Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread
Quote | Reply
Less than a week to go before they start in Leeds and work their way down England into France & Belgium.
I really like the route - the first week is all flat(tish) so we'll get the the sprint points established and then on Bastille Day the Game of GC starts. And as Cersei Contador said, "When you play the Game of GC's you win or you blow-up."
And I love the long ITT on the penultimate day - it will possible decide who wins and who ends up in

What are your GC, KOM, Sprint, White Jersey, Team and other predictions?

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [Doubletime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GC Contador, Green for Sagan, KOM for Ten Dam. But as usual more interested to see my cousin have a great race working for the team and try to race for a stage win at some point.

Quote | Reply
Hope Garmin can pull something special. I'd love to see them dominate again. (and knock down team sky!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate to say it, but for some reason I feel myself rooting for Contador because I don't like Sky/Froome, and who else is there?
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, there is a cobbled stage this year ;)
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [TOMOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ditto. though not rooting for either, but i dislike Froome more
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Froome gets through the first week within a minute of his rivals, he wins.

I don't read too much into the Duaphine results, simply because Froome was put off his game by the crash. Yes, it indicated the AC was back in form, but I don't think he can match Froome in the mountains.

I had hopes for Nobali earlier this year, but he seems to be missing that extra something to stay up front.

I also hope I am wrong about all of the above. Wink

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GC: Froome. Sky is just too strong and Froome looked strong in Romandie and the Dauphine (at least before he crashed). Contador & Tinkoff will make it interesting but Porte and Kiryienka will crush the group in week 3, as usual. I predict Nibali is going to be a hell of a lot stronger than he's shown so far this year but will crack at least once.
Green: Kittel. He looked dominant before he got sick in the Giro and Giant's train is likely the strongest. Cav is missing some key members and Sagan doesn't really have a train. Put Sagan on a team with a reasonable train and he'd wipe the floor.
KOM: I have no idea, perhaps Mollema. He looked very good in Suisse and is due for a big performance in a Grand Tour.
White: Bardet. Very strong spring and AG2R looks tough this year. I'm really enjoying the rebirth of French cycling recently, they're pretty much the only teams I trust (outside of Garmin).

Dark horse: Talansky. The Dauphine wasn't a fluke, the guy's a genuine threat. He can climb and TT with the best of them and Garmin is sending a strong team. Also, the Garmin DSs are smart and have the ability to cause chaos. I wouldn't be surprised to see Talansky podium.

Overall, I think we're in for the best Tour in years. Certainly better than the last two Sky snore-fests.
Last edited by: hiro11: Jun 30, 14 10:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Froome will win, but I'd like to see a closer race. Contador might be able to stay close, but Nibali doesn't seem to have it this year.

Sagan for the green jersey, but he might not win a single stage.

Shot in the dark pick for the polka dot jersey would be Joaquim Rodriguez.

I have no idea on the white jersey.

TFR for the team competition. They won't have a shot as much else and they seem to fall back on this as a consolation prize.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going to go with David Miller for the yellow.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://pvcycling.wordpress.com/...st-tour-lineup-ever/

Quote:
CitSB sat down with Trek Factory Racing team manager Luca Guercilena to talk about the team’s 2014 TdF roster, announced two days ago.

CitSB: So it looks like Trek will be pinning its hopes on the single biggest bedwetter in pro cycling, his doped up older brother, and an over-the-hill-doper-who-never-got-busted?

Guercilena: That is outrageous and insulting. I wouldn’t call him a bedwetter. More like a nervous tinkler.

CitSB: Most observers agree that this is the team’s weakest Tour lineup ever. What gives?

Guercilena: Well, when we saw Team Sky drop Wiggins even though he had won the Tour of California, done well in Roubaix and Flanders, and had committed to help Froome, it was pretty clear.

CitSB: What was?

Guercilena: That to manage a winning pro cycling team you must be a complete idiot.

