Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
TOUGHMAN NY Championship Roll Call!
Quote | Reply
Alrighty, I'm injured and sick, but I'll still be out in NY on September 13 for TOUGHMAN NY. Both TOUGHMAN, TOUGHKIDS NY, and the Aquabike Championship are all sold out.

Any of you ST'ers in this with me? Who's got some advice for a first-timer on this course?

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: TOUGHMAN NY Championship Roll Call! [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to be there. You won't be able to miss the group I am with either.

See you out there!
Quote Reply
Re: TOUGHMAN NY Championship Roll Call! [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zachboring wrote:
You won't be able to miss the group I am with either.

This sounds promising! See you there!

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
Alrighty, I'm injured and sick, but I'll still be out in NY on September 13 for TOUGHMAN NY. Both TOUGHMAN, TOUGHKIDS NY, and the Aquabike Championship are all sold out.

Any of you ST'ers in this with me? Who's got some advice for a first-timer on this course?

I'll be there volunteering on Saturday for the kids race.

Advise for the kids race:

Plan to stay for the entire event (bring snacks) - The road is CLOSED - Once the road closes you can not leave until its over. Cheer the kids on and stay out of their way. Enjoy the event, watching the little kids race is a lot of fun.

Advise for the adult race:

Swim straight, keep the rubber on the road, don't draft, don't cut the course short.

Remember - it starts and finishes at the same place, so for every hill you fly down - you have the climb the same amount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ill be there....not racing but I am with the group Zach is with...just get ready to have a good time
Quote Reply
Re: TOUGHMAN NY Championship Roll Call! [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for volunteering for the kids race - the kids love this stuff, and they can't do it without you!

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there again this year, despite several weeks of work-driven "tapering"...
I like the race, and I thought that the organizers did a great job.

A few thoughts:
1) the swim last year sucked. During the warm-ups I watched buoys drift off the line with the current which was crazy strong. They lifeguards tried to fix them, but they ended up putting a left turn/drift into the first leg. I also watched a lot of people cut the final bouys at the top of the course - either on purpose or accidentally. I gritted my teeth and swam the whole thing (as my lousy times and my Garmin track show). That left me with a bad taste in my mouth at the start. It was my worst 1/2 swim ever, in terms of time and enjoyment. Others afterwards had similar comments, including the belief that the course was long, although it could have been a combination of the current and poor sighting skills (https://connect.garmin.com/...n/activity/585339698)

2) The bike course was cool in that they closed 9A to traffic - a few steep hills, and once I got through the packs that started before me, it was actually quite empty on the course, despite being a 2 loop course. The last ~1 mile was a no passing zone on little bike paths, but a good cooldown before T2. My garmin had ~4,000 ft climb (https://connect.garmin.com/...n/activity/585339703)

3) The run was hard: basically an out an back with a very good climb up, and then another good one between 10 and 11. On a positive note, the course is downhill from about mile 11 to the end. Good spectators on the course, and I was very happy to have them spray me with a hose several times to cool off, despite the fact that it was quite shady. My garmin captured it at ~850 foot climb. (https://connect.garmin.com/...n/activity/585339708)

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Looking forward to it. Should be a fun weekend.

Quote | Reply
I'm in. Really out of shape and heavy. Only race all year.

The swim is the only thing I'm ok at, so I hope Rich has tasers set up for people cutting the swim course.
Quote Reply
Re: TOUGHMAN NY Championship Roll Call! [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
I'm in. Really out of shape and heavy. Only race all year.

The swim is the only thing I'm ok at, so I hope Rich has tasers set up for people cutting the swim course.

I'm laughing out loud at the taser idea...

Well, unfortunately, I am out. I've been fighting a back injury since July and I'm going to have to listen to my doctors. Nonetheless, I will still be out there and plan to volunteer and cheer everybody on.

The worst part is that I am participating in Medals4Mettle and am supposed to earn a medal for a 4-year-old boy. I feel like I'm letting this little guy down - he survived cancer, and I'm just surrendering to a back injury. Who's the real TOUGHMAN here? If anybody is interested in maybe taking my place, I'd appreciate it.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll give you my medal. Let's connect later in the week.

If there is anything else you need, let me know. Hope to see you out there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can have my finishing medal. Now, if you mean a podium medal, well, I kind of doubt it. But if a miracle should happen, you can have that too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be the fat 40 year old Zach in the one piece Team Danbury Audi suit.
Quote Reply
Re: TOUGHMAN NY Championship Roll Call! [espejo09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pussy

Internet User
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome - thank you, guys! This means a lot to this kid, and I'm sure he'll be excited. I'll get in touch with the Medals4Mettle contact and make arrangements. Thanks!

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be the fat 23 year old in the TRS gear taking beer at every aid station.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait, hold up, "beer at every station"?

If MurphysLaw shows up, might need ICB's too.
Quote Reply
Re: TOUGHMAN NY Championship Roll Call! [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ill be the pussy on the side cheering everyone on
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are hosting the world's first and only Beer Half Marathon Championships.

Minimum of 4 beers. Each addtional beer knocks 5 mins off your time.

Plus:

As an open invite to everyone, we will be hanging out post race then moving to the cabins on the park grounds. Come hang out and grab a beer with me and the TRS Crew. Would be glad to have anyone!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are these beers located at each aide station during the run? What is the buy-in? Light beer? What if I cut the course and only run to each aide station via the aqueduct?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no clue. This is just a way for me and the rest of the group to justify drinking during the race.

Light beer counts, but you loose 10,000 man points.
Last edited by: zachboring: Sep 9, 15 12:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alcohol (ethanol) is prohibited In-Competition only, in the following sports. Detection will be conducted by analysis of breath and/or blood.

NOT IN TRIATHLON THOUGH!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live 2 miles form the South end of the bike course, will be out there with cowbells. where are out of towners staying? is there a night before beer happening?
Quote Reply
Re: TOUGHMAN NY Championship Roll Call! [SDinhofer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDinhofer wrote:
I live 2 miles form the South end of the bike course, will be out there with cowbells. where are out of towners staying? is there a night before beer happening?

We are staying in the park and will be hanginger out at cabins. Sure there will be beers to be had. Come on out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in; first time as well. Still looking for accommodations haha - any recommendations for something cheap and close?

Prev Next