Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tacx Vortex Smart trainer versus PowerTap P1 Pedals
Quote | Reply
I need a power read to start training with TrainerRoad. I do 95% of my year-round bike training indoors, with a few metric and century rides before summer events.

DC Rainmaker has thrown holy water on both the Tacx Vortex Smart trainer ($550) and PowerTap P1 Pedals ($1,200 plus unit head, using my current Kurt Kinetic trainer). I am leaning to the Tacx trainer because it saves over $1,000 (with receiver) and because I like that TR matches resistance to the course. That said, I'd give up the ability to take the show outdoors; P1 pedals will travel but don't have TR-controlled resistance and they cost a ton more.

Is this the correct analysis, or am I missing something? Does anyone have a strong feeling one way or another? (kinda pink)

"Some guys they just give up living, and start dying little by little piece by piece. Some guys come home from work and wash up, then go racin' in the street." Bruce Springsteen
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Vortex Smart trainer versus PowerTap P1 Pedals [Bigcreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you don't already have some kind of power meter, then the P1 pedals are a no-brainer, in my opinion.

I use my Quarq with a dumb trainer - shifting to get resistance - and I accomplish the workouts just fine.

If you're going to "train and race with power" then you need a full-time power meter.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Vortex Smart trainer versus PowerTap P1 Pedals [Bigcreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buy the vortex from Germany. Save $200. Put that towards buying the pedals in the spring. I betcha they'll be less than $1000 by then. They have already dropped to $1100.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Vortex Smart trainer versus PowerTap P1 Pedals [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
If you don't already have some kind of power meter, then the P1 pedals are a no-brainer, in my opinion.

I use my Quarq with a dumb trainer - shifting to get resistance - and I accomplish the workouts just fine.

If you're going to "train and race with power" then you need a full-time power meter.

+1
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Vortex Smart trainer versus PowerTap P1 Pedals [Rocklintri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocklintri wrote:
trail wrote:

+1
+2

Get power that can be used on multiple bikes. Simple really.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Vortex Smart trainer versus PowerTap P1 Pedals [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
buy the vortex from Germany. Save $200. Put that towards buying the pedals in the spring. I betcha they'll be less than $1000 by then. They have already dropped to $1100.

I wouldn't be so quick to recommend this.

1) Unless you're going to Germany to pick it up or have someone bring it, there's a good chance you'll be hit with import/duty charges (and even then, you could still be subject to those charges at the airport)

2) If you ever need to rely on warranty, shipping a 30 pound trainer overseas will probably eat that entire savings in one fell swoop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you get the Tacx, what's the likelihood of you deciding to shell out for a PM come spring anyway?

If you're like me, it's fairly high, in which case I'd go for that. I think the erg mode on smart trainers is fantastic, I've just started using a Kickr in the last couple of months and for the first time in my life I'm finding myself almost preferring to ride indoors than out because of the quality of the workout. It's particularly great if you don't want to be staring at a power number for hours at a time, since you can just load up a TR workout and then enjoy a good film or boxset while the computer takes care of the rest. I think the Tacx will give you more training benefit over the next 6 months, and by the spring your finances and/or credit with your spouse will have hopefully recovered enough to be in the market for a PM as well.

Also, what is the justification for going for the P1s versus any other PM? Main advantage of them that I can see is the ability to transfer between multiple bikes easily, but if you do 95% of your training indoors I don't see how that is much of a benefit. If you don't need to be able to swap them between bikes, then there are cheaper power options out there. Secondhand PT wheel plus a Vortex is probably cheaper than a new set of P1 pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the P1s. Erg trainers are fantastic and while I do enjoy my Kickr more than my dumb trainer, want to know what is more fantastic? Being able to pace myself out on the road and nail those workouts too.

Maybe it's an issue with powermatch in TrainerRoad, but I can't just ignore my workout and pay 100% attention to a movie or tv show while doing my workouts and assume the trainer will make sure I nail my targets. If I do that my power drifts a lot so I still have to pay attention. I would undoubtedly go with the power meter first. If circumstances change by spring and then you can't get the second item, then you've already bought the more useful device.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Vortex Smart trainer versus PowerTap P1 Pedals [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:

I wouldn't be so quick to recommend this.

1) Unless you're going to Germany to pick it up or have someone bring it, there's a good chance you'll be hit with import/duty charges (and even then, you could still be subject to those charges at the airport)

2) If you ever need to rely on warranty, shipping a 30 pound trainer overseas will probably eat that entire savings in one fell swoop.[/quote]
Trainers are not subject to 'duty'. Sure, they might be local taxes, but that would be the same as anything else you'd buy locally.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Vortex Smart trainer versus PowerTap P1 Pedals [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:

Trainers are not subject to 'duty'. Sure, they might be local taxes, but that would be the same as anything else you'd buy locally.

