Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TT helmet vs Aero road based on conditions
Quote | Reply
Hello, I was wanting to pick the forum's brain on a choice for helmet. This Saturday I have a duathlon with a 5k, and a hilly 17.5mi bike portion afterwards. I have a Giro Selector TT helmet, which in its day, was supposedly one of the top TT helmets. I also have a Bell star Pro, which is supposedly one of the best aero road helmets. I would usually wear the selector, since I assume a good TT helmet is better than a good road helmet, but these things are causing me to hesitate:

1. The high on Saturday is 85 degrees, which is quite hot for a fully enclosed TT helmet.
2. There is a chance of rain. I think having an easily removable visor (Bell Star) might be nice if it rained
3. Transition time--The bell goes on much faster. How much time would I save with the Giro over the course of the ride to make up with taking maybe 5-10 seconds longer.

Other information-The course is very hilly. I think it is somewhere around 1300ft of climbing for 17.5 miles. It has rollers and a couple steep puncheurs, and one longer sweeping. I will be on a road bike with clip on bars, and in previous years, I have averaged just shy of 22mph. My position is good, but I a don't race tons, so I might put my head down more often than I realize, even though I am concentrating on not doing so. I would be much more comfortable with the Bell, but if you guys think I would be lots faster with the Giro, I am willing to sacrifice some comfort for speed.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: TT helmet vs Aero road based on conditions [BLD 25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Figure you will save maybe 10 watts. This could be 30-50 seconds on the bike. http://www.cyclingweekly.com/...elmet-vs-road-helmet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me, this is a lot like the question of whether to wear a wetsuit in a sprint. Almost always wear the wetsuit. The Giro Selector is still a very good helmet. It would probably smoke the Bell Star Pro. I have almost no difference in T2 putting on my road helmet vs. my Bell Javelin with visor, and I wear glasses. I also have no problems with heat in my TT helmet, even for much longer rides. I would wear the pointy helmet!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I'd probably use the aero helmet.

1. 85 is hot but not extreme, especially if you live somewhere that has cool(er) overnight lows and you're not racing at 2 in the afternoon.
2. Personal preference, personally I'd rather have a visor than not. I don't like getting hit in the eye with rain though (actually, I miss having a visor on my TT helmet, my old one did, but current (giro advantage 2) and the wind washing over the top of my sun/rain glasses is irritating).
3. If there's a 5-10 second difference between putting on an aero helmet vs a road helmet I'd suggest practicing a bit. Should be pretty easy to practice a dozen or so times and reduce that difference. I'm not familiar with the selector but the only difference between the two is that I have to hold the ear covers back with my thumbs as I pop it on my head but I don't see how that takes 5 seconds. Disclaimer, I mostly race TT's / road races now.

---------------------------------------------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~Gandalf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say you should save the 5 - 10 seconds in transition and just start the 5K wearing the Selector. Who knows, it might be an aero savings on the run. Be sure to post the race pics here.

Ok, seriously though. I have those same two helmets. The Star Pro is a hot helmet as far as road helmets go. I don't notice the Selector being any hotter than the Star Pro with the vents closed. I've never tried to put the Star Pro on quickly, because I've never raced in it. But, I don't see how it could possibly be 5 to 10 seconds faster to put on than the Selector. In fact, if takes you more than 5 seconds total to put the Selector on, then maybe some practice is needed.
Last edited by: Signal8: Oct 4, 17 14:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the article that grumpier.mike linked to compares an aero helmet to a standard road helmet, not to an aero road helmet like the Star Pro. Until a crash last week-end, I have been using a Star Pro for the last year and a half. it is an excellent helmet and is no where near as hot as many people make out. if you have a lot of climbing in your race, your changes of position will negate any minor advantage that the longer tail of the Selector might have. i have no financial interext in Bell or Giro but i was pleasantly surprised that a crash that broke ribs and shattered my Star Pro left me without a concussion. i believe that the lack of a tail and the generally spherical shape had something to do with that. My vote is for the Star Pro.

john
Quote Reply
Re: TT helmet vs Aero road based on conditions [john.koch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
john.koch wrote:
the article that grumpier.mike linked to compares an aero helmet to a standard road helmet, not to an aero road helmet like the Star Pro. Until a crash last week-end, I have been using a Star Pro for the last year and a half. it is an excellent helmet and is no where near as hot as many people make out. if you have a lot of climbing in your race, your changes of position will negate any minor advantage that the longer tail of the Selector might have. i have no financial interext in Bell or Giro but i was pleasantly surprised that a crash that broke ribs and shattered my Star Pro left me without a concussion. i believe that the lack of a tail and the generally spherical shape had something to do with that. My vote is for the Star Pro.

john
People need to stop using anecdotal "evidence" about crashes that damaged helmets but left their head/brain intact as any sort of indicator of helmet performance. It's utterly irrelevant. It tells you and everbody else absolutely nothing except that you, thankfully, didn't end up with a head injury. It doesn't tell us anything useful about the helmet.
The tail on a traditional teardrop shaped TT helmet is a potential risk in a crash, but that's clear from observation of the geometry not from any one incident of someone not being injured in a tailless helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: TT helmet vs Aero road based on conditions [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, it seems that the consensus seems to be go with the selector.
Quote Reply
Re: TT helmet vs Aero road based on conditions [Signal8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Signal8 wrote:
I say you should save the 5 - 10 seconds in transition and just start the 5K wearing the Selector. Who knows, it might be an aero savings on the run. Be sure to post the race pics here.
I've also heard that on the run it's better to wear it backwards.
Quote Reply