Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
TT bike set up with minimal basebar.
Quote | Reply
I am thinking of setting up my bike for next year to do just TT's and for the most part will not need to have a basebar. I will be running the HED Flip-lite aerobars with the new Lazy-S bend which are very comfortable. I was thinking that I do not really need a basebar other than to hold my brake levers and my clip-ons.

Has anyone done this set up for TT's and do you have pictures of this set up. Did you just use a cheap basebar and cut off the extensions or did you use a drop bar and cut it down?

I have an old bar that I can cut down to be just big enough to put my Tektro levers inline with the bar like the TULA aerobar and just enough bar that I can grip the brake levers. When the Hed Flip-lites are in the down position the pads will most likely cover the brake levers and when I do need to brake in the TT I can just flip up the pads and use the brakes. I want to keep them in line with the very short basebar to help keep the front profile as small as possible. I do not want to buy anything for this build at this time and have all the items above. I realize that the J-TEK brake or Hed brake that attach to the aerobars/bar end shifters would be way more aero but I do not want to buy those at this time.

I was also thinking of a future upgrade with the front brake. I have seen the Oval rear brake used on the front of the forks and modified with a cable guide used for CX bikes that allows the cable to be run straight down in front of the head tube. I think a few other modifications are needed but by the looks of what I have seen, it can be done.
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike set up with minimal basebar. [BMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dont your remember Natasha's incident? As an RD I dont know that I would allow a bike with the brakes not mounted on an OE system...what would you really gain?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike set up with minimal basebar. [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two words!

MORE AERO!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am thinking of setting up my bike for next year to do just TT's and for the most part will not need to have a basebar. I will be running the HED Flip-lite aerobars with the new Lazy-S bend which are very comfortable. I was thinking that I do not really need a basebar other than to hold my brake levers and my clip-ons.

Has anyone done this set up for TT's and do you have pictures of this set up. Did you just use a cheap basebar and cut off the extensions or did you use a drop bar and cut it down?

I have an old bar that I can cut down to be just big enough to put my Tektro levers inline with the bar like the TULA aerobar and just enough bar that I can grip the brake levers. When the Hed Flip-lites are in the down position the pads will most likely cover the brake levers and when I do need to brake in the TT I can just flip up the pads and use the brakes. I want to keep them in line with the very short basebar to help keep the front profile as small as possible. I do not want to buy anything for this build at this time and have all the items above. I realize that the J-TEK brake or Hed brake that attach to the aerobars/bar end shifters would be way more aero but I do not want to buy those at this time.

I was also thinking of a future upgrade with the front brake. I have seen the Oval rear brake used on the front of the forks and modified with a cable guide used for CX bikes that allows the cable to be run straight down in front of the head tube. I think a few other modifications are needed but by the looks of what I have seen, it can be done.

Do you mean something like this? (on both counts, bar and brake):

That's a cutdown MTB bar BTW...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Dec 8, 08 16:10
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike set up with minimal basebar. [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Dont your remember Natasha's incident? As an RD I dont know that I would allow a bike with the brakes not mounted on an OE system...what would you really gain?
I have only needed to make a hard stop in a race once. When I did, I really needed to stop because a stupid motorist ignored a uniformed police officer and pulled out in front of me. I'm glad I did not have a minimal basebar.
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike set up with minimal basebar. [Johnny99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD1homja40U

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike set up with minimal basebar. [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom - Finally someone with something to add to the thread. THANK YOU.

So what did you use for the basebar? That is exactly what I was thinking and I really like the look of the Vision levers for this application. I think down the road this is exactly what I would like to do except I want to use my HED Flip-lites. This would allow me a bit better access to the brakes when needed. I will be doing my TT's on a close course (as far as I know) but testing would have to be done in an area with very little traffic.

I have to brake levers that I currently own and I was trying to figure out which ones I would use. I can use my Tektro 5.0 Carbon levers like you did with the Vision levers or I can use my Tektro 3.1 cross levers which would need a bit of modification to them but they would be lighter and smaller in size. Would allow me to use less cable and housing as well.

I think it has been your front brake that I have been looking at. I know that you can pick up the rear brakes only on Ebay and I was thinking of getting 2 of the rears down the road if my tests go well. What are you using on the rear as well.

The front brake looks great and I am assuming that it pulls enough to stop well?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All that work to make the front end aero, and then the nasty clamp on Deda abomination to mount your iBike Aero. I like the concept of the iBike, especially with another power meter for Real Watts (tm), but the mounting options are pretty nasty when you have aerobars to consider.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike set up with minimal basebar. [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
All that work to make the front end aero, and then the nasty clamp on Deda abomination to mount your iBike Aero. I like the concept of the iBike, especially with another power meter for Real Watts (tm), but the mounting options are pretty nasty when you have aerobars to consider.

Chris

Do you see that PT head unit on the bars above it? Who said the iAero was going to stay there? ;-) The Deda clamp was just what I had available in a pinch... ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Believe me, I understand what you were doing with it, and that you would never race like that, but just the thought of mounting in like that made my nuts feel like they were in a vice.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does the iAero really tell you to angle your arms up that high?

