Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Taper Question
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Have had a scan back over past posts as I'm sure the taper has been covered in depth before, but can't find what I am looking for.

Basically - Ironman in 2.5 weeks time (July 17th). My background in short is this will be IM number 14 and I have put in (for me anyway) a beast of a build up to this point. Usually I have gone off a 10 - 14 day taper with a half marathon ish run leading into it the Wednesday before.

My body is in pieces - not sleeping, struggling up stairs, can't sleep though I am knackered etc etc. Sounds a lot like the symptoms of overtraining right? Do I wind things in a bit sooner? With work and other life things, I am going to struggle to hit any serious volume in the coming week - just got a lot on. Planning on one final 20 mile (ish) run tomorrow night and then I have a half Ironman this Sunday booked in. I was toying with an 80 mile ride on the Saturday before the half IM, but not sure.

My question I guess is is there anyone out there who has deviated from their normal taper pattern for a longer one? My worry is that I will get stale for race day and waste a good year of training.
Quote Reply
Re: Taper Question [Ironmike78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For starters, depending on what model of periodization you follow, Taper may start 4 weeks out from an "A" race beginning with the end of your last build.

Taper is defined by training that is less that the last build you had. Further, I typically try and make my base the highest training load of the season, and that occurs about 3 months before the IM. The 2-3 build blocks that follow are more specific to the race distance.

So for example, if you using TSS to measure training load (I'm guessing your not, as it might have prevented overtraining, as you TSB is probably like -70 right now and I's suspect has been negative for more than 4-5 weeks....which is really bad. At some point your body can only adapt so much and absorb so much training in a period of time. After that, you're just digging a hole you may struggle to get out of, without raising your fitness peak any higher. Imagine you digging a hole near the beach, once you reach the water level, how effective is digging more? not much since the walls just keep falling in on you.

Shut if down and only do very easy spins (like 30-40%) and maybe a short 1000y swim workout or a long walk. Do this until your sleeping better. and have your energy back. Eat less carbs, lots of fruit and veggies, good fats. IF you have to choose between doing nothing for 2-1/2 weeks, or showing up with no energy and overtraining issues that could become chronic... choose having less fitness.

Ultimately you big block of training was a risk, and you may have gambled too much and really wasted your time and you'll end up no more fit than if you had trained a lot less. Don;t feel bad. It's common with the mindset needed to do IM. It's just like getting a leg injury doing the same thing. All the extra work is for nothing if you get injured.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's probably nothing you can gain from a fitness perspective in your last 2.5 weeks, maybe marginal confidence boosts (knowing your background) and worlds of harm you can do without enough rest

Given the mental state and life stuff you have coming, I'd start a harder taper than you have planned. Probably 50% of what you wrote, but that's just me.

When I find myself In a hole (maybe where you're at?) it takes me a solid week of easy effort to recover.

My tapers never go exactly as planned. I do my best up to that point and then adjust based on my body - which in almost all cases needs more rest than I think it should
Quote Reply
Re: Taper Question [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the detailed reply. My CTL is 102.4, ATL is 80.0 and TSB is 11.6 at the moment. So, it would appear that I am actually about on the sweet spot for form? I have backed off the intensity for the past couple of weeks to try and manage things, so that might explain the increasing TSB? How quickly will TSB respond to hard training? If I put in the big weekend as planned this week (4 - 5 hour ride Saturday and half IM sunday) is that likely to drop things significantly with regards to TSB? This is my concern I guess, that I am tapering up too soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, sorry, just uploaded a few extra sessions, but that doesn't make a huge impact:

CTL 104.3, 86.7 ATL, 5.7 TSB.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forget TSB / CTL / ATL etc. right now ... your body is telling you everything you need to know. IF you were one my athletes:
- The rest of this week would be light 30-45min sessions OR off until you sleep well ... non negotiable (so no 20 mile run ... zero value considering your state of fatigue)
- Half Ironman SUN? Not a chance, non negotiable
- IF things are lined up and feeling better by the weekend then maybe 4'ish hour ride one day + 20-30min transition run / up to 2hr run the other
- Evaluate after weekend ... from there on in, its a about a few key sessions, nothing overly long, swim volume stays up or increases form 14-7 days out

Doesn't really matter what your performance manager chart says when your body is smashed and you can't sleep. Find your way back from being over the edge first. Money is the bank right now ...

Best of luck,

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Last edited by: Dave Latourette: Jun 28, 16 11:35
Quote Reply
Re: Taper Question [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dave,

I guess I tend to be a more train by feel sort of guy as opposed to having things mapped out in numbers. I know the bulk of the work is banked now, and I am feeling positive about what I have done up to this point, just don't want to waste it all by being ready to race next weekend and not the one after! I don't know how much of this is attributable to outside of Ironman stress - job is pretty manic at present, working long hours, not enough time in the day etc. I rode 180km on the Sunday just gone, and that was planned to be my last long ride. My legs felt like they were strong but weak all at once if that makes sense? Faded badly towards the end though. The weekend before did a 100 mile TT and conversely felt awesome - all the power numbers great, flying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike ... you are likely seeing a training program that is putting you on the edge and a job hat is putting you over (or vice versa ;-) ... doesn't matter where the stress comes from it ends up in the same bucket. The best thing you can do now is find a way to freshen up and be ready for race day.

Best,

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply