Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Talk me out of the Biknd Helium
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I am looking for negative feedback on Biknd's Helium V4.

The Helium seemingly offers the protection of a hard case and the convenience of a soft case. Limited, but sensible, disassembly of components such as the cockpit, seat post and derailleur is required. I like the integrated chassis, the protective nose cone and protective base. The air bladder is a creative solution to package everything together and protect the bike laterally. The bag looks "solid" once packed and seems to be the most protection possible in a soft case. I've found nothing but positive reviews.

This is where you come in. Please share bad experiences with Biknd in general and the Helium in particular. Skeptics and critics are welcome. Please tell me why I should avoid this bag.

Edit: To transport Cervelo's NP3, size 58.

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: Mar 12, 17 19:43
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me out of the Biknd Helium [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the jetpack and have been very pleased with its durability and ease of use. I cannot remember why I Chose that over the helium. I've had mine a few years now. Maybe something different in v4 because I look at that and think I like it better...

Edit to add - I remember why i went jetpack over helium. I liked that both front and rear locked into the metal base frame. Rather than just the front on the helium.
Last edited by: Jnags7: Mar 12, 17 19:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have second hand knowledge of zipper issues and the bladder losing/not holding air on some earlier/older versions of the case only after a few uses.
Again, early production models and do not know if this is still an issue or not.

GreatScott wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for negative feedback on Biknd's Helium V4.

The Helium seemingly offers the protection of a hard case and the convenience of a soft case. Limited, but sensible, disassembly of components such as the cockpit, seat post and derailleur is required. I like the integrated chassis, the protective nose cone and protective base. The air bladder is a creative solution to package everything together and protect the bike laterally. The bag looks "solid" once packed and seems to be the most protection possible in a soft case. I've found nothing but positive reviews.

This is where you come in. Please share bad experiences with Biknd in general and the Helium in particular. Skeptics and critics are welcome. Please tell me why I should avoid this bag.

Edit: To transport Cervelo's NP3, size 58.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me out of the Biknd Helium [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a Jetpack for 4 or so years. At first, I'd arrive after a flight and the wheel protection would have deflated. However, in fairness to them, each time it happened they UPS'd over night a replacement.

Anyway, perhaps 2 years ago, they sent replacements that have been fault free - I believe it was the material and design of the protection that caused them to keep failing - the news ones have been perfect

the bike is light - carries a bunch of stuff, travels long haul half a dozen times a year, I have put my road / tri / enduro and gravel bikes in it and its great
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me out of the Biknd Helium [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Echoing what's been said above, a friend had one on a demo shortly after they first came out. Bladders lost air over (a short) time. No experience of later models, or how easy it is to fit a replacement bladder.

Having worn a plastic boot with inflatable bladders when I broke my foot, I think I'd regard them (the bladders) as more like consumables. That said, one could say the same of the wheels on a hard case.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me out of the Biknd Helium [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done probably half a dozen longhaul's with connections with the new ones and no issues.

The issue - I think was a combination of the type of plastic and the valve. I think they were susceptible to pinch flats and the valves had no relief for over inflation

the new ones are great - very different

easy to replace in the jetpack, can not speak to helium

that said, the case is awesome, weighs nothing, easy to maneuver. its made of cordura, so I am beginning to see wear on corners but not sufficient to warrant doing anything about it, and its travelled perhaps a couple of dozen or more flights.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me out of the Biknd Helium [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsa deflates the blatters to see the bike. Lots of trips, no problem keeping them inflated prior to travel, goes through tsa and never comes out pumped up. Bought a evoc, tired of wasting my time with this bag. Straps all broke, wheels broke, never atayed pumped up, Bad design for tsa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I replied to you in the other thread, but I want to also mention that Biknd also made a special case for the new Cervelo P5X. From what I can see, it didn't how specific to the P5X is, but I didn't look very close either. I am not sure if you would need to disassemble the aerobar for that case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the V3. Had some issues early on with the bladders deflating. Sent Biknd an email and got a reply back the next day. They sent me upgraded airbags for free right away with no hassle!
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me out of the Biknd Helium [bluetreefour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've not flown through or to the US in more than a decade but with the new bladders no problems anywhere else in the world
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one. Several trips. Never deflated, despite the above comment. Seems to protect fairly well. I have no faith in baggage handlers, so this gives me at least a bit of relief.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Scott,

Let me know if you have any questions in regards to our product. We have recently upgraded the Helium v4 to include new nylon airbags and plastic exterior sheeting to provide more protection plus many more features.

regards
Biknd
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me out of the Biknd Helium [bikndtravelcase] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi! Thanks for chiming in. Honestly, I'm having trouble finding reasons not to buy this case. It appears very well designed.

