Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [Lar Dog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lar Dog wrote:
Sad for everyone involved....

Holy Sh!t!!!! What is the weather like?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel so horrible for those athletes who have spent so much time and money getting ready just to be turned away when they're standing on the beach.
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Smoke from forest fire(s). Kings fire I believe they said
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [Flyingshim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fire authorities deemed air quality unsafe and made the call...

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lar Dog wrote:
Fire authorities deemed air quality unsafe and made the call...

Screw that. This call should lie totally on IM. It was super smokey last night, and the call could have been made then... Don't try and put this on the fire authority that is working their ass off to try and put this thing out!
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [Echo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ummm, actually it is the fire authority who makes this call. If they made the call last night and winds shifted you'd be complaining that they should have waited.

It sucks but this is no ones fault.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [Echo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. The call should have been announced last night or even sooner. It's not like the air quality was going to improve any.
My sympathies to the athletes and their crew.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The sidebar "Top Story" is rather awkward on the Tahoe Live Tracking page:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wonder if this race is going to be able survive this. I sure hope so.

Is this a little Karma for WTC? I am sure they are going to lose a boat load on this event now that they will likely have to refund the competitors.

-----

"i’m the one guy who says don’t force the stupid people to be quiet — i want to know who the morons are." -- mark cuban
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i believe fault lies with the arsonist.

tough to say who makes the decision, but the announcer on the ironmanlive swim exit cam's words were that the authorities deemed the conditions hazardous, but "we" as in Ironman made the decision to cancel the race. nothing said about fire authorities making the call to cancel.
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [tridiego] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridiego wrote:
they will likely have to refund the competitors.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope the race survives. I was standing in the water when they cancelled. Bummer but right call as many would race on the smoke to their detriment (I likely would have). I think they have the right to not offer refunds due "to act of god"
(fire) but I've never read the fine print. I think WTC does what they can to compensate people yet it'll be limited no matter what....I vote they give the kona spots to the 50 who traveled farthest....

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that race is totally snake bit. Horrible conditions two years in a row. Who would sign up for that thing now? To bad for the athletes. I cannot imagine waking up this morning thinking the day will end being an Ironman finisher and instead, you are heading home before lunch. WTC may be refunding the entry fee (or they really should), but competitors are all out of pocket a lot more than just entry fees. I don't blame WTC, the Forest Service, or anyone else. I would just never sign up for that event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love to rip on WTC but...

they didn't start the fire!

looooooooooooolololol

This happened to my wife and I two years in a row at the Hammerfest stage race. Nearly burned alive the first time too. Seriously.

such is life
sometimes potato have worm

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [vmeikle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vmeikle wrote:
Agreed. The call should have been announced last night or even sooner. It's not like the air quality was going to improve any.
My sympathies to the athletes and their crew.

I would have been p*ssed if they made the call last night....winds could have shifted and cleared things out. Absolutely the right call to wait until the last minute....give it every chance to clear out before canceling.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a bummer!!!!!! Was gonna race this year but could not fit it into the schedule....

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have been p*ssed if they made the call last night....winds could have shifted and cleared things out. Absolutely the right call to wait until the last minute....give it every chance to clear out before canceling.
-----
I agree. People forget that last year there was a fire too, the smoke would come and go, even race week. If they cancelled and it turned out to be a clear sunny day...wow the back lash on that. I think most athlete's would agree to make the call today.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Sep 21, 14 7:50
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
that race is totally snake bit. Horrible conditions two years in a row. Who would sign up for that thing now? To bad for the athletes. I cannot imagine waking up this morning thinking the day will end being an Ironman finisher and instead, you are heading home before lunch. WTC may be refunding the entry fee (or they really should), but competitors are all out of pocket a lot more than just entry fees. I don't blame WTC, the Forest Service, or anyone else. I would just never sign up for that event.

I agree. I seriously doubt IMLT survives. 2013 conditions begat turning the race into an IM and a 70.3 in order to increase participation... so the IM portion of the race was clearly hanging on for dear life anyway. This pretty much nails the coffin shut. I hope they keep the 70.3 race.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longboarder wrote:
-----
I agree. People forget that last year there was a fire too, the smoke would come and go, even race week. If they cancelled and it turned out to be a clear sunny day...wow the back lash on that. I think most athlete's would agree to make the call today.

And really what would have been the point of making the call last night? Nothing would have changed except athletes would have been able to get drunk and sleep in.

Everyone had still travelled in, money had been spent, etc. might as well wait until the last minute in the hope that things improve.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longboarder wrote:
-----
I agree. People forget that last year there was fire too, the smoke would come and go, even race week. If they cancelled and it turned out to be a clear sunny day...wow the back lash on that. I think most athlete's would agree to make the call today.

Agree, I think with the amount of chatter about the fire everyone in town knew that there was a chance the race may be cancelled. My friend texted me Friday and said "I don't know how they can pull this off". I have raced near fires many times and the air quality changes hour by hour depending on the wind. Don't know how this venue can survive.
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it an act of God or did some idiot start the fire?

Roar Lion Roar
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I seriously doubt IMLT survives. 2013 conditions begat turning the race into an IM and a 70.3 in order to increase participation... so the IM portion of the race was clearly hanging on for dear life anyway. This pretty much nails the coffin shut. I hope they keep the 70.3 race
-----

It's not looking good for both. If the race was on Sat last year it would of been canceled too with the storm.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [sevenride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sevenride wrote:
Is it an act of God or did some idiot start the fire?

I believe it was arson.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply

Prev Next