Also, sorry if this has been posted before but can you show us how you made the modifications to the front brake?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tom - Finally someone with something to add to the thread. THANK YOU.

So what did you use for the basebar? That is exactly what I was thinking and I really like the look of the Vision levers for this application. I think down the road this is exactly what I would like to do except I want to use my HED Flip-lites. This would allow me a bit better access to the brakes when needed. I will be doing my TT's on a close course (as far as I know) but testing would have to be done in an area with very little traffic.

I guess you missed the statement under the pic that it's a cut down MTB bar ;-)

To be honest, I didn't originally intend to come up with this configuration...but, this is what results when one decides to "trim" the upturns off a Vision basebar the night before a TT and then doesn't follow the old carpenter's rule of "measure twice, cut once"....DOH! After swearing up a storm in the garage, this is what I came up with in a pinch to get me on the road with what I had on hand. The total width isn't really much narrower than a MTB bar, and the brake operation is similar to that as well with the Vision levers mounted so they go forward like that. It's not completely as stable as a wider basebar would be, but then again, I never feel as stable on the basebar as I do in my extensions anyway...so it's not that big of a deal to me.

In Reply To:
I think it has been your front brake that I have been looking at. I know that you can pick up the rear brakes only on Ebay and I was thinking of getting 2 of the rears down the road if my tests go well. What are you using on the rear as well.

AFM just recently posted his version of the same thing on gregclimb's "wattagetraining.com" forum. His straddle cable setup is much slicker...but I still have a few tricks up my sleeve, including the elimination of the straddle cable completely...stay tuned for the "Mark II" version ;-)

On the rear, I just use an old Shimano 600 brake.

In Reply To:
The front brake looks great and I am assuming that it pulls enough to stop well?

Well enough for a TT bike anyway. I switched the stock Tektro pads (the brake is actually a Tektro model) for some KoolStop Salmons and that improved the braking quite a bit.

Quote Reply
Re: TT bike set up with minimal basebar. [footwerx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Also, sorry if this has been posted before but can you show us how you made the modifications to the front brake?

http://wattagetraining.com/...opic.php?f=2&t=3

...which includes AFMs pics of his version as well.

Quote Reply
Re: TT bike set up with minimal basebar. [footwerx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I forgot to respond to this...no, the iAero doesn't tell me that...but Robert Chung's "Virtual Elevation" field testing method sure did :-)

Quote Reply
Re: TT bike set up with minimal basebar. [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Believe me, I understand what you were doing with it, and that you would never race like that, but just the thought of mounting in like that made my nuts feel like they were in a vice.

Chris

Actually...I did race November's Piru 20K TT with that on there...and I won!

Of course, it helped that I was the only Cat 4 that showed up <HA!>

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not that i'm any expert but that hardly looks more aero than a good flat bar. lot of junk sitting in the wind...
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike set up with minimal basebar. [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
not that i'm any expert but that hardly looks more aero than a good flat bar. lot of junk sitting in the wind...

And you may be right...but like I said above, that was my solution "in a pinch" and it actually worked out quite nice (don't be fooled by "extra junk" of the iAero and it's mount sitting out there ).

Next up is an old Scott 100K bar setup that's been "waiting in the wings" for way too long ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but look at it this way: that clamp must have what, an 8000 lb towing capacity? so if you want to haul the boat up to the lake on the weekend it's all's good.

and because i almost did the exact same thing cutting the horns off my vision bar.
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike set up with minimal basebar. [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
but look at it this way: that clamp must have what, an 8000 lb towing capacity? so if you want to haul the boat up to the lake on the weekend it's all's good.

and because i almost did the exact same thing cutting the horns off my vision bar.

Shhhh...you're revealing my "secret" TT towbar device....shhhhhh! :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the easiest way to do this is to find an old Scott 100k bar - I figure it's one of the most aero bars around since once you're in the aero position there's nothing exposed to the wind. Haven't seen any data on them, but that's my guess.

Christopher Kautz
Director of Technology, Product Development, and Education
GURU Sports, a division of Cannondale Sports Unlimited
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike set up with minimal basebar. [ckautz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...is to find an old Scott 100k bar - I figure it's one of the most aero bars around since ...

Now that is just funny since the "P" in PKRacing still uses one of those bars...

But you knew that right?

;)

g

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike set up with minimal basebar. [gregclimbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course - Eric will NEVER give those bars up! He's still got a stash of them hidden away somewhere I think, just in case ;-)

Christopher Kautz
Director of Technology, Product Development, and Education
GURU Sports, a division of Cannondale Sports Unlimited
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike set up with minimal basebar. [ckautz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sure he has a stash of them hidden away as they are damn near impossible to find.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a pair if you want them. Make me an offer.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Chris

Actually...I did race November's Piru 20K TT with that on there...and I won!

Of course, it helped that I was the only Cat 4 that showed up <HA!>

So Tom...what you're really saying is that when you raced with that on there you were LAST!
Quote Reply

Prev Next