Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tacx Neo Smart set-up issue
Quote | Reply
I just purchased a Tacx Neo Smart for a training studio I operate. Upon connecting my road bike up I noticed there was quite a bit of drive chain noise at the rear derailleur while in the highest 2-3 gears. I originally had my road bike (10 speed/SRAM components) set up to a Kickr with no unusual drive train noise. Initially I set the Neo up with the stock SRAM 1mm spacer and then proceeded to try the Tacx 2 mm spacer which didn't appear to make any difference. I then swapped out the cassette with another brand new cassette and again no change. Has anyone had such problems with the Neo or ideas on how to fix it?
Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Neo Smart set-up issue [trithink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just installed mine last week with a Shimano 10 speed cassette, no issues.
Love the unit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it sound like this? I get this clicking in about 3 mid-range gears. Shimano 11-speed.

https://goo.gl/...os/bMntEHgbYtVVq26p9
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you install the last few cogs onto the spindle correctly? Is the cassette torqued correctly with the right nut? Mine came with a 12 and 11 cog nut. Hopefully you get this sorted out. I too love my NEO. it's been fantastic to train with.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Neo Smart set-up issue [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't really sound like that. I sounds like the rear derailleur needs to be adjusted, which I did. I'm going to try it with my 11 speed TT bike and see if that's any better.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Neo Smart set-up issue [sportstats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have high expectations for this trainer. I believe it's a simple set up error on my part, but have yet to figure out what I did wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Neo Smart set-up issue [Nolegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe everything is installed correctly. I did use the correct nut (11 cog) and torqued it to spec. Despite the drive train noise, I got a really good feeling about the trainer when I tested it. It felt very solid and had the best road feel (although I was only on it for a few minutes) I had experienced. I hope to sort out this issue and look forward to training on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Neo Smart set-up issue [Nolegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nolegs wrote:
Did you install the last few cogs onto the spindle correctly? Is the cassette torqued correctly with the right nut? Mine came with a 12 and 11 cog nut. Hopefully you get this sorted out. I too love my NEO. it's been fantastic to train with.

Do you think improper torquing could cause the clicking heard in my link above? I had the proper tool in my toolbox, but just tightened by feel and without torque wrench. I've never used a torque wrench installing cassettes on my bike, so didn't think it important installing a cassette on this trainer. But, I can't figure out this knocking. The shifting is electronic and dialed in perfectly. And the knocking happens only in a few mid-range gears in both big and little ring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One last idea. Is the bike anchored to the NEO so the cassette is perfectly aligned to the derailleur?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
Nolegs wrote:

Do you think improper torquing could cause the clicking heard in my link above? I had the proper tool in my toolbox, but just tightened by feel and without torque wrench. I've never used a torque wrench installing cassettes on my bike, so didn't think it important installing a cassette on this trainer. But, I can't figure out this knocking. The shifting is electronic and dialed in perfectly. And the knocking happens only in a few mid-range gears in both big and little ring.

It's possible. From what I remember it had a torque of 40 Nm. That's tight. I definitely used less muscle prior to buying a torque wrench.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Small differences in hub spacing can make the RD need to be tuned when switching wheels or in this case when putting on a direct drive trainer. You may be able to buy a micro-shim somewhere that could bring the hubs closer together (like 0.1 mm shim), but what I do is just figure out how many clicks of the RD barrel adjuster gets the noise to go away and then I just do that when I switch between race wheels and training wheels and my kickr.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Neo Smart set-up issue [Dumples] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds like a good idea. I'm going to try it with my TT bike (11 Speed) and take it from there. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi trithink,

Did you ever fix this problem? I'm having the same issue with my neo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ever sort out the clicking sound in the middle gears? I am having the exact issue with my new Neo!
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Neo Smart set-up issue [MPF56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MPF56 wrote:
Did you ever sort out the clicking sound in the middle gears? I am having the exact issue with my new Neo!

Yes, but I don't remember. I think it was just not tightened sufficiently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. You did allude to tightening with torque wrench, so I am going to give it a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have this exact noise and have had since I got the unit. Only evident in a few of the mid range gears. I’ve recently noticed quite bad wear on the EDCO freehub so suspect that some damage has been done over time associated with the cassette. How did you resolve this? Was it a torque/tension issue when installing the cassette?
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Neo Smart set-up issue [LeddyC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank that bastard down hard. That did it for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet - will give it a good crank! Fingers crossed! Cheers
Quote Reply