Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TIMEX: I used to love them, UPDATE AND RESOLUTION!
Quote | Reply
So ever since they came out with the first Ironman watch I have loved that product, price, company, and future iteriations of the line. Even loved that they put money into pro/AG triathlon teams, but;

I bought the Timex One GPS Plus watch a few months back, well my wife bought it for me as a gift. Got the gift a few months later, and now they will not activate it as it has been discontinued. WTF! How can you sell a product that has all these cool features and then not activate it? Have called all the way up as far as one person can go, now wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

They say just take it back to retailer for refund, but was bought at Sports Chalet that has since gone bankrupt. Their answer to that was "too bad". So they will not activate it or trade it for something that can be, brand new in the box. Talk about pissing off your customer, can this customer service be explained away, what am I missing? Gone up the line through 3 managers, seem to have hit a road block now, need the collective help of the ST mafia now.

Anyone work of the company, know someone that does, I want to love them again!!!
Last edited by: monty: Oct 26, 16 9:35
Quote Reply
Re: TIMEX: I used to love them, want to strangle them now.. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
State your problem in a respectful fashion on social media - basically create a big enough stink that they take care of you.

https://www.facebook.com/Timex/

https://twitter.com/timex
Quote Reply
Re: TIMEX: I used to love them, want to strangle them now.. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The watch itself doesn't work until it's activated?! Through USB on a computer or wifi or?

Or are we talking about the online service (like garmin connect) the watch will not communicate with?

Former would be a terrible way to do business, and I'd worry about data mining or why else would they make that a requirement? The latter I'd understand.
Quote Reply
Re: TIMEX: I used to love them, want to strangle them now.. [microspawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
microspawn wrote:
State your problem in a respectful fashion on social media - basically create a big enough stink that they take care of you.

https://www.facebook.com/Timex/

https://twitter.com/timex

I'm not always a big fan of creating a social media stink for some things since some people will abuse it due to some sense of entitlement but in this case refusing to even activate a product seems ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Even loved that they put money into pro/AG triathlon teams

Hare Krishna
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So could this company also deactivate obsolete models forcing followers to buy a new device, as the company sees fit?

Now that is a marketing plan for sure!

I would be upset for sure.

Two months ago I created a Garmin Connect account for my 14 year old to track his runs using a very, very old Forerunner 305.

Keep poking them and good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer. I have one, too. I didn't know they've discontinued support for the watch. Not surprising, I guess. Seemed like a good idea, but tough to break into the Garmin-dominated market.

Don't think I ever would have bought one. I won it at a local running race. I was hoping that it would be a nice upgrade from my Garmin 910XT, which worked perfectly, but I've never liked it and only used it a few times. The fit is clunky and (more importantly) the GPS shorted me on distance. It was nice to have the auto uploads via cellular (and I think they took care of the 2nd year of AT&T for free). I never used the music storage or live tracking features.

For the same price, the Garmin 920XT would be my choice. And I bought one recently through the tip here re: HeartRateMonitorsUSA for $299 - a discount made it about $259 or so. Even got the black / gray one previously only available in the Tri bundle.

Keep on them! Hopefully, they'll make it right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sucks. Timex is now working a major 0-2 in my recent observations. A friend of mine has one of their regular GPS watches from a couple years ago. Timex had partnered with Training Peaks, because they did not have their own web tool. But, they dropped the partnership, so my buddy's watch is degraded to TP's basic plan. It is kind of useless.

Timex either needs to go all in and commit, or just get out of GPS watch business entirely. It only takes a few public product abandonments before customers lose trust in the brand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're still within the credit card challenge window, I'd file a CC dispute since you were sold a product that can't do what it says it can do (not even close).
Quote Reply
Re: TIMEX: I used to love them, want to strangle them now.. [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
That sucks. Timex is now working a major 0-2 in my recent observations. A friend of mine has one of their regular GPS watches from a couple years ago. Timex had partnered with Training Peaks, because they did not have their own web tool. But, they dropped the partnership, so my buddy's watch is degraded to TP's basic plan. It is kind of useless.

