Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tactics for fixed gear vs. geared race
Quote | Reply
Let's say I'm in a 2-man "crit", about 2 hours in duration. We're both equally matched in fitness, aerodynamics, etc. However, I'm on a geared road bike whilst my opponent is on a fixed gear.

I assume there are a bunch of things I can do with less physiological cost because I have gears, and thus burn him out. Is there any better tactic than, say, keep attacking out of of corners?
Quote Reply
Re: Tactics for fixed gear vs. geared race [lamby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lamby wrote:
Let's say I'm in a 2-man "crit", about 2 hours in duration. We're both equally matched in fitness, aerodynamics, etc. However, I'm on a geared road bike whilst my opponent is on a fixed gear.

I assume there are a bunch of things I can do with less physiological cost because I have gears, and thus burn him out. Is there any better tactic than, say, keep attacking out of of corners?
Once should be enough to call it a day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lamby wrote:
I'm on a geared road bike whilst my opponent is on a fixed gear.

By fixed do you mean single speed but can freewheel?

Or do you mean fixed as in a track bike with no ability to freewheel?
Quote Reply
Re: Tactics for fixed gear vs. geared race [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
By fixed do you mean single speed but can freewheel?

Or do you mean fixed as in a track bike with no ability to freewheel?

Fixed-as-in-fixed. "Track" bike. No freewheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Single speed mountain bikers tend to ride out of corners much harder than their geared counterparts.

I'd attack INTO corners as opposed to out of them, I think.
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Jun 30, 15 13:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lamby wrote:
I assume there are a bunch of things I can do with less physiological cost because I have gears, and thus burn him out.

There are also a bunch of things you can do with zero physiological cost that will crash him out because you can coast and he can't... Should we assume these are off limits?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lamby wrote:

If you're in the U.S., the only tactic you need is to show up. A freewheel is required for road races or crits. 1I3b
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fixed gear doesn't sound like a good choice for a crit. Is this some hipster challenge?
Quote Reply
Re: Tactics for fixed gear vs. geared race [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:
Fixed gear doesn't sound like a good choice for a crit. Is this some hipster challenge?

A thought experiment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone who's done a fair amount of racing on the track and road can answer this easily. The answer is to vary the pace as much as possible, i.e keep slowing and accelerating (hard, not just gradually increasing pace) not just into/out of corners. You need to slow to the point that you change down 2-3 years, then accelerate hard. The main disadvantage of a fixed gear is that you have to respond to accelerations in the same gear. Try doing seated or standing jumps while rolling slowly in a big gear multiple times....it won't be long before your legs are fried.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lamby wrote:

You need to be more precise. On a perfectly flat race, with the perfect ratio, having a fixed gear could be an advantage. Put a hill in the middle or tricky turns (something that requires to coast or change gears), and this is probably a disadvantage.

It is much easier to monitor your speed (small changes) and effort with a fixed gear bike, when it is flat and when the ratio is the one that works for you.

I raced several OD tris with my track bike a few year ago (I just added 2 brakes & mini-aerobars). When the terrain is flat, it is super super fast (in my standards) & fun, I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say it depends on the corners. If they're gentle and you can pedal fast through them, then I'd suggest being in front, slowing down, dropping the gear and attacking out of the corner. If on the other hand it's a corner where the fixed gear is forced to slow down significantly I'd be attacking into the corner, opening the gap through the corner and then holding it out of the corner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Varying pace can cause the guy to burn more matches. But this is a two hour, two man race. What are you guys going to agree to do? Take turns for 1:45 hr? Anyone attacks and it is just a long time trial for both. You can't mess with him much with accelerations if you are in front because he can just ride his own pace -- you are equal and he can just time trial behind you. Also, if you are pulling, you're burning more matches than him anyway. If you mess with him too much varying the pace when you are pulling, then he can just slow down and say, "go, I'm not riding with you," and then time trial 30 M behind you. You can slow down, but he'll catch you and then you'll have to accelerate to catch him. Then where you going to go? Most of the time you'll both be equal and equipment won't matter if he's smart and doesn't let you mess with him. And then it will come down to the finish.

Your biggest advantage in this format is the finish if you are together. He's going to be committed to a fast pace finish. Because he can't accelerate as fast as you can from lower speeds, even if he's a bit stronger sprinter. So if you slow it down, he'll need to keep the speed up. He can't play the cat and mouse game where both racers slow down. If you happened to be a few hundred meters from finish and going 10 mph, you have a big advantage. If he's spent any time on a fixed gear he knows that and will be forced to keep pace high in finish. So 2-3 km from the finish slow down and make him take the lead, he has to keep the pace high, you can draft him, and maybe out sprint him if you time it right. Refuse to do any work in final kms. If we were together at the finish, I'd try to surprise you about 1-2 km from finish with a hard sprint and drop you before we got close. Then it will come down to who is stronger over 2km after two hours of riding. Somewhere before the finish he's going to have to drop you because he knows you will do no work and he can't force you to do it by slowing down himself. If anywhere 10 km from finish he were dumb enough to slow down to make you lead, you can do easy sprint attack knowing his cost to catch you (he has to catch you now) is going to be greater and then when he catches you, slow, and get on his wheel.

