Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
TV height for pain cave.
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if anybody had ideas on the best height for the center of the screen on a wall mounted 55inch tv for aerobar viewing and treadmill running?
On the trainer, my head will probably be between 5-7 ft from wall and on the tread mill back another couple feet I would guess. I will have them side by side.
Quote Reply
Re: TV height for pain cave. [Weimjagd1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I brought an Omnimount play 25x to solve this. It is wall mountable and you can basically adjust the TV (Well i-mac in my case) for height, direction etc etc to your hearts content.

http://www.omnimount.co.uk/...interactive/play25x/

It is expensive, but gives you the ultimate in adjustability. You can get cheaper Chinese versions, but I just swallowed the cost and got the proper one. That one I think only holds smaller TV's, but I'm sure I saw one that holds a 55".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I moved mine to be the height I want my eyes to look when I'm outside on the read road. I had it too low and then did a race and my neck hurt so bad because I wasn't used to looking up high enough. Now I just have to look at it more often. I'm so bad - I drop my head down and hang it in shame as I grind away... A higher TV helped. My TV is much smaller and much closer though.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you consider getting a TV lift? They can be had for a couple hundred dollars.

Last edited by: Art M.: Jan 8, 18 17:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my last house, I mounted two tv's on the wall....one on top of the other. Even the top one was down pretty low so I could see it when aero. The bottom TV displayed trainer road or whatever program I was using. Even though they were both mounted low, I could still see the top TV from the treadmill.

I also added a splitter that let me swap signals....so if it was a long steady ride with fewer intervals, I would throw that on the top TV and stick a movie on the bottom TV so I could zone out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for the ideas.

Ironmike - this seems ideal...not only can it go up and down but side to side also. I also found a mount it sound bar kit that will fasten and move with TV.

SLO - what you described is exactly what I wanted to avoid on the run and bike also. I wanted to train as close to the position that I run and ride in.

Art M - very nice suggestion, I did not come across that system in my "research".

Mike A - I have not used a training program yet. I was planning on having swift connect by Apple TV 4k. It would be nice to have the second screen for training details while watching movies on the big one. Would a iPad on a stand suffice, or should I plan on keeping the 42inch tv and mirroring from iPad or iMac?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trust me , put them low

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: TV height for pain cave. [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you,

That was what I was thinking.
Right now the center of tv is 45 inches from floor...are you thinking lower than that?
I am planning on spending significantly more time on the treadmill and trainer than I ever have in the past and would appreciate any advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My TVs are about a foot from the floor, great for looking at while in aero on bike or from treadmill while running... it's the natural spot to look.

IMO anything higher than that is too high.

Eric

Weimjagd1 wrote:
Thank you,

That was what I was thinking.
Right now the center of tv is 45 inches from floor...are you thinking lower than that?
I am planning on spending significantly more time on the treadmill and trainer than I ever have in the past and would appreciate any advice.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again,
That makes sense, about the same angle as you would have on the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weimjagd1 wrote:
Thank you all for the ideas.

Ironmike - this seems ideal...not only can it go up and down but side to side also. I also found a mount it sound bar kit that will fasten and move with TV.

SLO - what you described is exactly what I wanted to avoid on the run and bike also. I wanted to train as close to the position that I run and ride in.

Art M - very nice suggestion, I did not come across that system in my "research".

Mike A - I have not used a training program yet. I was planning on having swift connect by Apple TV 4k. It would be nice to have the second screen for training details while watching movies on the big one. Would a iPad on a stand suffice, or should I plan on keeping the 42inch tv and mirroring from iPad or iMac?

Yeah...ipad is great! I forgot to mention, this was when I was running a computrainer and was broadcasting my training info from a computer to the screen. My current set up is a large ipad (TV) and small ipad (Trainer Road). There happens to be a large TV in the room, but that is just background noise when I am losing my mind after hours on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: TV height for pain cave. [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah put it low. In retrospect, mine is mounted too high. I probably only look at the screen 50% of the time as a result!

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How far you away from the wall that 1 foot is the right height for TV?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should get a picture of my set up. I'm guessing I'm 5 feet from the wall with a 36' TV. Treadmill is center in the room, wifes bike and mine are on each side.

