Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TRI CLUBS and GYMS in Columbus OHIO?
Quote | Reply
Dear Ohio Tri community, I have recently moved to Columbus Ohio from Madison, WI and would love to get folks' thoughts on Tri clubs in the area, as well as, any indoor cycling facilities/teams for winter training. I intend to keep my current coach, but would love a team to join/gym to both socialize and help push my training. Any help would be very much appreciated as I don't know what options are available in the area for training indoors/group rides/open water swims and team events.

sincerely,

Zach
Quote Reply
Re: TRI CLUBS and GYMS in Columbus OHIO? [zach2007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might try posting your question on the HFP Racing Facebook page as they are central Ohio
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you located? I'm near OSU campus, so swim at the RPAC (which is great). Miles of tpaved rails to run on, and great riding outside of 270 - either flat (starting in Hilliard/Dublin) or hilly (popular area to ride from is the Starbucks in New Albany).

There are a few Tri groups but I haven't done anything with them so can't comment. I either hook up with other triathletes I've met (mostly cycling), or hit up some group roadie rides.

I've heard great things about Madison, so CBus may be a step down. But I think this area is great for training. I have very little time available to train, and find it manageable to incorporate into my busy schedule because of convenience with how everything is located.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forgot to mention, alum creek is great for open water swimming, but not very convenient to get to unless you live in the North suburbs. I've done some swimming in a quarry near Run Away Bay apartments, but you have to be careful about parking - may get towed.

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot is going to depend on what part of town you live in.

There is the Central Ohio Triathlon Club, but they are not very active over the winter, and actually winding down now. They run at least one ride a week in various parts of town, do a once a week track workout, and have been doing an open water swim at Alum Creek once a week.

There are several Lifetime Fitnesses (Fitni?), several community rec centers with pools that are nice, multiple YMCA's (some better than others) Several sets of multi-purpose trails, lots of trails in Metro Parks that are great to run on. And a ton of places to ride (just depends what part of town you are starting in).

Tri Tech Multisport has done some indoor rides in the winter in the past, not sure if they are still doing that.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: TRI CLUBS and GYMS in Columbus OHIO? [jackattack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we are not a step down

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where do you live?

Quote Reply
Re: TRI CLUBS and GYMS in Columbus OHIO? [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on what you measure by. Training wise, CBUS is awesome. I've never been anywhere better.. But the racing scene could be better (which I think you'd agree with;). Madison has an IM!

Quote Reply
Re: TRI CLUBS and GYMS in Columbus OHIO? [USPro Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ryan, will do!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jack,

I am looking in the New Albany area. However, I work in the Arena district and open to all areas.

Zach
Quote Reply
Re: TRI CLUBS and GYMS in Columbus OHIO? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks J P O,

Any thoughts on a club or cycling program that has indoor computrainers or classes?
Quote Reply
Re: TRI CLUBS and GYMS in Columbus OHIO? [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMEER,

I live in New Albany, but work in the Arena district.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sent a pm

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a small group that I workout with at the downtown YMCA, we get a few rides and runs together but never anything real structured. I live in German Village and work south of town, so getting to the COTT workouts doesn't work for me. I think there is a group called Just Tri in town also.

New Albany seems to be the cycling Mecca of Columbus, I always see triathletes out there riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who's been towed there I can attest to that statement ;)
Quote Reply
Re: TRI CLUBS and GYMS in Columbus OHIO? [JT_Dennen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is short list of training groups/clubs:
- Central Ohio Triathlon Club - club
- TriColumbus - training group; primarily short distances
- JustTri - training group; focuses more on 1/2 to full IM
- Balanced Tri - full IM
- Pure Bravery Multisport - all distances
- BaseTri Fitness - all distances
- Energy Lab - 1/2 to full; focus on balanced training with weight training/facility and nutrition
- YMCA's - all tend to have loose-knit training groups.

For swim, check out Unified Aquatics Club - swim in Bexley which is near downtown and close to New Albany.

Central Ohio is blessed with an abundance of training resources. It all depends on your goals, schedule and training distance.

Welcome to Central OH, and best of luck with training.

Craig Thompson
Greenswell
http://www.greenswell.com
Achieve your best! Be your Best!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zach,

Welcome to New Albany. I moved to NA in April after living near the OSU campus for 20 years. I do nearly all my training solo so I don't have any good info for you. You might want to try to make one of the NA Thursday evening rides in the next couple of weeks and talk to some of those guys about upcoming group indoor riding opportunities or ask at the VeloScience shop in NA. Most of the tri guys I know are family guys who do most of their indoor riding solo.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Sep 22, 15 12:50
Quote Reply
Re: TRI CLUBS and GYMS in Columbus OHIO? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Zach,

Welcome to New Albany. I moved to NA in April after living near the OSU campus for 20 years. I do nearly all my training solo so I don't have any good info for you. You might want to try to make one of the NA Thursday evening rides in the next couple of weeks and talk to some of those guys about upcoming group indoor riding opportunities or ask at the VeloScience shop in NA. Most of the tri guys I know are family guys who do most of their indoor riding solo.

I am in New Albany as well. We need to form our own group! Happy to get together for riding/running/swimming. PM me if interested in connecting.
John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I train solo but would be happy to give you ideas on different routes to ride heading north. I am up around Alum Creek area and ride over to Sunbury / Galena / Hoover area fairly often. Also have a decent route for some hills (at least the best we have close by) up around Mansfield.
Quote Reply
Re: TRI CLUBS and GYMS in Columbus OHIO? [CBJFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CBJFan wrote:
I train solo but would be happy to give you ideas on different routes to ride heading north. I am up around Alum Creek area and ride over to Sunbury / Galena / Hoover area fairly often. Also have a decent route for some hills (at least the best we have close by) up around Mansfield.

I live at the corner of Old State and North Galena. Lots of good routes up this way. I've developed a real nice 50 - 60 mile route with low traffic that goes north through Cardington and Caledonia. Now if the chip seal they hammered me with late this summer can smooth out a little I'd be happy.

Quote Reply
Re: TRI CLUBS and GYMS in Columbus OHIO? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are practically neighbors. I am close to Old State and Cheshire. Where do you cross 36 at and do you go up through Ashley ?
Quote Reply
Re: TRI CLUBS and GYMS in Columbus OHIO? [CBJFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CBJFan wrote:
We are practically neighbors. I am close to Old State and Cheshire. Where do you cross 36 at and do you go up through Ashley ?

If I do cross 36 I usually do it either on North Galena where the light is east of 71, or if I am on the other side of 71, I use Sweeney Road, the road that runs right by the railroad tracks before you get to Delaware or go behind the Meijers and cross at the light by Oakland Park Nursery on SR521. You can cross at 3B's & K but you have to be pretty careful (and my wife really encourages this one since my life insurance is pretty good).

I am north of 36 and take most of my rides north from there. You can also go east towards the Delaware reservoir and there are a lot of nice roads. And if I go east I can get into hills pretty quick. I go through Ashley constantly. It is just 4 miles up the road from me and they just repaved Ashley Road so it is nice and smooth.

Quote Reply