runners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
from what Im gathering the faster the pace of the race (usually shorter distances) the more warmup one needs. 2 miles seems excessive for a warmup maybe the same could be accomplished with shorter faster intervals overdressed to get body temps up and muscles warmed up. I'll definitely be experimenting more with this over the season I know I'm not warming up properly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shivermetimbers wrote:

I ran two miles this morning, really easy, to warm up ahead of a 5k. Took almost until the 1.5 mile mark before my legs felt "good". I won that 5k. Something I certainly couldn't have done without the decent warm up.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your pre-race warm up [Jim Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim Martin wrote:

You might be on to something with the excessive warm up! We live 2-3km from the start of our local marathon. One year, BCtrigirl was late getting out the door, so she ran hard to the start, got there to realize the gun had gone off minutes before hand and the start corral was empty, kept going, weaved through thousands of runners to a 3:06, PR by 5 minutes and even managed to squeak in to placing in her age group!!

For myself, I like to get there and set up early (if we are talking triathlon). I like to do my swimming warm up of various arm and leg swings, maybe a few quick sets of jump squats just to calm the nerves and get a bit of snap in the legs.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your pre-race warm up [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
shivermetimbers wrote:

I ran two miles this morning, really easy, to warm up ahead of a 5k. Took almost until the 1.5 mile mark before my legs felt "good". I won that 5k. Something I certainly couldn't have done without the decent warm up.

I was referring to 1/2 marathon distance.....so yes, running 3 miles before a half is IMO completely unnecessary.

Sanuk wrote:
2-3 miles with 400 meter repeats? Probably the worst advice I have ever read on this forum

That's odd because I know 2 runners who do a mile warm up with a few 400 meter repeats at close to race pace for their warm up. They do that for 10k races consistently. I don't think it hurts them, both are sub-33 minute 10k runners.

And here we go with the I know so and so inference so it must be logical debate......

Rappstar wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your pre-race warm up [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
Are your posts meant to be in pink?

I think (s)he's serious, which is all the more reason I've taken to reading them in such color.

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your pre-race warm up [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

Sadly enough this is how it tends to be for me. But then I undo all of that just as fast because once transition opens in late for work already lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, I stop at Starbucks. No really, I do. Chai latte = protein, hydration, sugar... bam. I also pick up a bagel and cream cheese just to carb it up a little more. At least 2 hours before the start. I don't do a bike or run warmup unless I need to do one or both to get to the race venue. For the swim I start with a few minutes of slow, long strokes, getting used to the water. I'll throw in a very short race pace chunk about 10 minutes before the start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
still waiting for an explanation why my example from Danials' book doesn't count...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
running back to my car to get whatever it was I forgot.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

And here we go with the I know so and so inference so it must be logical debate......

Well, since I only know 3 or 4 10K runners that's all I could reference.
Quote Reply

Prev Next