Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tell me about Calgary
Quote | Reply
So turns out I'm going to be relocating to Calgary in a couple of months from Tucson. Anybody want to fill me in on where is a good place to ride/run/swim? We're currently looking at living somewhere in the NW part of town, with easy access to the LRT.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about Calgary [Tri 2 Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Repsol centre is great place to swim or run on an indoor track if you work or live close to downtown. The university of Calgary has a good running track and an okay pool. There are other City facilities around but I have not swam in them personally.

There are many pathways along the bow river for running as well as nose hill park if you like some hills.

West of the city on spring bank road / old Banff coach road / 22x is a great. place to ride. Roads are not too busy and people are generally used to cyclists since quite a few cyclists are out on any given weekend.

Even a couple of upcoming OW races in Calgary. Chinook half in June , Calgary 70.3 in July and lake chaparral in August.

It is a decent city for training, as long as you have an indoor trainer for outside of the May-September period.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just spent the past 2 weeks there for work.
I was staying in the South East part of Downtown Calgary - by stampede park - and found the Repsol Center to be a great facility. There are 2 - 50m pools and I never had any issues with finding lane space in the mornings. Its a top notch facility for sure. Former pro triathlete Jon Bird heads up the 3433 Triathlon Club out of the center. They have a good setup with treadmills and trainers in their facility.

The river trail system was good for running on.
During the work week I found it quite difficult to ride my bike from where I was at and just rode the trainer. It was about a 20km ride to anywhere that I could really train and the roads weren't that great for cyclists. On the weekend I did a ride out to Brag Creek. Once you get out of the city core the riding seemed to be pretty good.

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RepsolSport centre has everything you need and a Triathlon team called 3433. I live in the NW and do a lot of my riding in Bears Paw that has limited traffic. A little to the west is Cochrane that has a great long hill to do some training on. Plenty of trails for running as well. YMCA is building a new sports centre in the NW that will be completed in 2018. Only downfall for Calgary is the weather.

Twitter@Forsey37
Last edited by: Forsey: May 6, 17 7:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For riding, there are two popular spots I know of to start from. The Westside King's Church parking lot (just north of Highway 8 (Glenmore Trail) and 69th Street) has signs in the SW corner stating that parking is reserved for cyclists - really! From there you can access Highway 8 or Lower Springbank Road going west.

The other spot is at the intersection of Highway 22X and 37th Street SW. The city(?) put in a small parking lot in the median for cyclists (obvious in a satellite view). Generally pretty busy on the weekend. If you keep going west on 22X you will get some good hills.

The city has an exceptional pathway system. The pathway around the Glenmore Reservoir is quite nice, roughly around 15km, but there are options to make it longer.

I prefer the Eau Claire YMCA downtown for swimming (25 m pool), as it's slightly more convenient for me than the Repsol Centre. Generally not too busy first thing in the morning, although you only have 3/6 lanes available since they have some training groups starting at 6 AM. Even then, more than 3 people per lane is unusual.

There are 3 major running stores that can advise you about running routes, depending upon where you are: Running Room (multiple locations), Tech shop (couple of locations) and Strides (couple of locations). There are two major triathlon stores - Speed Theory, and Tri-It. Too many cycling shops to name them all, but Bow Cycle is very popular.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Respol center.

One of my athletes just relo'd from Perth. Winters suck she said.

I'll be there in early July for some training bc summers in Tucson suck.

As a former snowbird I'll say that you're timing is impeccable. Spend the winter in Tucson & summer in Calgary. Well played!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about Calgary [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can believe the winters as I've lived in Grande Cache (originally from Nova-Scotia). I also hear you about the summers in Tucson.... which are starting early this year! Too bad for your athlete who's from Perth, as that to me is pretty much a pristine training area, and great recovery area (Margaret Rive).

Thanks for all the great info, and keep it coming!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Winters suck she said.

I seem to recall that Calgary has the unenviable distinction of recording a snow fall in every month of the year! :)

I know a number of people who live there. Despite the crazy weather, an impressive endurance sports crowd and culture.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about Calgary [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
I seem to recall that Calgary has the unenviable distinction of recording a snow fall in every month of the year! :)
True, but chinooks can blow in at any time in the winter and give you the opportunity to get out on your bike, in shorts, in January.

The MD of Rockyview (wraps around Calgary on the north side) is finally making moves on repaving and widening Bearspaw road between Burma road and Twp Rd 262, which will make that already popular stretch a lot easier for both cars and bikes to navigate. If you locate in Tuscany or Royal Oak you have easy access to the rural roads in the northwest... the university has the running track around the Olympic Oval as well as the Oval itself, if you get into speed skating.
Branch out into mountain bike or gravel riding and you have access to hundreds of kilometers of bliss, within an hour's drive. Cochrane and Bragg Creek are both well set up to deal with on-bike essentials as well as coffee and food.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NW resident. Feel free to pm.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
As a former snowbird I'll say that you're timing is impeccable. Spend the winter in Tucson & summer in Calgary. Well played!

This should be a good timing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#LRT red line stop in community
*YMCA or City Pool in community

North Side of Crowchild Trail : Arbour Lake#*, Rocky Ridge#(early 2018*) , Dalhousie#, Citadel, Edgemont, Hawkwood, Royal Oak, Hamptons

South Side of Crowchild Trail :
Tuscany#, Scenic Acres#, Varsity#, Silver Springs (Outdoor 33.3m pool being rebuilt).

Neighborhoods north of Crowchild are better for riding out of town from your front door with the exception of Tuscany as it has its own way out of the city. Target riding area is Bearspaw as per Big Endian. Neighborhood runs are ok. NW area is all on a big slope towards the river.

Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about Calgary [Forsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean the city is building the NW Rec center & the Y is operating it. Don't get me started on that. Swim club is capped at 500 swimmers due to lack of pools.

User groups currently in a fight over access to pubically funded but privately operated facilities. The non profit board model Repsol uses would have been better.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From my experience, Calgary has too few pools for it's population, but can be ok depending on your schedule and willingness to drive.
Anywhere west of the QEII highway and outside the city limits is good riding.
Calgary's path system is pretty incredible for running...just download a trail map and start exploring.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about Calgary [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The number of pools that can be rented by user groups has stayed only grown by 1 since my last year on varsity at UofC (back pool at Repsol).

All the other growth in pool space has been negligible and quite honestly mostly a bunch of garbage little pools (case in point Vivo aka Cardel Place, even their plan for a 2nd 6 lane 25m is not adequate). Our per capita resources have shrunk and some teams now have practice on Sundays which used to be a non starter. I suspect UofC will have to use Sunday pool time in the next year or 2 to get enough practice time in for all our kids.

Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about Calgary [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some great information! Having lived in Calgary for a while but only biked in Calgary for a couple years I only know of a few great riding areas. I will have to check out bearspaw
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about Calgary [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have friends in Calgary that do triathlon and rarely swim because they can never get a lane, or have to drive 30 min each way.
I was travelling through one time and wanted to swim, and asked for suggestions and they suggested Canmore. :-)
Contrast that to Edmonton which has loads of options, and plans for more.

You have a municipal election coming up, right? Gotta get Nenshi to commit to more public facilities with proper swimming pools. The f-ing YMCA isn't going to do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cows are running rampant throughout the city, the river floods every other week, they force you to wear a stupid looking hat and then there's the never ending snow problem.

DON'T DO IT.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about Calgary [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah swimming is a problem. The only reliable times at Repsol are 5am-6am and 7:30am-9am. So either get up super early or go in late to work
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training as in working with your athlete or training for yourself.

Twitter@Forsey37
Quote Reply