Timex either needs to go all in and commit, or just get out of GPS watch business entirely. It only takes a few public product abandonments before customers lose trust in the brand.
I think they've reached that point. Too much (better) competition.
Quote Reply
Re: TIMEX: I used to love them, want to strangle them now.. [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The watch itself doesn't work until it's activated?! //

Yes it needs to be activated on their end, or you have a shitty piece of jewelry. And thanks all thus far for your inputs. I'm not going the social media route because those arenas are so toxic and the people are many times worse than our LV room during an election! I came to you guys because everyone here is pretty internet savvy, and you all are just plain smarter than the gen pop. I hate to have to post this, never done it before and usually hate when others do, unless they are righteous beefs. I just wanted conformation that I do in fact have a legitimate beef, and will take it to a higher power. No, not god, a much heavier dude, Dan... (-;

And I get that Garmin owns the space, but my wife thought this would be cool, it plays your music, gives you all the GPS stuff, even gets your calls and emails I believe. Not that I would use most of this functionality, but I would like it to give me the time and distances of my workouts, is that too much to ask?? Or give me something they can support, I'm not picky!

I mean really, this is Times, not some foreign start up that just went belly up. At least if it were, I could accept this kind of customer service. This is the very reason many of us pay more from a well respected company, you believe that you have a backstop if something goes wrong..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's ridiculous. Last time I had to activate something before use pretty sure it was a smartphone. Which at least makes sense.

Reminds me a little of offline single player video games that require an online account to play (which conveniently requires your name and e-mail address. Geee what a shocker... not.) Then the game developer dissolves, or they decide not to support that game anymore. The login server is turned off, and anyone with that game still installed on their computers can no longer play it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked at the Timex website and it looks like they've gone out of the GPS business. What model is this watch?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: TIMEX: I used to love them, want to strangle them now.. [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The device has (had?) AT&T cellular service, which is what it uses to push your workouts to a third-party training log interface like Strava, since they hadn't yet developed their own. I'm guessing that's what needed to be activated. I can't remember. Maybe it was also setting up the link to push over to the training site(s).

Mine was the Timex One+ GPS. Not surprising that they went belly-up. Nice idea, but the execution was a bit flawed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Timex Cycle Trainer and I received an email that they will stop supporting Device Agent (the software that pulls the workout off of the device, and uploads it to training peaks or saves it to the computer).
The email said that Device Agent would be shut down in early 2017.

What was not clear is if I could keep using my bike computer and saving workouts to my computer, or if all functionality would somehow entirely cease.

If someone else can clearly explain this, I'd appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Re: TIMEX: I used to love them, want to strangle them now.. [mstange22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine was the Timex One+ GPS. Not surprising that they went belly-up. Nice idea, but the execution was a bit flawed.

That is the one I have too. Ya great idea, but if you know you are shit canning them, don't sell them right before you pull the plug!! That is 3rd world shit, not something you would expect of a company like Timex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
send an email to dcrainmaker, maybe he has a contact at timex
Quote Reply
Re: TIMEX: I used to love them, want to strangle them now.. [microspawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't always work. Did that with SRAM when the rear deraileur blew apart on me last year. They pretty much said take it to the bike shop--who said, yeah...you need a new one. SRAM told me they wouldn't do anything about it. Recently, Garmin 510 had the plastic back part that hooks into the mount break (cheap plastic). They said for $79 I could get a different rebuilt one. So for $19.99 I bought "dog ears" GPS aluminum replacement mount. Can't figure out why Garmin, reknowned for cheap plastic mounts on the back breaking a lot, continue to ignore the durability issue & try to cash in more on an already $300 item. Rather than give it to Garmin, I gave it to Dog Ears & at least it should be solid. Garmin used to go way above the norm in customer service but the last few product issues, they've been sort of anti-customer service in my experiece. Twitter did not do anything to move either company to make it easier to continue with either of these companies. In fact, I have my last SRAM bought gruppo, the "Leap to Red" was a mistake. Going back to Shimano.
Quote Reply
Re: TIMEX: I used to love them, UPDATE AND RESOLUTION! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I knew you guys would come through for me. Someone on the team reached out to someone where things roll downhill, and now I will be getting a refund. SO appears they are out of this watches business, but that is ok, problem resolved.

SO much easier to have things roll downhill rather than pushing that stone up the grade, thanks again you guys, you are awesome!!
Quote Reply