Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TT/tri saddle for wide sitbones
Quote | Reply
I need a tt/tri saddle that fits.

When I bought a road saddle last, I sat on the ass-ometer at the store here in the UK and we worked out that I have wider than usual sitbones.

On that visit, I bought a Specialized Romin, 155mm width, which I'm very very comfortable with.

Yes, I'm aware that saddles are a trial and error thing, but can anyone with similar requirements recommend something that worked for them?

I'm male by the way!
Quote Reply
Re: TT/tri saddle for wide sitbones [AforEffort] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well you shouldn't sit on your sitebones for a tri saddle so it shouldn't matter. Try a few split noses and see how they feel. Just make sure you are rotated forward like a tri bike and not like a road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: TT/tri saddle for wide sitbones [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, fair point, I'm reckoning that if there's a STer out there who uses my road saddle (or similar), they will also be using a TT saddle that I might find comfortable.

But in addition, are there any good rules of thumb for 'If you use road saddle X, you might like tri saddle Y'?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought if you were on a split nose saddle the whole point was that you were sitting on your sit bones? Because the split allows you to pivot forwards on your sit bones without crushing any softer parts. Certainly how it feels on my Adamo.

To the OP - worth trying an ISM Adamo. Many people find the prongs too far apart, one solution being to use a cable tie to bring them a bit closer together. So with your wide sit bones you may find they work well out of the box. I have no idea whether I have wide sit bones or not, but the Adamo certainly works very well for me in both road and tri position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unlike most people, I do sit on my sit-bones on my tri-bike like I do on my road bike. I know it's a bit unusual but there are people that sit that way.

I do agree that a spit nose saddle would probably be the right way to go though but the OP should look again at the women's specialized saddle line as well since they are built with a wider pelvis in mind.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: TT/tri saddle for wide sitbones [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
I thought if you were on a split nose saddle the whole point was that you were sitting on your sit bones? Because the split allows you to pivot forwards on your sit bones without crushing any softer parts. Certainly how it feels on my Adamo.

To the OP - worth trying an ISM Adamo. Many people find the prongs too far apart, one solution being to use a cable tie to bring them a bit closer together. So with your wide sit bones you may find they work well out of the box. I have no idea whether I have wide sit bones or not, but the Adamo certainly works very well for me in both road and tri position.

Nope proper tri saddle you sit on your grundle.

Feel your sit bones. Now rotate your pelvis forward to tri bike position. How would it be possible to do both at once? Your back could need to come straight up and bend 90 degrees to be flat at the bars. Easier to pelvis rotate and have your back start at 45 degrees no?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, if nothing else today I've learnt a new word - thank you for introducing grundle to my vocabulary! Maybe I'm anatomically unusual, but like jaretj I certainly do sit on my sit bones in the tri position, and I do so with a relatively flat and straight back. In fact with a split nose saddle I'm not quite sure where my grundle would go? Surely it nestles into the split, in which case it's the sit bones on either side that are taking most of the weight?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also ride a Romin 155 on my road bike. For the tri bike I settled on an SMP T2 saddle.
Quote Reply
Re: TT/tri saddle for wide sitbones [mstyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mstyer wrote:
I also ride a Romin 155 on my road bike. For the tri bike I settled on an SMP T2 saddle.

This is exactly the reply I was looking for!

Thanks, I'll give it a go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the links below might be helpful to clear up the Grundle, Sit Bones description.

I am pretty sure the Sit Bones refer to the Ischial Tuberosity, which connects to the Inferior Ramus (Pubic Rami), which are labelled in this image and ISM discusses in their FAQ here

They are connected and in a normal road position your weight is supported by the ischial tuberosity, as you roll your hips forward in what is considered proper position when aero you roll onto the pubic rami, which you can kinda see in this bad diagram.

The grundle comes into play on a traditional saddle shape because as you roll forward the nose puts pressure on the soft tissue between the pubic rami, which goes by many names, grundle, taint, perineum. This diagram shows what that looks like. Split nose or noseless saddles and saddles with a valley or trough are designed to minimize the pressure on the soft tissue and ensure the weight is supported by the bone structure as much as possible which is supposed to be the least uncomfortable, reduce numbness, and increase blood flow.

Finally an image of a bone model on a seat with hips rolled forward like in the aero position you can see the thicker ischial tuberosity isn't really touching the saddle and the contact point is about an inch or two forward either on or more towards the pubic rami.

I hope this has all been helpful, and of course if there are any experts out there let me know where this is inaccurate!
Quote Reply
Re: TT/tri saddle for wide sitbones [Sonny83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't speak to others, but for me that last picture is nowhere near how I sit on my saddle in either road or tri position, I'm scooted much further forward than that. I'd guess that the bit of my ischial tuberosity which is resting on the prongs of my ISM saddle is roughly the bit that's over the second "L" in "Selle" in that picture. To make that position work, I have the saddle pushed back as far in the rails as it will go. Dan wrote a good article on this a couple of months ago which described how to fit a rider with a split-nosed saddle. If I was sitting on the saddle in the last picture, then no part of my body would be making any contact with that saddle behind the "d" of "dynamic".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The photo was to show the orientation of the hip bones and the contact portion to clear up the terminology being used, not necessarily the proper fore/aft position on the saddle or to show what is good for any specific ride. In regards to the sit bones(ischial tuberosity) vs pubic rami and what is supporting weight in the aero position I am just trying to be very specific as to the anatomy to avoid confusion but really if people call the whole structure the sit bones it doesn't really matter as long as we agree (which I think we do) it involves rolling the hips forward so the bone contact area isn't the same as when in a road position to avoid the bad back posture shown in my previous post.

To relate this sidetrack to the OP's original post he mentioned his sit bones were measured and were wide but as the rider rolls the hips forward the space between the bones narrows, so wide spaced ischial tuberosities as measure in road position might not correlate to needing a wider noseless saddle. This front on view shows the width of the contact area in different position.

Also for the OP check out this review on tririg for the fizik tritone, for two reasons, one they just came out with a wider version if that is what you need and also the geometry/fit section I thought was helpful. He talks about the 'sweep' of the saddle and how the steeper the sweep the smaller the area is to find the sweet spot for your specific fit. He prefers a gradual sweep so he can dial in exactly where the contact happens on the saddle. I thought that was a good bit of knowledge to think about when saddle shopping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After trial and error, I ride the romin 155 on my road bike and use a sitero on my tri bike. Im quite comfortable and satisfied with both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like the Cobb Randee saddle. I started with the Cobb Plus but found I needed a wider firmer saddle. Huge difference on the switch. It felt like I could ride forever.

Usually they would recommend the JOF 55 for use on a tri bike and the Randee for road. The Randee is the wider of the two, 155mm vs 135mm.
Quote Reply
Re: TT/tri saddle for wide sitbones [lytic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

if you are interested to take a look at one option take a look at the story of my saddle design here:
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...iy%20saddle#p6758253

I really like the Specialized Romin on a road bike, but when I bought a triathlon bike I noticed that I have to figure out something more to get rid of perineal pressure.

-Erik

http://www.ramusseat.com
https://www.instagram.com/ramusseat
Quote Reply