Are you aware of any reoccurring problems with damaged bikes in the case? I know there are always the unavoidable outliers. I'm interested in reoccurring problems and how to avoid them. Slowtwitch is a good place to flush out those sorts of things, so the fact that nothing has come up yet is a good sign.

Can you address the deflated airbags referenced by a few other users in earlier posts? Is that an issue to manage?

Any concerns about fitting a size 58 Cervelo P3 into the case?

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Scott,

Of course no problem. Yes, we have had some issues with the airbags however we have always replaced them free of charge and are happy with the new technolgy that we are coming out in the Helium v4. The most important reason of why we produce these products is to protect your bike. Touching wood we have been very lucky with bike damage. If you remove the airbags in the old generations then the protection becomes the same as the other soft shell products on the market.

You will notice in the new Helium and Jetpack that we also now include plastic sheeting (that is cut so that the case can be folded down) in the outside layer with foam that adds even more protection.

The case is designed for the type of bikes that you mention.

Hope that helps

Biknd
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me out of the Biknd Helium [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for helping me identify this case in the other thread, and for sharing your experience. I am impressed with the design and found nothing but positive reviews.

I started this thread to flush out negative feedback and am encouraged by the absence of anything significant so far. I'm very close to buying this case!

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that helps! I appreciate your transparency.

Here comes the big question......how about a discount code for Slowtwitch members? I promise you'll get at least one order out of it!

Edit: Looking at the other thread, looks like two orders!

Regards,

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: Mar 13, 17 19:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used an older version of the Helium and had no issues. When I decided to buy my own case I went with the Jetpack because it seemed like it would fit my mtb better.

As mentioned before the only issue I have had is with the bladders loosing some air. Even the one time I forgot to pump them up before leaving I had no issues, and I had my disc, a front, and a spare rear all packed in the bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I have a cervelo p5x and was wondering whats the difference between the Helium V4 and the specific for the cervelo p5x. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've sent you a PM.

The case is easy to use and light. Roomy enough to pack other things in it as well.
Airports that have big X-ray machines don't need to open it up. Smaller ones will hand inspect it so keep small items contained in bags etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Devil's advocate. Just moved across the country and got the Helium 4. Put two sets of wheels and a spare bike in the case and sent it with movers along with some accessories. Was on the moving truck from Nov 26th to Dec 7th and it showed up 1800mi later in fine condition, bike unscathed, and air bladders still perfectly inflated. Was able to pack it down after into its small storage bag and stick it in the corner of a closet. It's built extremely well from what I have been able to tell getting my hands on it.

Quote | Reply
I *think* mine is a 3 or 4 year old jet pack. Best case ever! However, 1) do I need to do something to check the airbags before summer travel? 2) I am really starting to consider the P5X . . . how much does enhance ease of packing fitting into the equation over my current P5?

Thank you for the great product, thanks for participating here, and thanks in advance for the guidance.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me out of the Biknd Helium [42alos40] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No problems, can u send me your email address and I will send over all of the details.thks
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me out of the Biknd Helium [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume you’ll be changing your name then.

Just to close the loop, I’m quite pleased with my Biknd Helium. IMO, it offers the protection of a hard case and the convenience of a soft case. Quality materials, thoughtfully designed, with excellent customer service. This is a company that cares about their product and cares about their customers.

Baggage fees would be the only downside, but I surrendered that battle some time ago.

Scott

Edit; spell check
Last edited by: GreatScott: Dec 10, 17 10:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve had one of these cases for about 3/4 years now and although I did have some issues with the bladders in the early days, biknd’s customer service has been nothing short of fantastic. All replacement parts sent free of charge to the UK from Canada. Even when I had a wheel break on me through no fault of biknd, they still sent me a replacement free of charge. I would still use pipe lagging on my bike frame inside the bag, just to stop it getting marked by all the other clag I put in the bag with the bike. I recommend Armaflex pipe lagging by the way!
I also like the fact the bag packs up to about the size of a golf bag when not in use. This makes it easy to get in the loft for most of the year.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me out of the Biknd Helium [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey David,

Regarding your airbags you can inflate them over a period of 12 hours to see if there are any issues. If there are please send us an email at service@biknd.com.

For ease of packing,its a good question and obviously Cervelo looked at the packing procedures during conception of the bike (with the split bars etc.) The actual packing process is similar to what you would do with the P5 but the difference comes with the parts provided in the case as they are designed around the uniqueness of the P5X bike. The best way for me to explain this is a standard off the shelf suit vs a tailor made suit. You will put them on in the same way but the fit will be better with the tailor made.

For referencing you can see a packing video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwxoVASZaYg to see how everything comes together.

Hope that helps

Biknd
Quote Reply

Prev Next