CitSB: Ah.

http://www.trekfactoryracing.com/...review-tour-climbers

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've gotten a little out of touch with the Tour cyclists. Why the dislike for Froome?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm kind of bummed Quintana is not in it this year. I thought he was fun to watch last year.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

GC: Froome will take it away from Contador on the ITT. I'm not thrilled about either one.
Green: Sagan (he won't dominate the sprint finishes but he'll take enough intermediate points throughout the tour)
KOM: Thibaut Pinot edges out Pierre Rolland
White: Michael Kwiatkowski (I'm expecting big things from him - maybe a top 5 overall)
Team: Omega Pharma-Quick Step will be the big surprise.

I expect Rui Costa, B. Maullema, V. Nibali, T. van Garderen, Rafal Majka to finish somewhere in the top 10
with Porte, Valverde, Schleks, Talansky, Joaquim Rodríguez - all out of top 10

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Last edited by: Doubletime: Jun 30, 14 10:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [TriFloyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

David Millar got dropped from the Garmin squad today
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doubletime wrote:

GC: Froome will take it away from Contador on the ITT. I'm not thrilled about either one.
Green: Sagan (he won't dominate the sprint finishes but he'll take enough intermediate points throughout the tour)
White: Michael Kwiatkowski (I'm expecting big things from him - maybe a top 5 overall)

I expect Rui Costa, B. Maullema, V. Nibali, T. van Garderen, A. Valverde, Rafal Majka to finish somewhere in the top 10

???
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
BLeP wrote:

David Millar got dropped from the Garmin squad today

I am aware.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I predict Froome will not win.

Agree.

And the most important thing is that THE JENS will be there!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriFloyd wrote:
I've gotten a little out of touch with the Tour cyclists. Why the dislike for Froome?

I asked the same question a few weeks ago and never got a response. I think it's:
- partly suspicion based on him making big improvements at a relatively late stage in his career (and drawing parallels between his parasitic disease and Armstrong's cancer)
- partly dislike of anybody as dominant as he was in 2013 on the basis that it's boring when the race turns into a procession
- partly a perception that he's got no charisma
- partly just general dislike of Sky. Even at the best of times people are going to root for the underdog against the team with the biggest budget and strongest squad. When the last team to dominate like that was US Postal/Discovery, that's doubly the case
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [over9000!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
over9000! wrote:
Doubletime wrote:

I expect Rui Costa, B. Maullema, V. Nibali, T. van Garderen, A. Valverde, Rafal Majka to finish somewhere in the top 10

???

I'm just hedging my bets!
I meant to leave him out of the top 10.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriFloyd wrote:
Of course all of this is debatable, but:

Because he's the archetypal watts-watching, defensive, hide behind your domestiques for as long as possible, logical rider that typifies the lack of panache in the modern peloton and personifies the boa constrictor-like Sky tactics.

Because he's stand-offish, somewhat prickly and a bit of a jerk.

Because he supplanted Wiggins, a guy who's also extremely dry, professional and taciturn but still managed to seem fascinating when compared to Froome.

Because of his TUE and inhaler suspiciousness.

Because his chicken-like, flailing, elbow n' knees, staring at his computer riding style is the ugliest I've ever seen.

Because he's not British, at all, but has a Union Jack on his bike.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
TriFloyd wrote:
Of course all of this is debatable, but:

Because he's the archetypal watts-watching, defensive, hide behind your domestiques for as long as possible, logical rider that typifies the lack of panache in the modern peloton and personifies the boa constrictor-like Sky tactics.

Because he's stand-offish, somewhat prickly and a bit of a jerk.

Because he supplanted Wiggins, a guy who's also extremely dry, professional and taciturn but still managed to seem fascinating when compared to Froome.

Because of his TUE and inhaler suspiciousness.

Because his chicken-like, flailing, elbow n' knees, staring at his computer riding style is the ugliest I've ever seen.

Because he's not British, at all, but has a Union Jack on his bike.

Plus, all he does is look at stems: http://chrisfroomelookingatstems.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
And the most important thing is that THE JENS will be there!

I think The Jens will lead a solo breakway from Leeds right into Harrogate for a stage win.

Quote Reply

Prev Next