My TV is about eye level, maybe slightly lower as you are on the treadmill. I have a 360 degree TV mount that allows you to tilt the TV down and to the side so when you are on the trainer you can look slightly up but your not hurting your neck, I barely notice I'm looking up and like the set up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Almost can’t go too low especially if you plan to use TT bike on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: TV height for pain cave. [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm confused by all these low screen suggestions. You are on a trainer on a TT bike. Putting the TV low may be more comfortable in the short term, but by Spring you are not going to naturally look down the road like you should to be safe. If you can't look nearly straight ahead in aero then your fit is off or too aggressive. Looking down is a good way to end up a DNF due to your own fault.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: TV height for pain cave. [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
I'm confused by all these low screen suggestions. You are on a trainer on a TT bike. Putting the TV low may be more comfortable in the short term, but by Spring you are not going to naturally look down the road like you should to be safe. If you can't look nearly straight ahead in aero then your fit is off or too aggressive. Looking down is a good way to end up a DNF due to your own fault.

The TV on the ground is exactly where you want to look when you're on your TT bike - looking at the patch of ground directly ahead of your bike. It's not like you're looking straight down at your feet.

I have my 32" TV on a plastic ice chest that's not even 3feet off the ground, and that already feels high as compared to where I'd normally look on the road with my TT bike.
Quote Reply
Re: TV height for pain cave. [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
The TV on the ground is exactly where you want to look when you're on your TT bike - looking at the patch of ground directly ahead of your bike.

This is supposed to be in Pink, correct? There is no way anyone thinks they are safe looking at the road 5 or even 10 feet in front of them when traveling 20 mph.

If you are serious please let us know what races you plan to participate in so the rest of us can stay away from you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: TV height for pain cave. [colnagoguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well if that does not provide 'Total Immersion" in movie or training film....nothing will.
Dayyyum man, that is one big TV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
lightheir wrote:
The TV on the ground is exactly where you want to look when you're on your TT bike - looking at the patch of ground directly ahead of your bike.

This is supposed to be in Pink, correct? There is no way anyone thinks they are safe looking at the road 5 or even 10 feet in front of them when traveling 20 mph.

If you are serious please let us know what races you plan to participate in so the rest of us can stay away from you.

You make it sound as if we'd be looking straight at the floor - not true.

It's the exact same head/neck position to look at a low/floor TV of 32" or greater in size 5-6 ft ahead of your trainer bike, as it is in the road. You just tilt your eyeballs lower indoors, and more level outdoors. No downward head tilt at all, and totally safe.

You'd have to put the TV literally under your front wheel facing upwards to be as blind as you state outdoors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not making it sound like anything. Trig it out. If you make some gross assumptions - your face is 5 feet from the screen (that would be a big room), your eyes are about 41" off the floor, and the center of the monitor is 30" off the floor you are in a position to look about 35 feet down the road. That is better than I guessed but by no means safe. At 20 mph you cover 35 ft in 1.2 seconds.

Still not safe, and that's conservative.

When you are racing you should be looking straight down the road. When you are training you should be doing the same thing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
I'm not making it sound like anything. Trig it out. If you make some gross assumptions - your face is 5 feet from the screen (that would be a big room), your eyes are about 41" off the floor, and the center of the monitor is 30" off the floor you are in a position to look about 35 feet down the road. That is better than I guessed but by no means safe. At 20 mph you cover 35 ft in 1.2 seconds.

Still not safe, and that's conservative.

When you are racing you should be looking straight down the road. When you are training you should be doing the same thing.

Well, you can do the math, but I can assure you I can see well over 150 feet down the road with no change in head position from the one I'm using on the trainer right now with a low TV. Again, your eyeballs dip, not the head. It's actually very unnatural to ride for an hour with your head dipped down!

It's totally not a problem, just from experience. You'll see fine, and your neck will be plenty strong from being in the aero position during training.
Quote Reply
Re: TV height for pain cave. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
Weimjagd1 wrote:

Yeah...ipad is great! I forgot to mention, this was when I was running a computrainer and was broadcasting my training info from a computer to the screen. My current set up is a large ipad (TV) and small ipad (Trainer Road). There happens to be a large TV in the room, but that is just background noise when I am losing my mind after hours on the trainer.

Another option is to use a HDMI switch with PIP. You can play a movie in your DVD or apple TV and project the training info from the computer on the same screen. Your TV may even be able to do this, mine only does PIP with the internal tuner as a 2nd source so I had to get a switch. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/...mp;keywords=hdmi+pip
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're all wrong!

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply

Prev Next