Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tahoe or Boulder
Quote | Reply
In a surprise move, my wife seems open to let me do an Ironman next year. Of all the options I mentioned, these were the two locations she said she'd like to visit the most.

Which one would you guys choose? Scenery, location and things to do are more important than course difficulty.
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe or Boulder [tovi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was a little underwhelmed by Boulder. I live in the Sierra and just expected more. The town (Boulder) is a cool little town and I didn't venture around to check out the mountains. The race was nice and I'd go back but not a gorgeous race. Swim was in a standard reservoir - bike wasn't that scenic - and run was nice in parts along the creek and not so nice in other parts along roads. I haven't done Tahoe but Tahoe is gorgeous in general. No idea about the race itself but Lake Tahoe is nice and Squaw valley is nice....

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tovi wrote:
In a surprise move, my wife seems open to let me do an Ironman next year. Of all the options I mentioned, these were the two locations she said she'd like to visit the most.

Which one would you guys choose? Scenery, location and things to do are more important than course difficulty.

Definitely would choose Tahoe if you're in it for the scenery and such. Stunning location and I'd assume just as many if not more things to do as in Boulder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm biased but my pick would be tahoe. The boulder bike is not scenic at all, while Tahoe is one of the best in the world.

Tahoe lodging is probably a bit more, but I'm not sure about that.

Tahoe is also harder.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe or Boulder [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Boulder and would not do it again, Tahoe but I've not been there or done the race

Giddy up, there's no reason to look behind you, you're not heading that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tahoe. Did the full last year and loved finishing an EPIC race. I am ready to go for the IMLT 70.3 in a week. Weather is going to be perfect this year.

You will not find a more beautiful race to do, and is great for the family.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My vote is for Tahoe too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd choose Tahoe. But it would depend on her interests. Boulder has a better town scene, IMO... Better restaurants, shopping, etc. if she's into outdoorsy things, both choices are great, but I might give the nod to tahoe since it's so damn beautiful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did both Tahoe last year and Boulder this year. My girlfriend and I arrived 8 days before both races.

Pre-Race: Being from Kansas City, both locations are a breath of fresh air. If you love the mountains then you will have a good time at both places. I will say that we had a better time at Boulder because of the options on restaurants and activities. Spent some time in Estes park, chautauqua park, hiked 3 or 4 times, and had many great restaurant options, my girlfriend and myself both being very picky eaters. The scenery of Tahoe has a more overall beauty to it in my opinion, and certainly has that mountain town ski resort feel to it. Had a blast in both places but Boulder wins the pre-race contest.

Swim: In a reoccurring theme, Tahoe blows boulder out of the water on beauty. Swimming in clear waters of Tahoe vs. murky boulder reservoir is no contest. However, Tahoe is slightly more challenging. At around 6300ft vs 5300ft in boulder, you feel that elevation difference. I had to slow myself multiple times at Tahoe and didn't have any problems at Boulder. Even though it is harder, Tahoe wins by a large margin for the swim.

Bike: Again, Tahoe beats boulder by way of beauty, by a huge amount. The Boulder bike may as well be the farmlands of Kansas but at 5500 ft. The bike in Boulder was easy, really easy actually and really fast. That said, the conditions this year were as close to perfect as you can get for a bike ride. Tahoe was significantly harder, yet significantly more enjoyable. Long sustained climbs. I had a 33min T1 (Flat tire & Bottleneck in tents), an additional flat on course, nutrition plan went to shit, I was under dressed and freezing, yet enjoyed the Tahoe bike massively more.

Run: This one is close between the two locales. Tahoe wins on scenery again, but not by as wide of a margin as the other two disciplines. Tahoe is harder again, but not significantly. Cons for Tahoe: 6500ft, not as good of crowd support (still great, don't get me wrong), finish in small squaw valley (not as many good eats and shops.) The crowds around Boulder creek path were massive, support every step of the way. I will say its a draw for the run, pick your poison.

Overall race: If you want a harder race but unbeatable race scenery Tahoe, hands down. If you want incredible race week scenery and better food, but an easier and in my opinion, largely less enjoyable race day, Boulder it is.