Of course, equal fitness does not mean equal race strengths. Who's the better sprinter? Who is better at time trial? Even with same FTP, is one of you better at 30 min? All these might work into tactics.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Tactics for fixed gear vs. geared race [the slow guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the slow guy wrote:
On a perfectly flat race, with the perfect ratio, having a fixed gear could be an advantage

How so? I mean, I just change gear to this "perfect" ratio and then we are back to equal. (Lets assume I have that gear. And equivalent drivetrain loss, etc.)
Quote Reply
Re: Tactics for fixed gear vs. geared race [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Varying pace can cause the guy to burn more matches. But this is a two hour, two man race. What are you guys going to agree to do? Take turns for 1:45 hr? Anyone attacks and it is just a long time trial for both. You can't mess with him much with accelerations if you are in front because he can just ride his own pace -- you are equal and he can just time trial behind you. Also, if you are pulling, you're burning more matches than him anyway. If you mess with him too much varying the pace when you are pulling, then he can just slow down and say, "go, I'm not riding with you," and then time trial 30 M behind you. You can slow down, but he'll catch you and then you'll have to accelerate to catch him. Then where you going to go? Most of the time you'll both be equal and equipment won't matter if he's smart and doesn't let you mess with him. And then it will come down to the finish.

Your biggest advantage in this format is the finish if you are together. He's going to be committed to a fast pace finish. Because he can't accelerate as fast as you can from lower speeds, even if he's a bit stronger sprinter. So if you slow it down, he'll need to keep the speed up. He can't play the cat and mouse game where both racers slow down. If you happened to be a few hundred meters from finish and going 10 mph, you have a big advantage. If he's spent any time on a fixed gear he knows that and will be forced to keep pace high in finish. So 2-3 km from the finish slow down and make him take the lead, he has to keep the pace high, you can draft him, and maybe out sprint him if you time it right. Refuse to do any work in final kms. If we were together at the finish, I'd try to surprise you about 1-2 km from finish with a hard sprint and drop you before we got close. Then it will come down to who is stronger over 2km after two hours of riding. Somewhere before the finish he's going to have to drop you because he knows you will do no work and he can't force you to do it by slowing down himself. If anywhere 10 km from finish he were dumb enough to slow down to make you lead, you can do easy sprint attack knowing his cost to catch you (he has to catch you now) is going to be greater and then when he catches you, slow, and get on his wheel.

Of course, equal fitness does not mean equal race strengths. Who's the better sprinter? Who is better at time trial? Even with same FTP, is one of you better at 30 min? All these might work into tactics.

Unless he's a much better sprinter than you, just stay behind him and wait for the finish. As mentioned, he needs to lead out at a fairly good speed, so he really can't play cat and mouse to force you to the front.
You can basically draft him the whole race, and if he slows down too much he's vulnerable to attacks. Plus the gear you can turn at a reasonable rpm for 2hrs. is not the gear you want for the final 200m.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Attack down hill.. he / she will root himself spinning out..
Keep corner speeds high so they ground out / pedal strike...
Slow them into climbs, drop a cog and accelerate..

save any ridicule until the end in case thy kick your ass..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lamby wrote:
the slow guy wrote:
On a perfectly flat race, with the perfect ratio, having a fixed gear could be an advantage

How so? I mean, I just change gear to this "perfect" ratio and then we are back to equal. (Lets assume I have that gear. And equivalent drivetrain loss, etc.)
Riding fixed gear bikes is magical. You push pedals and pedals push your legs, because (rolling) rear wheel is directly connected to your pedals. No such things on geared bikes. I find it much easier to maintain speed on a track bike. Don't know if there is some science behind, it just feels very different.

What would kill your fixed gear rider is having to slow down or accelerate continuously, in my opinion. One gear & no freewheel make quick changes painfull.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lamby wrote:
the slow guy wrote:

Fixed gear doesn't have equivalent drivetrain loss to a geared bike, it's more efficient. No derailleurs to run through for a start.
Quote Reply
Re: Tactics for fixed gear vs. geared race [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Fixed gear doesn't have equivalent drivetrain loss to a geared bike, it's more efficient. No derailleurs to run through for a start.

Err exactly, but it's not that interesting from a tactics point of view so I magically made them equivalent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, forgot for a moment that you had a magic wand in this imaginary scenario. Carry on!
Quote Reply
Re: Tactics for fixed gear vs. geared race [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Throwing the magic wand into the fixie riders front wheel would likely guarantee the win..
Quote Reply