Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Taking it up a notch
Quote | Reply
Looking for some good examples to motivate me. I've been doing the tri thing for about 8 years. Started with a sprint then to oly then 4 HIM's and did first IM this year (IMoo). Finished IMoo in 11:41. Felt good most of the day with the exception of the obvious pains one will see at that distance. My training over the years has been just volume based. I've followed plans very closely (I've had good luck with the Beginner Triathlete plans) for the volume / time, but haven't ever really done consistent interval training. Most of my training is at a constant pace, depending on how I feel that day or the distance assigned. I guess I never put myself into serious pain. Not saying I don't push hard on hills on certain days or do temp runs when I'm feeling good, but just never have done it on a consistent basis.

So after that rambling, I'm looking for real world examples of people is a similar situation. Did your times at all distances dramatically get better when you cranked up intensity? Any other advice on more intense training? I understand I won't be going intense all the time and will still doing plenty of LSD runs and rides.

I'm thinking of starting with a PM on the bike this year and doing some Trainer Road stuff. Then just get more disciplined with intervals / tempo work on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Taking it up a notch [Burhed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in the same boat as you. After a successful first IM based on only Zone 1 training and without injury I am planning to add intervals to both running and biking.

I plan on doing two each week for both running and biking. I am going to keep it simple and probably lean more towards improving my running over the winter/spring.

For running I am planning on starting with 4-5x4'@~10k pace w/ 2' RI and 12-15x80'@~5k pace and will build on these throughout looking for consistency each week over before increasing pace. I will also so 1 long run 90-120' and 2-3 moderate runs for 5-6 workouts per week.

For biking, kind of the same philosophy starting with 4x4'@110% FTP w/ 4' RI and 10-12x1'@ 125%......my FTP may be off a bit but that is the %ages I am using for now. I will also do a 90' ride and 60' ride at whatever %FTP feels right.

Given the local climate, once spring rolls around I will maintain those workouts and begin to build my volume on the other days.

Good luck!!
Last edited by: triordie1994: Oct 30, 14 14:48
Quote Reply
Re: Taking it up a notch [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just bumping this thread, didn't seem to get any traction last time (maybe because it's a boring topic?).

Looking for some good motivating examples of increased intensity improving race results. I'm sure there's people that have done the same race year to year and changed training plans with improved results.
Quote Reply
Re: Taking it up a notch [Burhed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Something like this might help:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply