Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
TRIATHLETE: Use the Kick Board... Use it alot (not really)
Quote | Reply
Okay the title is just a troll to get reads... I don't think you should use a kickboard a lot (unless you have the time to swim 20K per week)

This post is really about how to use/implement kicking effectively into a swim workout for a triathlete.

A couple of points:

1) It is not really true that a hard kick will "wear out" your legs for the rest of your race. The muscles you use to kick are not the same. Do you know what muscle is strained the most when you kick? Everything on the front side of the leg from knee down. Do a hard kickset and you will learn this pretty quickly.

2) The number one benefit most triathletes are going to see from having a stronger kick is to stabilize the arm pull. Obviously the aim shouldn't be to develop a sustained 6 beat kick for 45 minutes. But a good 2 beat kick will help you pull faster (increased turnover) and pull harder.

3) So the real aim of kick specific work should be to increase plantar flexion. If you have already have good plantar flexion then - and this is where I would agree with the notion that kicking can be a waste of time - it will take a ton of kicking to get marginally better at it. Of course most people do not have good plantar flexion.

A couple of time effect ways to improve plantar flexion:

1) never do slow kicking - especially with a kick board. The mechanics of a slow "recovery" kick are all wrong - especially if you are using a board. Most people will start kicking from their quads and relax their ankles. Plus slow kicking is, well, slow.

2) Something as short as 4 all out 25s with or without a board but with fins will really loosen up the ankles. You don't need to pound away for 1000 yards.

3) Dolphin kick if you can. A dolphin kick will hit your stabilizing muscles like nothing else (okay this has nothing to do with flexion).

4) I like doing 100 repeats where I swim the first 75 freestyle and then kick on my back hard with pointed toes on the 4th 25. I add 10 seconds to my interval if I do that so a set of 12 takes an extra 120 seconds. Not a big waste of time.

Finally - how do you know if you have decent plantar flexion? If you can flutter kick on your back and move smoothly down the pool you are doing something right.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIATHLETE: Use the Kick Board... Use it alot (not really) [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup.

i'll disagree a bit with #1, you can do a recovery kick set with good mechanics. but the rest of the points are solid.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: TRIATHLETE: Use the Kick Board... Use it alot (not really) [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it takes you 1 minute and 57 seconds to cover 25 yards with a kick board while kicking, should you continue? True case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whenever I swim threads, I think of Doug Stern. Never knew him (may he RIP) but he imparted knowledge better than most.
To wit http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...arch_string=;#996096
Quote Reply
Re: TRIATHLETE: Use the Kick Board... Use it alot (not really) [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
If it takes you 1 minute and 57 seconds to cover 25 yards with a kick board while kicking, should you continue? True case.

Learning how to kick correctly (or at least stop your legs from slowing you down) will help.

Your kick should improve by 1:20 seconds per 25 if you:
1) point your toys straight like a balarina (ie plantar flexion)- stop keeping your feet flat like a parachute moving through the water.
2) stop trying to run or ride a bicycle with your legs
3) use your legs (a little) to move through the water with

These adjustments should make it possible for you to kick 25 yards in 30 seconds. That is probably good enough.
You do not need to be able to do 25 in 18 seconds like a swimmer. Or kick hard and consistently for 2000.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIATHLETE: Use the Kick Board... Use it alot (not really) [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:
Billyk24 wrote:

Learning how to kick correctly (or at least stop your legs from slowing you down) will help.

1) point your toys straight like a balarina (ie plantar flexion)- stop keeping your feet flat like a parachute moving through the water.

These adjustments should make it possible for you to kick 25 yards in 30 seconds. That is probably good enough.
You do not need to be able to do 25 in 18 seconds like a swimmer. Or kick hard and consistently for 2000.

The lack of plantar flexion is the issue. Spent three months working on it with stretching and whatever. Ended up with a measured 1/2 inch improvement and no kick improvement. Adult on set swimming is difficult. Lot easier to just drag the legs along.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIATHLETE: Use the Kick Board... Use it alot (not really) [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:
Billyk24 wrote:

1) point your toys straight like a ballerina (i.e., plantar flexion)- stop keeping your feet flat like a parachute moving through the water.

These adjustments should make it possible for you to kick 25 yards in 37 seconds. That is probably good enough.

This 1:20 per 25 yd improvement is not likely to happen overnight though, as it may take Billy several months or years to get to where he can actually point his toes like a ballerina, and possibly he may never achieve a true ballet point. However, he will never know unless he works on pointing his toes and trying to kick better. No doubt he can improve a lot from 1:57 per 25 yd.

Edit to correct math: 1:57 - 1:20 = 37 sec:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Last edited by: ericmulk: Dec 19, 14 12:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:

1) point your toys straight like a balarina (ie plantar flexion)-

So THIS is why my 12yr old ballerina daughter glides through the water like a motorboat with her arms more or less along for the ride!
Quote Reply
Re: TRIATHLETE: Use the Kick Board... Use it alot (not really) [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
dirtymangos wrote:
Billyk24 wrote:

The lack of plantar flexion is the issue. Spent three months working on it with stretching and whatever. Ended up with a measured 1/2 inch improvement and no kick improvement. Adult on set swimming is difficult. Lot easier to just drag the legs along.

Actually, 1/2 inch in 3 months is pretty good as this is a long process and i'll bet that, if you could really do a controlled test, your kicking has improved but you just haven't hit the right day yet. Have you tried kicking on your back w/arms overhead in streamline??? Kicking on the back is very good for very gradually stretching out the feet/ankles.

Quote Reply
Re: TRIATHLETE: Use the Kick Board... Use it alot (not really) [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using flippers (the other evil swim tool) and doing dolphin-kick sets with them - every ligament & joint feels well-stretched after a few hundred yards of that.

based on some threads here last winter, I started incorporating about 250-400Y of kick drills into every workout. My kick speed has gone from truly pathetic all the way up to geriatric-breaststroke speed. In the meantime though, I've noticed it is easier to get the legs to take care of themselves (autopilot), also easier to keep legs higher in the water, and my overall speed has gone way up.

Being that I also have knee problems, I've also noticed that the increased time spent kicking seems to have improved knee stability during the run.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIATHLETE: Use the Kick Board... Use it alot (not really) [benjpi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can kick on my back and move ok. I can kick in a streamline with a snorkel and move slowly. Head up holding a kick board I hardly move at all to don't move at all. Any tips? With a snorkel seems the most specific to free style.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Yes. My 7 year old can kick 25m in 30. HTFU

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes! It's all about snap and plantar flexion.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: TRIATHLETE: Use the Kick Board... Use it alot (not really) [kjanracing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want tips on how to do it, I'll tell you what I did:

1. Race Club videos on Youtube
2. Search ST for threads where Gary Hall contributes and read them (can't remember his ST handle though, but I think that "hall" is part of it)
3. Grit your teeth, accept the fact that your weekly total yardage will go down, and include kicking in your workouts. Lots of it.

I've been kick focusing for about a year, with a low week having 1200Y of kicking and a high week having 2000Y or so, and I'm still slow. It took almost 8 months before I noticed that I was moving faster (but still not fast).

It just makes sense to me. We'll spend thousands of dollars trying to save a few grams of drag on our bikes, but in the water - where drag effects are amplified - we'll discount the idea that pointed toes will make a difference at speed? That isn't logical to me. Even if I have a very simple, slow kick during open water, I'd rather that each leg stroke produce SOME propulsion, rather than just being a log dragged in the water behind me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best drill is to get a kickboard wet, then drape your workout on paper on it so it sticks. Then prop it up on the gutter so you can see it and do everything with a pull buoy. Just kidding. But totally.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: TRIATHLETE: Use the Kick Board... Use it alot (not really) [benjpi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about posting photos of your plantar flexion --ie with a vertical ruler/tape measure and your 25yd/m average kick time? It might be stunning the lack of plantar flexion some of possess. I will post later today.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIATHLETE: Use the Kick Board... Use it alot (not really) [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah because the only reason one kicks is for propulsion and triathletes just need to turn over faster - signed a lot of ignorant triathlon coaches.

The importance of why the kick matters is nuanced so it is not surprising that so many do not understand it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe there is nothing better than to spend as much time as possible kicking when you are in the pool.
Forget this silly stroke nonsense, for all of those who can't kick a 50m under a minute, devote your time to kicking until you can.
I think all Triathletes, especially those with swimming backgrounds should use as much energy as is humanly possible doing kick sets.

I want to thank all of you for this continuing emphasis on kicking, and dolphin kicks? brilliant.
I can think of no greater use than a good dolphin kick to open water free style swimmers.
Just think one day you may be able to jump through a hoop. TV stardom awaits.

Forget the idea that adult learners haven't got any swimming muscle whatsoever above the waist. That's an old wives tale that they need muscle.
Don't waste your time developing those muscles guys, they do nothing for you, and whatever you do don't learn to swim properly, just learn to kick, because once you can kick you will magically develop a fully formed, powerfull pull. Because the kick is the secret to breathing properly (giggle), anchoring your pull (snigger), going faster in all phases of your race (laugh out loud, wet my knickers).
Really really!

Kick I say, and then kick some more. Because in a three sport event, you have all the time in the world to spend on learning to kick.

I get such a kick out of this.

pssst..Anyone who can actually swim well (ie fishes) can swim with or without a kick, with or without a pull buoy, in seawater or freshwater. Because they have good body position in the water and the kick has nothing to do with it. But ssshhh don't tell anyone.
And they, Triathletes without a swimming background, should also spend gobs of time learning a flip turn, forget simple streamlined open turns.
So while you're at it. Go flipping mad.

:0)
Quote Reply
Re: TRIATHLETE: Use the Kick Board... Use it alot (not really) [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for making my job easier. Keep on using your pull buoy all the time. Put your oversized paddles on when you have no "feel" for the water. Oh, don't forget to swim with the band a lot and ignore the kick. Makes my job monumentally easier. I appreciate it.

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: TRIATHLETE: Use the Kick Board... Use it alot (not really) [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnappingT wrote:
Thanks for making my job easier. Keep on using your pull buoy all the time. Put your over-sized paddles on when you have no "feel" for the water. Oh, don't forget to swim with the band a lot and ignore the kick. Makes my job monumentally easier. I appreciate it.

You forgot to add only swim freestyle and never bother swimming the other 3 strokes, much less kicking the other three. Kicking dolphin kick on your front and back, plus back flutter kick, could never possibly help you kick better on your freestyle, much less swim faster freestyle. And breaststroke, what a sheer waste of time for a tri-person:)

Quote Reply
Re: TRIATHLETE: Use the Kick Board... Use it alot (not really) [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And only do long sets of repeats on 5-10 seconds rest. Don't ever do race-pace quality work on longer rest intervals.

Remember, yardage is king.

---------------------

"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you are right."
Quote Reply
Re: TRIATHLETE: Use the Kick Board... Use it alot (not really) [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phog wrote:
I believe there is nothing better than to spend as much time as possible kicking when you are in the pool.
Forget this silly stroke nonsense, for all of those who can't kick a 50m under a minute, devote your time to kicking until you can.
I think all Triathletes, especially those with swimming backgrounds should use as much energy as is humanly possible doing kick sets.

I want to thank all of you for this continuing emphasis on kicking, and dolphin kicks? brilliant.
I can think of no greater use than a good dolphin kick to open water free style swimmers.
Just think one day you may be able to jump through a hoop. TV stardom awaits.

Forget the idea that adult learners haven't got any swimming muscle whatsoever above the waist. That's an old wives tale that they need muscle.
Don't waste your time developing those muscles guys, they do nothing for you, and whatever you do don't learn to swim properly, just learn to kick, because once you can kick you will magically develop a fully formed, powerfull pull. Because the kick is the secret to breathing properly (giggle), anchoring your pull (snigger), going faster in all phases of your race (laugh out loud, wet my knickers).
Really really!

Kick I say, and then kick some more. Because in a three sport event, you have all the time in the world to spend on learning to kick.

I get such a kick out of this.

pssst..Anyone who can actually swim well (ie fishes) can swim with or without a kick, with or without a pull buoy, in seawater or freshwater. Because they have good body position in the water and the kick has nothing to do with it. But ssshhh don't tell anyone.
And they, Triathletes without a swimming background, should also spend gobs of time learning a flip turn, forget simple streamlined open turns.
So while you're at it. Go flipping mad.

:0)
[URL=http://s337.photobucket.com/...zpswi2ca4io.gif.html][/url]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phog, what you don't know, you don't know...

You cannon reach your potential as a swimmer until you can flutter kick on your back with your hips elevated to the water line. There is no exception to this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AJ

good post, too bad the discussion take a poor turn with the last few posts. I think the difficult question with kicking is how much should be done. It become a very tricky question when you have age group athlete that swim 2h/week.

It s in part why so many will prefer to not focus much on the kick and find alternative method to swim decently. My experience is that with so little time, i have a higher success rate in showing them to hide there legs neatly behind the body than investing time teaching them effective kick. As there level of swimming improve, there competency in kicking also does.

But i do know it s a controversial debate between triathlon and swim world. lots of different way to get athletes to the front pack.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd also suggest kicking on your back both with and without fins

edit: didn't skim the thread before posting, saw it's been mentioned

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Dec 21, 14 9:38
Quote Reply

Prev Next