Prev Next
Tacx's New Toy
Quote | Reply
What does everyone think about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-vODaqxCUk
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx's New Toy [triguy1043] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious as to how they can run a treadmill motor at bike speed without burning out the motor prematurely. Lionel Sanders burns out a regular treadmill motor repeatedly and he's not even running 5 min miles (12mph) on his TM, so I'm curious as to the expectedly longevity as well as electrical uptake of running the belt at 25mph.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx's New Toy [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I'm curious as to how they can run a treadmill motor at bike speed without burning out the motor prematurely.

By selecting a motor that doesn't burn out given the expected load.

Don't mean to sound flippant, but it's pretty basic engineering.
Last edited by: trail: Dec 14, 17 19:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that looks really neat, and expensive.

im not sure how much i would trust myself on a bike on that.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The max speed is 30km/h. Unless something went very wrong not going to hit 25mph.

Figured it'd be expensive but then saw it is 7000 euros. Then again that isn't too far off from a really nice Woodway in price. Either one is not in my budget unless I win the Powerball or something.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx's New Toy [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
lightheir wrote:
I'm curious as to how they can run a treadmill motor at bike speed without burning out the motor prematurely.

Sure, but I'm thinking you will probably need a special power outlet for that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$9000...thats how the motor doesn't break.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

I don't think so. Most standard power outlets can handle at least around 2000W which should be plenty? You're correct in that it's probably beefier than a standard treadmill motor. Motor failure is usually caused by inadequate cooling, though So this thing would probably need some type of radiator fan, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx's New Toy [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the point then? 30 kph just isn't very fast on a bike. Would be fun otherwise.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx's New Toy [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I watched another video by a guy reviewing it and he mentioned it can handle 1500w and simulate up to 20% grades. He wasn't willing to put out large wattage but did a few climbs at 400-460 watts. But looks like he got in a good burn.

I think I can make do with that for indoor training. It's all about wattage and cadence on a trainer anyways. Doesn't matter what the speed really is since you aren't going anywhere.
Last edited by: loxx0050: Dec 14, 17 21:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
lightheir wrote:

I don't think so. Most standard power outlets can handle at least around 2000W which should be plenty? You're correct in that it's probably beefier than a standard treadmill motor. Motor failure is usually caused by inadequate cooling, though So this thing would probably need some type of radiator fan, etc.

I'm just comparing to the high-end Woodway treadmill models, which do require a special power outlet. And this thing goes faster than that, probably by a lot, if it's good for a bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're actually doing 0 mph, just like on any turbo trainer :)
If you are riding on a treadmill on the flat at either 15mph or 30mph the difference in wattage required to do so is pretty much nothing, just the rolling resistance of spinning the wheels a bit quicker. Unlike a turbo, the motor on the treadmill takes up the slack.
You're only going to start feeling resistance once the thing starts going up - which is going to be weird on zwift, because the angle it's at won't bare any resemblance to the terrain you on, just your wattage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
love it.. but 30kph is a deal breaker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
lightheir wrote:

Piling on the curiosity, I imagine that rolling wheels might be an easier load to handle than running, in the sense that there is less of the "brake effect" of the foot landing - particularly for people with an inefficient stride.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could you post that link?

Seems like you would need to really pitch it up to get any sort of wattage out of it. So, is that basically how it does intervals...constant belt speed at different pitches?

30kmph with no wind resistance would be...100W?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"World's most dangerous treadmill."
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx's New Toy [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should be this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVLls05qzV4 His review and video give a good idea of how it works.

For those of you who are not liking the max speed and thinking it will only take 100w of resistance at that speed are not understanding how it works. The belt is providing rolling resistance and will increase to keep you working hard. The video I watched the guy was doing standing 400+ watt efforts and got a good sweat going on. It also physically inclines to simulate hills too (like how a normal running treadmill does). So is actually inclining instead of just simulating by adding more resistance like how wheel on or direct drive smart trainers do currently.

Looks like a fun piece of equipment and if a indoor studio has a bunch of these I'd definitely show up to a few sessions here and there to break up the monotony of the winter indoor grind.

Think of it as riding into a headwind where it will increase accordingly to keep you from going faster than 18mph (just to mess with your ego).
Last edited by: loxx0050: Dec 15, 17 8:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...can't watch the video till tonight, but maybe you can fill me in...

I'm assuming in run mode, it is acting just like a normal treadmill...spinning the belt underneath the runner.

In bike mode, perhaps it isn't actually spinning the belt, but just putting resistance on the roller? So, your tire pushes the belt back and the treadmill resists according to your power target?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
Should be this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVLls05qzV4 His review and video give a good idea of how it works.

For those of you who are not liking the max speed and thinking it will only take 100w of resistance at that speed are not understanding how it works. The belt is providing rolling resistance and will increase to keep you working hard. The video I watched the guy was doing standing 400+ watt efforts and got a good sweat going on. It also physically inclines to simulate hills too (like how a normal running treadmill does). So is actually inclining instead of just simulating by adding more resistance like how wheel on or direct drive smart trainers do currently.

Looks like a fun piece of equipment and if a indoor studio has a bunch of these I'd definitely show up to a few sessions here and there to break up the monotony of the winter indoor grind.

Think of it as riding into a headwind where it will increase accordingly to keep you from going faster than 18mph (just to mess with your ego).

Sorry, but I'm not understanding what you're explaining. How does a belt change resistance without changing incline? All it can do is move faster or slower.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx's New Toy [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what it appears like it is doing to me.

If the thing really can handle 1500w only probably a select few top pros and monster track sprinters will have issues with the max power level.

I'm pretty sure 99.9% of Slowtwitch can out it that kind of max wattage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:

so I'm going 18mph and zwift thinks I'm going 48mph down the hill ? ...is that what I am reading ?
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx's New Toy [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:

so I'm going 18mph and zwift thinks I'm going 48mph down the hill ? ...is that what I am reading ?

I can't answer that question. Depends on what is going in Zwift. Let's say in Zwift you are on a flat road doing a sprint and putting out 1500W then the max speed (or wheel speed) on the Magnum will only be 18.6 mph but whatever your setup in Zwift will translate to that speed (w/kg setup so maybe I don't know 40mph or more...not exact speed but giving an example). That is how I'm understanding it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx's New Toy [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trying to figure out how to explain this but it isn't as simple as increasing incline to increase resistance. I don't completely understand how they generate resistance on the belt do think that is what is going on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't trust myself on that.
What happens if you get tired and stop pedaling? Once the bike slowed enough, wouldn't it fall off the back?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
What's the point then? 30 kph just isn't very fast on a bike. Would be fun otherwise.

I don't think max speed really matters. What bothers me is that it needs incline if you need more than 200w or so. I would love to train on something like this on a TT bike but training all the time at a 5% incline or so... I'd be worried about how my position would transition to regular road riding.
Quote Reply

Prev Next