Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tell me about IM Cozumel
Quote | Reply
The race is on my birthday this year...considering giving myself the gift of suffering. Looking for intel on the event.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about IM Cozumel [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there last year as a spectator. Here were are my key takeaways from the sidelines:

1. It's hot and humid in Coz that time of year.
2. The swim course can/may/does include a nasty current. Be a strong swimmer by race day.
3. The bike course on the back side of the island is windy.
4. The local support is fantastic.
5. Do yourself a favor and fly directly into Cozumel if you can. Transferring from Cancun -> Playa del Carmen -> the ferry -> Coz is do-able, but a nuisance.
6. Did I mention it's hot?
7. If cost wasn't an issue, I'd do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about IM Cozumel [Iron Buckeye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim course has changed to a point-to-point with the current.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about IM Cozumel [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
Swim course has changed to a point-to-point with the current.

Thanks for the correction. I just realized it was 2012 when I was there - not "last year". (Time flies).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very clear water -- watch the fish as you swim.

Flat bike, but the wind on the backside of the island is brutal.

Great local support.

T1 and T2 are separated so it can be a challenge for spectators.

Logistics were not bad. Harder than the US events, but much easier than I expected.

My 2nd favorite(and middle finish time) IM of FL, LP, AZ, CdA, and Cozumel -- LP is still my favorite even though the hotels were $$.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did it last year, in 2013, as my first IM and absolutely loved it! The swim was shorter and with the current (and hence ridiculously fast), I wasn't even tired when I got out of the water and my swim time was 45min, lol. The water was nice and clear.

I hate hills, so the flat bike course was perfect. Nonetheless, there is always one side of the island that is always windy. I actually had to switch down from the big gear to a smaller one for that 20km stretch, which only got harder each round as the wind picked up during the day. Otherwise, there are enough aid stations and the bike course is scenic (if you like the ocean and the palm trees like I do). The ONLY thing that I hated about the bike course is the BLATANT amount of drafting that took place. I hate riding in pelotons (I have a bad crash experience) and sometimes the stupid pelotons would totally overtake me and I had to either speed up (futile attempt as the peloton would catch me) or slow down. I marginally escaped a few crashes. What's worse, the people in the drafting groups would sneak up on me quietly, without having the curtesy to yell "on your left" and just when I would want to move to the right, someone from the right would also sneak up on me. So friggin annoying. The referees couldn't keep up with carding people.

The run was awesome. It was my first time running a marathon, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Since it is a flat three-loop run course, there are only a few stretches of the course where there is little cheering. Otherwise, each turn-around point at each end was filled with crowds, music and etc that made a big difference! Half-way into my run it started to pour (we are talking about torrential down pour). I really liked it because it totally cooled me off and I was lucky that running in ankle-deep puddles didn't cause any MAJOR blisters, but it may have been an issue for others.

I am a fan of the tropics and flat courses and I would definitely do this race again.
Last edited by: IronLady: Aug 8, 14 13:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm curious to know from those that did it, if you can elaborate on the general safety at the event/area? I know there are travel warnings and also news stories of disturbing things happening in the vacation areas of Mexico. I really don't want to go to an event having to worry if I'm going to make it home alive. Does anyone have insight into this?
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about IM Cozumel [Iron Buckeye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iron Buckeye wrote:
I was there last year as a spectator. Here were are my key takeaways from the sidelines:

1. It's hot and humid in Coz that time of year.
2. The swim course can/may/does include a nasty current. Be a strong swimmer by race day.
3. The bike course on the back side of the island is windy.
4. The local support is fantastic.
5. Do yourself a favor and fly directly into Cozumel if you can. Transferring from Cancun -> Playa del Carmen -> the ferry -> Coz is do-able, but a nuisance.
6. Did I mention it's hot?
7. If cost wasn't an issue, I'd do it.

Can bikes fly on the planes going direct to Coz?

