Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tech Question: C2's and Shifter install
Quote | Reply
OK Gear heads: I'm switching over from Syntace SL's to C2's, and I was pleased to notice drilling for internal cable routing on the C2's. However, after routing the cable, I find that the Shimano bar end shifters I have have the cable entrance to the shifter routed on the outer edge of the mechanism, so that there appears to be no way to get the expanding part of the shifter into the end of the C2 bar and then expanded into place. The cable is in the way and it's just wrong.

So, I'm assuming either:

1 - Campy bar end shifter accomdate internal cable routing and Shimano does not; or

2 - My particular model of Shimano bar end shifters is an older model that doesn't accomadate internal cable routing; or

3 - My real name is Fred and I'm missing something obvious.

#3 is where you come in. Whasssup?

Thanks...T
Quote Reply
Re: Tech Question: C2's and Shifter install [SouthernTim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think the Shimano bar end shifters can have internal cable routing. No way the cable can be routed in there. It certainly can't be done with C2s.

I don't know about Campy stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Tech Question: C2's and Shifter install [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I beg to differ.

You can carefully locate and drill a hole in each of the aerobar extension where you would like the cable to disappear into. You'll have to jam a round screw driver in there to bend the hole so that the cable housing goes in the way you want it to. Bar tape hides all the evidence.

This will of course compromise the strength of the extension, and void any warranty but it will look sharp.

My 0.02

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Tech Question: C2's and Shifter install [paul m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, you CAN route Shimano bar ends on a Syntace C2 without drilling anything. The bar is drilled for the cable to exit, and it is possible to route the shifters up through the part that inserts into the tube. I know it's possible, I've done it. BUT I know of nobody who recommends doing this (including Shimano). Doing this forces the cable to rub against the shifter body rather firmly and WILL cause the cable to fray and eventually break. I thought this would happen while setting it up, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway. Everything worked well for a while, but suffice it to say that I no longer set up my bike this way. Besides, I like running the cable down the aero bar extension giving the bar a bit thicker feel.
Quote Reply
Re: Tech Question: C2's and Shifter install [SouthernTim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, I think the hole in the Syntace C-2 is for the Syntace Thumb OPerated braking System (STOPS), not for internal routing of the shift cable. I have not used any Campy stuff in aeons and I cetainly never used their bar end shifters, so I can't say for certain whether or not you could use the Campy shifters routed internally on the C-2.

I think the instructions that came with your bar would have specified whether or not you could internally route the shifters, as my ITM Dual F1's came with suggestions of how to internally route your shift cables. I wouldn't do it if it were me.
Quote Reply
Thanks All! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, the verdict seems to be in, and at least my name isn't Fred. I hadn't thought about the STOPS, that makes sense. Also, no instructions as I picked these up from a friend used.

So, no internal routing for me. Thanks for the experience.

T

"The mind can calculate, but the spirit yearns, and the heart knows what the heart knows."
Quote Reply