Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tell me about Running In Italy (FIDAL, ext)
Quote | Reply
Wifey and I are planning a big Euro trip based around WTC Worlds in Austria next year.

One of the things we want to do is race a half marathon in Bassano Del Grappa the week after worlds.

I pulled up the results last night.. These dudes are fast!! WAY different than our "participation" races, such as Disney, NYC, or any RR event.. AVERAGE time was 1:48, and 1/6th of the field was under 1:25!

Anyway... On the registration page it mentioned a requirement to be a member of FIDAL or an international organization recognized by FIDAL.. Does FIDAL recognize USAT? I would guess that they certainly recognize USATF, but I don't have a membership there.

So the question to you Italians, is running a "participation" sport in Italy, or is everyone there trying to "race".. Here in America it is all about "being there", and very few are concerned with their times. The idea of having a 2:15 course cutoff is preposterous here!

Also suprising about the results was the ratio of Men to Women.. In a medium sized event here in the states It is common for women to make up 55% of the field.. In the Italian race results I looked at last night it was common for women to be under 20% (and many of those were in the elite field)..

Austin Hardy -

Last edited by: Aust1227: Sep 23, 14 6:35
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about Running In Italy (FIDAL, ext) [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bassano del Grappa.

I have more experience with FITRI, which is the Italian triathlon association and they require you to have a valid medical certificate certifying that you're fit to do a triathlon and it must be renewed every year.

Assuming you mean the Mezza Maratona del Brenta it says in the regolamento that those athletes who are either registered under an affiliated national sporting body or who are unattached but have filled out a special form from the FIDAL website can participiate. There's also an extra charge of 7 euros for the second option.

It also says that like for triathlon you must have a valid medical certificate for "alla pratica dell'atletica leggera" meaning certifying your ability to practice athletics. I'm not sure if that is sidestepped by being a USAT member, but I would recommend having it just in case. It's also a smart step to take for your own health.

This is the link to the form for the "race pass" http://www.fidal.it/...no_gare_modulo_1.pdf.

And yes, we are fast, so good luck!
Quote Reply