"Sweep the leg...Do you have a problem with that?" - John Kreese
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about IM Cozumel [CobraKai Triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on the airline and what policies they have in effect (which seem to change weekly). I flew there direct once from Houston and once from Atlanta - both were on 757's so there's no physical reason why a bike couldn't be on either one of those planes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many ideas here... (and about drafting - here)

It was my first IM in COZ last year. I enjoyed it, and would do it again - especially now the swim course is 'fixed' and full distance again (albeit fast with the current).

Last edited by: TriSliceRS: Aug 19, 14 11:06
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about IM Cozumel [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:
I'm curious to know from those that did it, if you can elaborate on the general safety at the event/area? I know there are travel warnings and also news stories of disturbing things happening in the vacation areas of Mexico. I really don't want to go to an event having to worry if I'm going to make it home alive. Does anyone have insight into this?

I raced Cozumel in 2012. I live in Houston and to my recollection the travel warnings / advisories were much more severe in 2012 compared to now. I didn't worry one bit while I was there. The whole island comes out to support the event and on the whole it seemed very safe, even when exploring the downtown area several days after the race. I took my wife and parents along for the trip and am sure they would say the same thing. I do recall reading about one instance where someone was virtually kidnapped - or whatever it is they call it - but don't think I would let that dissuade me from returning. It was a top notch experience from the start and would not hesitate to return, either for vacation or to race.

DO fly into Cozumel. I flew United directly into Cozumel and was able to take my bike box without issue (of course, it costs a fair bit - somewhere around $250 round trip). Plan to stand in line at Customs / Immigration for a while since they only have one station and there will be a plane full of bike boxes.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about IM Cozumel [TriSliceRS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Much appreciated - thanks! Didn't have time to read through the whole thread yet - any recommendations on where to stay?

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TiDriver wrote:
...any recommendations on where to stay?
i would try something else than the Allegro... Expedia and other travel websites panned the food... and i'd agree.... i went all inclusive, but might try a different place if i did it again.... book early, the hotels will fill up.

Last edited by: TriSliceRS: Aug 19, 14 11:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you need to take the same precautions you would take anywhere and not be an idiot, but aside from that, I think Cozumel is generally considered safe and as far as I know, they haven't had any issues.

Did the race in 2010 - loved it! It's great if you want a warm weather race that is also a fun venue for the family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 2009 I stayed at Iberostar. It was a haul to get back to town for the race stuff, and mostly for family and friends there to watch. In 2011 we moved up the road to Fiesta America because we loved the all-inclusive, but wanted to be closer. Great decision.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about IM Cozumel [TryScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'd definitely try to find one of the beachfront hotels, not the ones in town... more taxi's, but hey. Go with the Presidente and you can roll out of bed to the start!!! (Not all-inclusive though.)

Quote | Reply
TiDriver wrote:
Much appreciated - thanks! Didn't have time to read through the whole thread yet - any recommendations on where to stay?

We stayed at the El Presidente. I highly recommend it!

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 2009, about 10 friends got a condo on the beach within a few miles of the swim start. They paid for someone to cook once a day. Either they worked a deal for 2 meals, or most days she prepared leftovers or sandwiches for a 2nd meal. They loved it.

Renting a Mexican Ferrari isn't expensive or hard to find. After the race we packed 3 adults with my bike and 5 year old in the back seat, while my father-in-law drove and wife sat on my lap. To this day, we are pretty sure Mexicans stereotype Americans as packing 7 people and a bike in a VW Bug.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TiDriver wrote:
any recommendations on where to stay?

We stayed at the Melia on the North end of the island. It's right at the turn around point of the run, so my family was able to relax at the pool and enjoy the all inclusive drinks while I was out on the run course. They came out to spectate based on preset time windows and I saw them each loop. It was easy enough to get a taxi to and from town and fairly inexpensive, too. Cabs were lined up everywhere during race weekend. It was nice to be a little ways away from town and escape the hectic vibe. I just wanted to relax leading up to race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not an IM Coz veteran, but I have been to Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Cozumel each multiple times over the last 6-7 years (two of those visits happened to be during IM race weekend). I can tell you that the usual advice of "don't be stupid" while you're traveling applies, BUT there is absolutely zip, zero, nada reason to worry about traveling to the area. The people are friendly, welcoming, speak English and generally are thrilled you're there spending money (either currency is just fine, thank you).

