Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tall guys - what wattage for sub hr 40k?
Quote | Reply
Taller guys, what kind of wattage are you averaging to maintain 40km/h? I'd love to hit a sub hour 40k. I'm 6'5", 180lbs.

Last week I did a 10km TT right at 15 minutes (40km/h) and needed 320 AP, 326 NP. Course was an out and back, a bit windy at 20km/h with gusts up to 35km/h. 58cm Cervelo P1, Zipp 404 front, wheelcover rear Mavic Open Pro Powertap, Giro Adv. 2 helmet.

Is this reality or am I missing some serious free speed? I ran butyl tubes so maybe some extra rolling resistance but i feel like i'm a good 30-40 watts too high!
Quote Reply
Re: Tall guys - what wattage for sub hr 40k? [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That doesn't seem too high.

I'm 6'1" and I need around 280w to hit 40km/hr.-

Whats your position like? What clothes were you wearing for the TT?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I snuck under 56mins for a 40km (windy & bad surface) TT on 270 when I had a position that was robbing power (obviously with a gain in aero).
Normally ~280 to average 40+ for a flat 70.3 ride (so clothing not as aero as TT).
I'm 6'4" and race at 200-210.

Your kit not bad so position may need some consideration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6', and, if analytic cycling is at all correct, about 220W on a perfectly flat course. I'm quite, quite slippery and run pretty fast equipment, but you've got a long ways to go. Slightly less than your power (~320) got me over 29 mph recently--comically enough the same event that Trail mentions below.

Edit to clarify.

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Last edited by: Derf: Aug 31, 14 19:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am similar to you. I usually average around 335 watts to hit intervals at 40 - 44 kph depending on wind and air pressure. On most triathlons i hit 38-40kph for 40km with avg watts of 330. I would be running disk and stinger 90's in the triathlons. I am 6 foot 5 and 186 lbs. I have been told that i should be going faster - but we big guys catch a lot of air. Your numbers make perfect sense to me. Keep up the good work. For me to get up around 45 i need numbers like 440.

Michael Hay - helped on the journey by the great folks at ZiZU Optics, (for the custom fit), and Bialkowlski's TRYSPORT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6'2", need ~255w to hit 40km/hr and I think I still have aero fruit left on the tree.
Quote Reply
Re: Tall guys - what wattage for sub hr 40k? [Kiyakon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for everyone's insight.

I was just wearing a tight fitting jersey. I was fist fitted a couple years ago so I believe my position is decent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

>Is this reality or am I missing some serious free speed?

I think you're missing free speed.

6'3" 180 here. I just averaged 45.4km/h @ 327W NP. Moderately windy, 3 laps of a quasi-circular course, so got wind in all directions. I could probably average 40km/h at well under 300W.

58cm (the largest) Felt DA, Flo Disc/90, Giro Adv 2 helmet, mediocre skin suit, shoe covers. HED Corsair bars. Latex tubes, GP3000SII tires.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 31, 14 18:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Probably missing some aero gains. I recently did a 31k TT and averaged 40.6 kph, rolling to hilly course on 285 watts. I'm 6-2 and 153 lbs. BH gc aero, a pair of jet 6s with a disc cover, regular bib shorts with fusion speed top, lg p-09 helmet...and I actually shaved my legs for that one
Last edited by: cl60guy: Aug 31, 14 18:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
55:20 for 24.4mi on 287 SRM watts and just average pavement. 6'2" 175. I'd say you have some work to do.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Tall guys - what wattage for sub hr 40k? [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About 3.5 watts per kilo.

