Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TYR Carbon Tri suit vs Swimskin
Quote | Reply
I have a TYR Carbon Tri-suit. It has no pockets, and has the ITU style zipper (in the back). Will that provide me with the same advantages as a swimskin? Or should I get a swimskin for non wet suit races to put over that.

Insta: Trihennessy - Out Rival Racing Elite Team
- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: TYR Carbon Tri suit vs Swimskin [Hennessyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can use a lot of the 1 piece suits as your swim skin race suit, no need to get a separate swim skin.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I've practice swam in my TYR Carbin suit I was nearly the same speed as when I had a Blue Seventy Swimskin over it. Normally just a little faster in just the TYR Carbon.

I've had the same results with my Kiwami Amphibians.

My suit's are fairly tight and the swimskin didn't compress me any more.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on the swimskin and also how long the race is.
I've noticed the more expensive B70 and Profile Design swimsins (speedsuits? are bonded together and constructed of fabrics that absorb no water and have the same hydrophilic treatment as wetsuits, but without the rubber. Add in the compression to keep everything tight, and you have a garment you can swim fast in, but might not want to bike or run in. (Though it's been done by somebody who forgot their race suit.)
In a longer swim, like 70.3 and IM length swims, this will make a difference. Plus the fabric and pad in your race suit may, over time, absorb some water and slow you down.
I'm not a rocket scientist, but I am a neoprene and speedsuit geek from my days at QR, Zoot, and Profile.
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a TYR athlete and have two years of full experience racing in the Carbon suit, as well as the Torque Pro for non-wetsuit swims. Without being biased here are the facts.

There is a vast difference in buoyancy between the Carbon and the Torque Pro, and I would seriously consider getting the swim skin. The other swim skins in the range that are cheaper don't have the same buoyancy effect as the Torque Pro, and my understanding is they are more designed as hydrophobic garments.

If you do go down the road of getting a Torque Pro, just test it out in the pool. Dive in with the Carbon, then add the Torque Pro. That thing will bring you up to the surface immediately.

http://www.josh-amberger.com/
Quote Reply
Re: TYR Carbon Tri suit vs Swimskin [hey_burgs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, that makes sense. Now, the torque lite, what are your thoughts on that? (I really only ask because it is 100 dollars cheaper) Is it in the same ball park as the others?

Insta: Trihennessy - Out Rival Racing Elite Team
- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a carbon on the bottom layer with a Roka viper on the top. I like the viper more than the Tourque. Here is why so you can make up your own mind:

I think that the Tourque has more buoyancy than the viper. The material is different for sure. But it is not as snug as the viper. The viper feels like it is constructed out of one piece of fabric that is cut out precisely. The seams are bonded with laser precision. The Tourque has clunky seams. I think this all comes down to the fabric. You cannot hold together the Toruques fabric with the bonding they use for the Viper.

So if you want a sleek snug feel go with the viper. If you want a little more flotation but a less tight fit, go for the Tourque.

I did an 800m pool swim triathlon and wore the torque. I could see the digital pace clock very clearly. When I snagged my first split at the 200 I was stunned with how fast I had gone. So don't misunderstand me, the Tourque is a great suit.
Quote Reply