I've walked around Coz at all hours of the night, I rented a car and drove to the "wild side" of the island to bar hop, I've been miles offshore - alone- on boats operated by locals, I've trusted my life to scuba dive masters while leaving my (appropriately thin) wallet on board the boat with their crew, and I've explored virtually every nook and cranny of Cozumel's tourist and many of the non-tourist areas -- I never felt unwelcome or unsafe. Not once.

I'll also point out that law enforcement generally is pretty visible in the area. After being there multiple times I've become convinced the reason is not because there are problems, but rather because the area stands to lose hundreds of millions in tourism dollars if they allowed any significant incidents to occur.

I think the media has overblown the stories of what goes on in Mexico. You could take 1-2 incidents from the police blotter and give the impression it's unsafe to travel to any American city. ("Did you hear there was a drug-related killing in San Fransisco last weekend? OMG, Better not travel there!") Just lock up your valuables (like you'd do anywhere) and pay attention to what's around you and you'll be fine.
Last edited by: Iron Buckeye: Aug 19, 14 13:52
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about IM Cozumel [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A question re: logistics: I noticed that the "new swim" this year is a point-to-point, starting at the host hotel and going to chankanaab. Does anyone know how people will get from Chankanaab (T1) to swim start (or vice versa) on race day? Will they provide transpo or are we on our own to get to T1 to set up and then back to the swim start? Walking 2.4 miles from T1 to get to the swim start would be a pretty awful race morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:
A question re: logistics: I noticed that the "new swim" this year is a point-to-point, starting at the host hotel and going to chankanaab. Does anyone know how people will get from Chankanaab (T1) to swim start (or vice versa) on race day? Will they provide transpo or are we on our own to get to T1 to set up and then back to the swim start? Walking 2.4 miles from T1 to get to the swim start would be a pretty awful race morning.
-------------------------------------------------
in 2013 we went to the T1 area/our bikes early race morning. we did whatever was needed to get our bikes ready. we then put everything not going into the water for the swim in the designated bag and handed it in there. ditto for the T2 bag + the special needs bags. we then walked out to the road and got on a bus that drove us the 2 or so miles away to the swim start. so---no shoes, shirts, etc. just what you'll swim in + cap+ goggles. it worked fine.
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did COZ last year. They bused us from T1 at the park to the swim start at the hotel. Of course that was all a last minute change when they had to modify the swim course but I imagine since the start is the same, they will use a similar plan going forward. The current was crazy fast and the water was beautiful - crystal clear with tons to look at as you swam over the ocean floor.

That was my third IM and it was a great venue. Not an easy course but not the hardest either. The wind sucks on the bike...esp since you hit it on every loop. But it's super flat. The run last year started ok but then we had two rain showers that made it more humid but nothing that was unbearable or that really bothered me that much (and I came from the cold midwest for that race).

I stayed at the Palace Cozumel. Pricey but worth it. And right across the street from the finish line. It was also a block or so from a huge Walmart-like grocery store and maybe a half mile from the registration/packet pick up. It was a few blocks from the host hotel and the athlete's meetings. T1/bike check in was a bus ride away but you just had to walk your bike a few blocks to the host hotel and you could catch the bus there. Very easy to get around. We flew into Cancun. The bus ride to the ferry and the ferry were not a problem at all for us but we used TriBike Transport so that made it easy for us. Cozumel was extremely safe - the same as any resort destination.

A great race to consider for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Save yourself some headache and use Tri Bike Transport.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim some lightly rough waters to find out if your stomach can handle a lot of motion while in the water. Sea sickness is not uncommon during that swim.
Train in a wind tunnel for months to know what to expect for at least 14 miles per loop.
Stay in town to support local businesses.
Have fun!
Remember to always thank the volunteers. Many of the local kids work for over 15 hours on race day for you.

Last edited by: travelmama: Aug 19, 14 20:38
Quote Reply

Prev Next