mikebikefit.com
Facebook: Cordova Bicycle Fitting
F.I.S.T Certified
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6-2 180 and have done 58 ish on flat course at 270 SRM watts. Both early season not in shape efforts. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Tall guys - what wattage for sub hr 40k? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't it have to do with body proportions as well? If OP has very long legs for his 6'5" then getting aero is a bit more difficult thus more watts needed, correct?
Quote Reply
Re: Tall guys - what wattage for sub hr 40k? [Derf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
220W for a 6' to go 40kph ? what are you, anorexic?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'2 (used to be an inch taller but that bloody gravity never sleeps) and 92kg -93kg or about 205lb and can only recall hitting 40km/hr down a decent hill. FTP is 258 but I can't imagine doing 40km in anything better than 1:05 and would need a flat course and maybe a little tailwind. Can't swim or run either so no great worry for me. Aero is something I can only buy (bike, wheels, etc) and with my wide shoulders the value is questionable. But then again the fun....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm more similar proportions to you than the guys who are 4 or 5 inches and 30 lbs lighter...6'5" and 185-190.
Only 40k-ish TT I've done this year was a 22 miler, was 327 W to go 26.0 mph/41.8 km/h, so a low 57 were it a 40k. On the day it was my Giant Trinity Advanced, 808 front and rear (couldn't find disc cover, ended up losing category by 2.5 seconds), GP4000S tires w/ butyl tubes (I was too lazy to change), and form-fitting but not skinsuit jersey. So I left some time on the table with the jersey and the disc cover.
Similar numbers to you, albeit it was a bit faster than exactly 40km/h. I'd venture to guess the Trinity is a bit more slippery than a P1 (my wallet hopes so), and then the front wheel makes a difference as well, but in the grand scheme of things, you probably have a little more room. Not TONS of time the way the guys who are way smaller are making it sound, though.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: Tall guys - what wattage for sub hr 40k? [mc.cycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no. watts/CdA

mc.cycles wrote:
About 3.5 watts per kilo.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went 53:55 with 346 watts average for 40km. 2011 Speed concept, disk, 90 front, latex tubes with conti force/attack. LG skinsuit.

6'5, 182 pounds. Course was an out & back. I have no idea if that's a fast time for those watts or not. I would be curious what people think about my time at 346 watts?

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Re: Tall guys - what wattage for sub hr 40k? [severinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
severinj wrote:
Wouldn't it have to do with body proportions as well? If OP has very long legs for his 6'5" then getting aero is a bit more difficult thus more watts needed, correct?

I don't know the answer though this is the case for me. I'm not a great fit for the P1 as I have a shorter torso compared to my legs and arms (6'9" wingspan)
Quote Reply
Re: Tall guys - what wattage for sub hr 40k? [gunsbuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The width of your shoulders has no bearing om the benefit of wheel and frame aero.

Conquer your limitations rather than insist on them

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Tall guys - what wattage for sub hr 40k? [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dopers.Suck wrote:
Went 53:55 with 346 watts average for 40km. 2011 Speed concept, disk, 90 front, latex tubes with conti force/attack. LG skinsuit.

6'5, 182 pounds. Course was an out & back. I have no idea if that's a fast time for those watts or not. I would be curious what people think about my time at 346 watts?

I would say, based on my experience above with a mix of intentionally/lazily leaving some aero on the table, combined with you riding harder than I did at a little smaller than I am, that all makes sense to me.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'3" and was 199 lbs when I did the LAMBRA ITT championships on the 24th. Completely (and I mean completely flat course, 20ft total elevation gain) with a headwind out, tailwind back. I rode a 58:08 on normalized power of 263 watts.
Quote Reply
Re: Tall guys - what wattage for sub hr 40k? [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar proportions as well 6'4" and 183lbs. Takes me a bit more wattage than it should I guess but 40K in 55:50 at 348 AP on a flat 3 loop course. Wind was 4-7mph.
Quote Reply
Re: Tall guys - what wattage for sub hr 40k? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

>Is this reality or am I missing some serious free speed?

I think you're missing free speed.

6'3" 180 here. I just averaged 45.4km/h @ 327W NP. Moderately windy, 3 laps of a quasi-circular course, so got wind in all directions. I could probably average 40km/h at well under 300W.

58cm (the largest) Felt DA, Flo Disc/90, Giro Adv 2 helmet, mediocre skin suit, shoe covers. HED Corsair bars. Latex tubes, GP3000SII tires.

Wow, that's similar to my previous set up. 56cm DA but otherwise same size 808/900 w/ Vittoria tubulars so a bit more crr, good suit, same helmet.
45.5kph @330NP.
My new bike is a bit more slippery. Now 49.2kph @341NP. I agree that <:60 for 40k @<300w is probable even for big guys.

-SD
Quote Reply

Prev Next