Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TT position: how to determine power vs aero tradeoffs
Quote | Reply
Ideas?

I have had a TT setup for a few years, can put down good power, just under 5 w/kg for 30 minutes, but am still below mid pack as a Cat 1. Would like to play with my position, it is very stiff and upright. Ideas? I already have a low position, but my head and shoulders sit very exposed and tall. Or, should I look at exercises to loosen up?
Quote Reply
Re: TT position: how to determine power vs aero tradeoffs [dumbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dumbo wrote:
Ideas?

I have had a TT setup for a few years, can put down good power, just under 5 w/kg for 30 minutes, but am still below mid pack as a Cat 1. Would like to play with my position, it is very stiff and upright. Ideas? I already have a low position, but my head and shoulders sit very exposed and tall. Or, should I look at exercises to loosen up?

You looking at crank lengths also while making these trade offs. If you are real low, shorter cranks might be worth considering.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: TT position: how to determine power vs aero tradeoffs [dumbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At 5w/kg that is about right at the Cat 1 Level. You need another .3-.4w/kg to move up on power alone. Hard to know much else without pictures of you in the position on race day.

Quote | Reply
Tuck your ears into your aero helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolute watts matter.... What's your weight? I posted the fastest 40k in over 10 years at the Va state champs a few years back. I was less than 4.4 watts/kilo. I'm guessing you're a skinny little thing?

Do you have a position pic?
Last edited by: Dave Luscan: Apr 28, 15 16:43
Quote Reply
Re: TT position: how to determine power vs aero tradeoffs [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you right. Drive by gloat all the way!

Important questions too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I already have a low position, but my head and shoulders sit very exposed and tall. Or, should I look at exercises to loosen up?

Turtle to keep your head low, and just look up enough to barely see up the road. Get a helmet that fairs into your back well.

Go low enough in the front so your stomach and chest are horizontal. A long reach is also good. Elbows close together. Lots of practice relaxing all the parts that don't need to be tense, but some parts will need to be to hold position.

Do field testing with a PM to fine tune.

Generally I think it is best to get your aero drag low. The power will come with practice. Lots of practice.

Quote Reply
Re: TT position: how to determine power vs aero tradeoffs [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick B wrote:

All the win.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: TT position: how to determine power vs aero tradeoffs [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Luscan wrote:
Absolute watts matter.... What's your weight? I posted the fastest 40k in over 10 years at the Va state champs a few years back. I was less than 4.4 watts/kilo. I'm guessing you're a skinny little thing?

Do you have a position pic?

I will try and find one

Race weight is 69kg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Luscan wrote:
Yeah, you right. Drive by gloat all the way!

Important questions too.

Not really! Maybe if I were winning...

A friend who is my weight regularly beats me in TT's, putting out around 310w tops. People say I stiffen up and am tall when going hard. I ride the TT bike 2x a week, once at race pace, and although my abilities as a road racer have trended upward (1st group finishes at selective NRC races), my TT results are the same as in my Cat2 days (same courses). Had a couple of fits, if anything I have gotten slower. Some people just can't TT: HR is 6-10 bpm slower than on a climb, where my power and ability is much higher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what you are saying, you have some problems with the position that should be pretty obvious. Let's see it.
Quote Reply
Re: TT position: how to determine power vs aero tradeoffs [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick B wrote:

Massive fail. They create lift. I'd flap with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some people just can't TT

Not a good attitude! I'm pretty sure you are doing something wrong. Do you want us to help you figure out what?

Quote Reply
Re: TT position: how to determine power vs aero tradeoffs [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Some people just can't TT

Not a good attitude! I'm pretty sure you are doing something wrong. Do you want us to help you figure out what?

Yes, please! Will get some pics when I can (currently off the bike with broken wrist).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will do ASAP, thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's pretty hard to determine those trades off unless you do some testing. Either on the velodrome, in the wind tunnel or field testing.

Otherwise you play the odds. Change X typically works for the majority of people, but you'll never know for sure without testing.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: TT position: how to determine power vs aero tradeoffs [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, thanks. Will get pics up once this broken bone heals
Quote Reply