Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Taking pics of bikes in transition by volunteers
Quote | Reply
Is there a reason they do this at ironman events? I was told I had not choice when I asked if I had to have my bike photographed at Louisville. I don't read all the fine print and waivers when I sign up for a race, but I still kind of doubt that ironman actually has the arrogance to actually have direct wording like 'we must be able to photograph your bike prior to race' in the waiver. Does anyone have any info on this? It's not that I don't like my bike being photographed..... I don't like being FORCED to have it photographed
Quote Reply
Re: Taking pics of bikes in transition by volunteers [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was under the impression it was for insurance reasons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing they either had an insurance issue one time (hey, my bike had $10K Lightweight wheels and a gold-plated Di2), or it's in case someone complains about a rules violation. Could also be to help with the Kona Bike count.

The waiver is fairly generic about being able to use your likeness, not sure about snapping your equipment.

Pictures of your bike (with you on it) will be taken race day, anyway.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Aug 31, 14 12:29
Quote Reply
Re: Taking pics of bikes in transition by volunteers [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure the waiver you sign has a section "you allow WTC to use any image in whatever capacity they want to do" as almost all waivers include this type of allowance.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pictures were taken of all the bikes going in transition in Mount Tremblant in 2012 and also this month in Kalmar Sweden. I think this has become a standard practice, that is not explained at the pre race meetings or in the athletes guide. I think its to protect every one involved and with digital imaging it could be of great importance to local law enforcement if a bunch of bikes went missing. Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote friesen It's not that I don't like my bike being photographed..... I don't like being FORCED to have it photographed[/quote]
Can you explain this further? I don't get it.
Quote Reply
Re: Taking pics of bikes in transition by volunteers [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's strictly a matter of principle. I have no problem tipping a waitress for great service. But I do have a problem when some restaurants include the tip into your bill. Then it isn't a tip anymore, it's a tax.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're forced to have your picture taken while racing. What's the difference? It's probably the only decent pic you'll get with you and your bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there's a lot of stuff in life that bothers you I'm betting.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:
It's strictly a matter of principle. I have no problem tipping a waitress for great service. But I do have a problem when some restaurants include the tip into your bill. Then it isn't a tip anymore, it's a tax.
You aren't forced to do anything at a WTC event. You can choose not to compete if it bothers you so much.

Why pick out this one thing to fuss about? You are told when to rack your bike, where to rack your bike, when to start, what you are required to wear, etc etc
Quote Reply
Re: Taking pics of bikes in transition by volunteers [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish they would quit the cavity searches. Ever since Obama got elected, we are all forced to bend FOWARD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow.
Quote Reply
Re: Taking pics of bikes in transition by volunteers [spider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terrific
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:

But how have you been harmed or even inconvenienced by them taking a picture of your bike? Are you worried the camera will steal the soul of your bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Taking pics of bikes in transition by volunteers [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
U hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what I'm afraid of
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Winner for Dumbest Theead of the Day.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Taking pics of bikes in transition by volunteers [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And yet you read it, and responded to it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dumb threads are fun. :) That's why you win.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the very least I think WTC should explain why they want to take pictures of the bikes. And give an honest, precise reason, not a generic explanation like "for your safety".

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:
It's not that I don't like my bike being photographed..... I don't like being FORCED to have it photographed

Your bike could always try suing for illegal use of its likeness.
Quote Reply
Re: Taking pics of bikes in transition by volunteers [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll give you points for being clever.... And funny
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Short answer, as stated previously many times: If you don't want to be forced to do something that's in the Terms and Conditions, then don't do the race. Pretty simple.

Here is the relevant section of the Terms and Conditions that you agreed to and probably didn't read:

Quote:
- I grant to WTC, its affiliates, designees and assignees the right and permission to photograph, film, record and/or otherwise capture in any media the name, image, voice, written statement, photograph and/or visual likeness of me and/or my family members (collectively “images”), with right to sublicense, during the activities or otherwise, without compensation, for use for any purpose in any media throughout the world in perpetuity, including but not limited to use in broadcasts, photographs, publications, podcasts, webcasts, motion pictures, brochures, CDs, DVDs, internet websites, television, and/or in any related commercial, informational, educational, advertising, or promotional materials. I understand that all ownership and copyright rights in the images shall be owned by WTC and I waive any inspection or approval rights. I understand and agree that my name, bib number and race results will be available to the public during and after the Event.

This is from IM Louisville 2015, but I'd be willing to bet that a very similar statement (if not identical) was in the 2014 T&C as well.

Don't make a fuss just because you didn't read the T&C.
Quote Reply
Re: Taking pics of bikes in transition by volunteers [Anando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At a few IM Races I've done - you and your bike are photographed entering to rack and when you claim the bike after. Makes good sense for security reasons ?

Some races you can take bikes out with almost no restrictions. Less theft should equal less insurance costs being passed on to us ?

Does that make sense to you ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a fan of being forced to do anything. By the WTC or TSA or whatever. But, of course, by voluntarily entering and paying big bucks to race, or by voluntarily deciding to fly to a destination, the "forced" part kinda goes out the window. It seems that we're undergoing those things (and what they entail) because we choose to.

And, I gotta say, taking photos of bikes is not a bad idea. Makes it far less likely that a bike will be stolen, or that fraud will take place, or that a stolen bike might never be recovered. Me?, I want to not lose my bike, preferably ever. Even if it means that someone gets to take a really exciting photo of it.

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Aug 31, 14 17:18
Quote Reply
Re: Taking pics of bikes in transition by volunteers [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
friesen wrote:
You aren't forced to do anything at a WTC event. You can choose not to compete if it bothers you so much.

Why pick out this one thing to fuss about? You are told when to rack your bike, where to rack your bike, when to start, what you are required to wear, etc etc

That settles it, next race I'm racking my bike with the pros
Quote Reply

Prev Next