Side note: If you plan on Tahoe, make sure to have a very versatile nutrition plan, and a wide range of gear available. You need to change a lot of things on a 50 degree race day when you have been training in 90 degree heat all summer. Also, one week of elevation will only get you a minor amount of acclimation at both locations. Don't forget to ramp it down on race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After racing IMLT in 2013, I am very selective in the use of the word epic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tahoe Tahoe Tahoe....top three reasons to pick it!
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe or Boulder [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Tahoe Tahoe Tahoe....top three reasons to pick it!

Are you coming this year?

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe or Boulder [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wanted to, but it was just to complex as I have a business trip to Asia and doing Tahoe makes it tight (plus hauling all the bike gear all over the place). I want to do the full IM in Tahoe next year...in an ideal world, Austria 70.3 WC + Chicago ITU WC + IM Tahoe. Gotta dream a bit!
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe or Boulder [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I wanted to, but it was just to complex as I have a business trip to Asia and doing Tahoe makes it tight (plus hauling all the bike gear all over the place). I want to do the full IM in Tahoe next year...in an ideal world, Austria 70.3 WC + Chicago ITU WC + IM Tahoe. Gotta dream a bit!

Sorry you cannot make it.

That is one great set of races for next year. Seems you are able to sign up for all of them now? But wait, I thought ITU WC was like Sept 15-20th. If so, I think Tahoe might be Sept 20th next year?

If I get lucky and into Chicago, we might cross paths.

Last edited by: h2ofun: Sep 14, 14 13:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let your wife pick. Then she'll be more open to letting you sign up for another one in the near future. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe or Boulder [aztri81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually wanted to do Challenge Penctincton but she narrowed it down to either Boulder or LT. I think LT is going to be it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both are great venues. If you plan to venture out afterwards at all, Rocky Mountain Nation Park has as much to offer as anywhere. More bike climbing in Tahoe, a hotter run in Boulder. Take those things into consideration course wise.
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe or Boulder [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J_R wrote:
Both are great venues. If you plan to venture out afterwards at all, Rocky Mountain Nation Park has as much to offer as anywhere. More bike climbing in Tahoe, a hotter run in Boulder. Take those things into consideration course wise.

Take her on a trip to Yosemite. Or Napa. Or carmel. So many things so close to do.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
J_R wrote:

Take her on a trip to Yosemite. Or Napa. Or carmel. So many things so close to do.

The Sierra Foothills has a lot of wineries as well and is developing into a great place to visit plus it's significantly closer to Tahoe and certainly less uptight than Napa/Sonoma.
Last edited by: camtdc: Sep 15, 14 8:13
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe or Boulder [camtdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
camtdc wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
J_R wrote:

The Sierra Foothills has a lot of wineries as well and is developing into a great place to visit plus it's significantly closer to Tahoe and certainly less uptight than Napa/Sonoma.

Personally, I have never seen anything neat about Napa, but since I do not drink I guess that takes the fun out of it.

But Tahoe, Yosemite, Monterey Bay, Gold country where I live, 17 mile drive in carmel, San Francisco. Just so much too do. Please did I say great weather.
One can snow ski, then water ski, then surf in the ocean all in one day.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course, you're assuming that Lake Tahoe goes on as an Ironman next year. Given the conditions last year, and the fact that they didn't change the date
but added a half at the same location, I wouldn't be surprised at all if LT is a 70.3 next year, with no full.
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe or Boulder [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Of course, you're assuming that Lake Tahoe goes on as an Ironman next year. Given the conditions last year, and the fact that they didn't change the date
but added a half at the same location, I wouldn't be surprised at all if LT is a 70.3 next year, with no full.

Why, they have over 1700 in the full. What RD would not die for that many races. What basis do you or others have to say the sky is falling on the full?
Now the ash is falling from the fires right now at Tahoe, and my home in Auburn, but, ....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basis? Previous data from tough races in North America for instance.
St George. Utah. Louisville moving to later in the year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:

September 20th, 2015. At least that's what's listed in the FAQ's on the website. Probably a three year contract was signed. I saw the word Epic to describe this race in an earlier post. I agree. The Donner Lake 70.3 is a great warm-up race in late July.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Basis? Previous data from tough races in North America for instance.
St George. Utah. Louisville moving to later in the year.

But none of them, IMO, have the positives of Tahoe. We shall see but I think the full and half together can be a great team race setup.

Quote Reply

Prev Next