Yeah except in most cases you're paying the sales tax twice in most cases. And the warranty problems remains.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Vortex Smart trainer versus PowerTap P1 Pedals [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're not paying tax twice. Not sure where you picked that idea up.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Vortex Smart trainer versus PowerTap P1 Pedals [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah you're right I got some things mixed up, when you're ordering from a euro site shipping to the US they leave out the VAT/sales tax which is generally around 20%. Not sure what the difference is with US taxes are but in that case it could be worthwhile if you don't mind taking a risk on the warranty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a Tacx Vortex Smart from Bike-discount.de in Germany for about $360 shipped. It took two weeks and arrived last week (strangly, the Di2 upgrade parts I ordered two days after arrived nearly 5 days before the trainer after only about a week). Anyway, it works well so far in Zwift, except I needed to substitute a US "radio" cord to plug it in, or use a US adaptor on the European style plug. Of course, I'm hoping I don't need any warranty service because shipping it or part of it back could get costly, but it'll get light use by "the girl" so that she'd give me back my Kickr, and even in the event of needing service, I'm still a few hundred bucks cheaper than buying it or the Kickr Snap or something comparable in the US.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have this very combo. It works great for Zwift in the sim mode (ie road riding) and obviously for the outside rides.

ERG mode workout with Vortex are a pain in the ass because it needs to be recalibrated at least once during the workout. I suspect that all on wheel smart trainers suffer from this issue (as the tire gets warmer, power starts to read higher). In the sim mode if the trainer is out of calibration it does not matter unless it gets so extreme that you run out of high gears. Honestly for TR workouts I ended up reading power from P1 even though TR can do a power match in theory - but you still get the numbers that are way too high.

I'm planning stick with P1s but get a used Kickr or something like it that's cassette based.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure, there's risks.
Between my small group of friends riding German bought vortexes, we've collectively saved ~$1000 and have over 5 years on them. So far, no problems.

If mine was stolen today, I'd buy another (from Germany) tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bigcreek wrote:
I need a power read to start training with TrainerRoad. I do 95% of my year-round bike training indoors, with a few metric and century rides before summer events.

Ordinarily I would say get a power meter before smart trainer, but you might be the corner case where a smart trainer makes more sense (of course, the best answer is both). A trainer with a good erg mode could make those training sessions easier. The Vortex is fine, but I would look at a Tacx Flux or a Kickr if you're spending that much time on the trainer to avoid calibration issues and get a quieter ride.

You could also get a Vortex and a cheaper PM for the occasional outdoor ride, for around the cost of the P1 pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all. I decided on PM over smart trainer, and went with the Powertap C1 (chainring) based on DC Rainmaker's advice to spend the extra few hundred for the dual read. Will link to TrainerRoad to complete the setup until spring when I'll add a head unit. Thanks again!

"Some guys they just give up living, and start dying little by little piece by piece. Some guys come home from work and wash up, then go racin' in the street." Bruce Springsteen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bigcreek wrote:
Thanks to all. I decided on PM over smart trainer, and went with the Powertap C1 (chainring) based on DC Rainmaker's advice to spend the extra few hundred for the dual read. Will link to TrainerRoad to complete the setup until spring when I'll add a head unit. Thanks again!
Good call - I'd even suggest springing for ancheap head unit like a Garmin 500 for out on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Vortex Smart trainer versus PowerTap P1 Pedals [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:
Bigcreek wrote:
Good call - I'd even suggest springing for ancheap head unit like a Garmin 500 for out on the road.

Wouldn't TrainerRoad handle my data needs until I take the show outdoors in the spring, at which point I'll get a head unit? Or is there a reason to get a head unit while still indoors using TR?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct, you don't need a head unit if you have trainerroad going.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bigcreek wrote:
BayDad wrote:
Bigcreek wrote:

Wouldn't TrainerRoad handle my data needs until I take the show outdoors in the spring, at which point I'll get a head unit? Or is there a reason to get a head unit while still indoors using TR?
Yeah of course. I meant if you were to also be riding outdoors.

I'm lucky that where I live in NZ we get to ride outside pretty much all year round. I forget that that isn't always the case in some locales.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you get a power meter you can use it on the trainer if you like. If you get a smart trainer you're stuck with power only on your trainer.

IMO these are two products that can't be compared. If you can only get one get a PM. I see a PM as a training necessity* and a smart trainer as a luxury.

*We're talking 1st world necessity here, of course one can train and race just fine with out a PM.
Quote Reply