Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
TSA confiscated my CO2 cartridges
Quote | Reply
Checked in my bike. Saw a note from TSA that they inspected my bike and both CO2’s are missing. Is this kosher?

Any solution to this? If it’s an unalloyed item, I don’t want to carry it with my carry on.
Quote Reply
Re: TSA confiscated my CO2 cartridges [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to break it to you, CO2 cartridges are plain not allowed on planes. Well known issue. If you try ordering them I have seen the disclaimer from online retailers that they are not available for next day air type delivery specifically on their websites even. So, do like everyone else does and don't pack them and then buy some at the race site.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
Checked in my bike. Saw a note from TSA that they inspected my bike and both CO2’s are missing. Is this kosher?

Any solution to this? If it’s an unalloyed item, I don’t want to carry it with my carry on.

Not only kosher, but I would say that you are lucky not to be fined. Almost certainly when you checked bags, you completed a certification that you weren't bringing all manner of impermissable items, including any compressed cannisters, onto the plane (checked or carry on).

Solution - you buy them at the venue and give them away when you leave for good karma.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. You cannot fly with them either in checked luggage or in carryons. Just buy some at the race expo when you get there.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.airsafe.com/...s/baggage/banned.htm

They made an exception for life vest inflator CO2 cartridges. Bike CO2 is prohibited in carry on and in checked baggage. It's been that way for many years. Purchase a CO2 at the expo or race bike support or a local bike shop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep had to remove mine also. Not legal to put on plane

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: TSA confiscated my CO2 cartridges [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok. Didn’t know that they weren’t allowed.
Thanks all
Quote Reply
Re: TSA confiscated my CO2 cartridges [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
KingMidas wrote:

Not only kosher, but I would say that you are lucky not to be fined. Almost certainly when you checked bags, you completed a certification that you weren't bringing all manner of impermissable items, including any compressed cannisters, onto the plane (checked or carry on).

Solution - you buy them at the venue and give them away when you leave for good karma.

Interestingly, they weren’t removed on the flight to the race. They were removed on the flight back home. So someone missed it as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TSA missed something? That never happens!!! ;)

Yes, it's not allowed as noted. Buy them there. Tri Bike Transport also says for international races, no C02s on bikes (although I left mine on after Coz and they made it back)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend got caught with C02 cartridges and had is TSA Pre-Check suspended for something like 6-9 months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've flown with it, in my bike box with the bike, many times, domestic and international. The only time that it got pulled was in Denmark while coming back from IM Denmark. It's a hit and miss.

Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
http://www.airsafe.com/issues/baggage/banned.htm

They made an exception for life vest inflator CO2 cartridges. Bike CO2 is prohibited in carry on and in checked baggage. It's been that way for many years. Purchase a CO2 at the expo or race bike support or a local bike shop.

That article dated 2014 - is this "rule" just US related? I've flown international since that date & only restriction was you couldn't place in carry-on's (obvious). Flown across US too, in/out LAX & never had an issue.

You think a tiny CO2 canister is going to cause a problem in a hold? I doubt it but hey....

edit to add: I've seen this 'rule' used by bike store retailers & race expo organisers.

If its an official airline safety regulation then it'd be good to know.
Last edited by: endoverend: Oct 18, 17 13:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That does not mean it was legal. It just means you were not caught

The rules vary internationally with respect to things like avy bag inflators

CO2 are considered haz mat. CFR49 details rules and regs on labelling and shipping. Air regs are derogated from UN chapter 10 via IATA and CFR

Dont pack em
Quote Reply
Re: TSA confiscated my CO2 cartridges [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
That does not mean it was legal. It just means you were not caught

The rules vary internationally with respect to things like avy bag inflators

CO2 are considered haz mat. CFR49 details rules and regs on labelling and shipping. Air regs are derogated from UN chapter 10 via IATA and CFR

Dont pack em

Found this on IATA site, it seems all you need is a cheap life-vest & you're all good! ;-)

Gas cartridges, small, non-flammable containing carbon dioxide or other suitable gas in Division 2.2. Up to two (2) small cartridges fitted into a self-inflating safety device such as a life jacket or vest. Not more than one (1) device per passenger and up to two (2) spare small cartridges per person, not more than four (4) cartridges up to 50 mL water capacity for other devices.

I've been asked flying out of Spain (Mallorca & Lanza') each time I said I had in bike box but nothing in carry-on.
All depends on how they interpret the regs I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: TSA confiscated my CO2 cartridges [endoverend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. Difference is US rules are different

All dangerous goods rules principles come from UN. Country specifics vary. So US and EU not same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next time, tie wires around them and suspend them in your seat tube. Maybe line the seat tube with lead foil. Should be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: TSA confiscated my CO2 cartridges [wmcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wmcc wrote:
A friend got caught with C02 cartridges and had is TSA Pre-Check suspended for something like 6-9 months.

Not surprised. Pre-check and GE are definitely held to a higher standard; it's a pretty explicit exchange of convenience for privacy, money, and promising that you know and will abide by the rules.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huh. Learned something new. I’ve flown numerous times with two of them either in my Ogio tri bag, or still on the bike, depending on whether I’ve taken the draft box off or not. No one has ever said anything. Guess I’ll stop doing that.
Quote Reply
Re: TSA confiscated my CO2 cartridges [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had them confiscated twice. Once they even removed the rubber sleeve and left that in the bag. I think I will stop traveling with them....didn't know they could suspend Pre-Check....that would suck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is another scenario.

They asked me at the Kona airport if I had any CO2 canisters in my bike box.
I said "no"....
Which was true.

But I did have a container of Vittoria Pit Stop.

1) I assume that Pit Stop is also not allowed. ( It is pressurized).
2) I also assumed that if the had found it that they would have confiscated it.
3) That it was worth the risk- since Vittoria Pit Stop is a little bit expensive, and that I could play stupid if they found it.

Are we saying this was a bad choice. That if they found the Vitoria they might of fined me?
(Not just thrown it away).

What is the chances they would do that?
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Oct 18, 17 14:20
Quote Reply
Re: TSA confiscated my CO2 cartridges [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No

There is a DOT procedure for haz mat violations. Dont know how tsa / dot work together these days but i'd not want a cebtralised record, even if only a written warning of trying to board with a banned substance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x1

Flew up to Boulder this year for the half and had no issues.
Quote Reply
Re: TSA confiscated my CO2 cartridges [DesertTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To everyone who's flown with them and had no TSA issues, even though they're pretty explicitly prohibited items:

How much confidence does this give you in our "security theater?"

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: TSA confiscated my CO2 cartridges [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
None

I accidentally made it to and from with a .22 cartridge in my bag, just one at the bottom of the bag. Most likely fell out of a box at some point in time and I used the bag to fly. Found it cleaning out the bag after the trip. I don't use any bag I would fly with as an extra range bag now!
Quote Reply
Re: TSA confiscated my CO2 cartridges [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
To everyone who's flown with them and had no TSA issues, even though they're pretty explicitly prohibited items:

How much confidence does this give you in our "security theater?"

It’s a facade.
Anyone with half a brain can get past it.

But god forbid I take my Tailwind bag with me. They called the bomb squad to examine it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next