Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Team USA - Left Side Drive
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts on this - it looks very interesting, but I don't know near enough to have an informed opinion.

The article talks about the R&D Felt and Team USA did to switch the drive from the right to left side of the bike to tailor make the design for the left turn only application of the velodrome.

http://velonews.competitor.com/...ve-felt-tafrd_406510

twomarks
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA - Left Side Drive [twomarks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twomarks wrote:
I don't know near enough to have an informed opinion.

Me either, but that looks pretty cool. Can't wait to not see it not covered at all on TV.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully they have a velodrome to ride on at the Olympics. (they just fired the builder)
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA - Left Side Drive [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phog wrote:
Hopefully they have a velodrome to ride on at the Olympics. (they just fired the builder)

I'm starting to get the feeling that a lot of sports won't have a venue at this year's Olympics
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA - Left Side Drive [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
phog wrote:

I'm starting to get the feeling that a lot of sports won't have a venue at this year's Olympics

Why go with feelings when you can just get the actual info? The other facilities are ready to go and have had test events already. The velodrome is delayed, like they always seem to be for major games. PanAm's was also late, but it seems like it turned out ok.
Last edited by: Jctriguy: May 31, 16 8:00
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA - Left Side Drive [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velodrome was ready in time for London 2012 test events.

On a side note, that Zika virus looks bloody nasty.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA - Left Side Drive [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be far more worried about Zika and the water quality for the sailing, tri and OWS events, you literally do not know what you will catch
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA - Left Side Drive [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I'd be far more worried about Zika and the water quality for the sailing, tri and OWS events, you literally do not know what you will catch

Also blown out of proportion by the media reports. Legit concerns, but not nearly as bad as people make it seem when they have an interest in profiting by sensational reporting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm curious to see if Cervelo ups the bar as well with an update of the T4.

Also curious about the UCI rule for making equipment available for purchase? It appears that Felt has zero intention of selling these as they exist now. Particularly if they're not suitable for mass-start racing. I know the rule has always been kind of flaunted, but this seems like a new level.
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA - Left Side Drive [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the other hand, it's nice to see innovation.

This must have been a "duh!" moment.
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA - Left Side Drive [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phog wrote:

It's not new. I've raced people on the track with left-side drive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:

Also blown out of proportion by the media reports. Legit concerns, but not nearly as bad as people make it seem when they have an interest in profiting by sensational reporting.
Well, there's also this.

"While Brazil is perhaps known best for its entrancing music, delicious food, beautiful beaches and decadent nightlife, the country is internationally notorious for its violence and crime, too. Police shootouts are a near-daily occurrence, and about 40,000 Brazilians die every year from gun-related homicides, making Brazil the "murder capital of the world." One recent study found that, of the 50 most dangerous cities in the world, 21 are in Brazil."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/welcome-to-the-murder-capital-of-the-world/ar-BBtGbf7?li=BBnb7Kz

Seriously, I agree that this and the other problems are being blown out of proportion. But that doesn't mean everything is progressing nicely. Among other things, I'm glad I'm not swimming in the Tri/OWS venue, it is pretty late to be finishing the velodrome, and the Zika virus is pretty nasty.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure the PanAm track was a tad late, but they did manage to squeak some test events in the nick of time starting in January last year.

But yeah, with only six months of operation before the games started it was pretty touch and go.

Jctriguy wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
phog wrote:

Why go with feelings when you can just get the actual info? The other facilities are ready to go and have had test events already. The velodrome is delayed, like they always seem to be for major games. PanAm's was also late, but it seems like it turned out ok.
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA - Left Side Drive [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I'm curious to see if Cervelo ups the bar as well with an update of the T4.

Also curious about the UCI rule for making equipment available for purchase? It appears that Felt has zero intention of selling these as they exist now. Particularly if they're not suitable for mass-start racing. I know the rule has always been kind of flaunted, but this seems like a new level.

The UCI rule is very weak, so it's easy to do the bare minimum to technically comply if that's the way they chose to go. Selling one to the team manager to hang on the office wall would seem to cover it. They have 9 months after it's first used in competition too.

phog wrote:
On the other hand, it's nice to see innovation.

Maybe for some people ;-)
There was a bunch of rumors before London 2012 on what equipment BC was going to come with, and I had the LHD idea and then got scared to sound anybody out about it anywhere, in case that was it and I blew the secret. Then it wasn't. Then Andy Coggan posted he'd considered doing it in 2007 but not ended up spending the machining money.
Quote Reply