Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
TDF TTT stage and the SPEED!
Quote | Reply
So these were the fastest TTT times ever in TDF history. Top team Orica averaged almost 36mph.

That is really rather amazing when you consider it. Definitely understand why they were using 55 and 56-tooth big rings and 11's in the back.
Quote Reply
Re: TDF TTT stage and the SPEED! [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flat course, and 6-7 riders to support. Thus, everyone can go max out, and the recycle into the line.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so glad the sport has cleaned up, otherwise one might suspect something
Quote Reply
Re: TDF TTT stage and the SPEED! [TheBeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Times have been slower, not faster.

Quote Reply
Re: TDF TTT stage and the SPEED! [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude no spoilers. I have yet to make it home to watch
Quote Reply
Re: TDF TTT stage and the SPEED! [royd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No problem, I wasn't talking about today's race, i was talking about the last 4 years.
Quote Reply
Re: TDF TTT stage and the SPEED! [royd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
royd wrote:
Dude no spoilers. I have yet to make it home to watch

Uhhhh....then don't click on the thread?

I mean, I am all for not posting spoilers as I usually watch the stage when I get home....but if there is a thread that saus "TDF TTT stage and the SPEED" then it is a pretty good bet that there will be spoilers inside, no?

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: TDF TTT stage and the SPEED! [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea yea i know. I'm sitting and waiting and was bored.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's even more surprising is that a Cervelo bike didn't have the fastest time. With the 'proven' time savings of the P5 over every other frame in the world, I can't imagine how another team possibly won.
Quote Reply
Re: TDF TTT stage and the SPEED! [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because the guys on that TTT squad for this year are mostly climbers. They need that extra aero to even be around ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
What's even more surprising is that a Cervelo bike didn't have the fastest time. With the 'proven' time savings of the P5 over every other frame in the world, I can't imagine how another team possibly won.

But Plasma Premium is well known to be really fast..........
and for me it is about legs!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What proven time savings are you referring to?
To my knowledge there aren't any such claims made. Generally Cervelo has said the Scott Plasma is excellent.

Jctriguy wrote:

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: TDF TTT stage and the SPEED! [RIOBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RIOBR wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:

But Plasma Premium is well known to be really fast..........
and for me it is about legs!!!!

'fairly fast' doesn't compete with the P5. I think it must be at least 1-2 generations ahead of the curve. Probably saves 3-400 g drag over the next best superbike.

In all seriousness, if you actually went through and added up all the supposed aero and speed gains talked about in the forums people would all be riding 50km/hr TT's just from buying speed. I have no doubt that some bikes are faster, but the magnitude of the difference seems grossly exaggerated on ST.
Quote Reply
Re: TDF TTT stage and the SPEED! [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:

Times have been slower, not faster.

Not today, overall the fastest TTT ever. Of course its road cycling so course set up, strategy and weather have a lot to do with it but that goes both ways. if you use history as proof that riders didn't dope then today throws a big wrench into that.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: TDF TTT stage and the SPEED! [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just my long-standing dislike of Cervelo, dating back to the early days in the mid to late 90's. They have always had an arrogance to their marketing. Describing their older bikes as generations ahead of the current superbikes, etc, etc. Not doubting that they have done some good things with bike design, but they have done even better things with marketing. The tri crowd just eats up everything they sell.

When I had a Cervelo, it had 650 wheels and a short head tube so that we could get low. I'm 6'2" and had nearly 12" of seat post showing. You saw a lot of Cervelo's with 3-4" of spacers and riser stems just so people could ride them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't want to start a new thread referencing the TTT, so I'll bump this one.

There is so much "evidence" out there that says a properly places horizontal bottle between the arms helps reduce drag. It has been said numerous times that it is the fastest hydration set up. It can be argued that it becomes less fast once you remove the bottle and put your elbow out in the wind, have to sit up and drink, etc., but tit for tat, it's fastest. So much so, that even an empty bottle to fill the space was considered faster than no bottle at all.

I could be wrong, but I didn't see 1 rider rolling a BTA hydration set up. Most riders didn't have any at all, but a few did (including Contador). All but 1 hydration setup I saw was nothing more than a regular bottle someone on the frame. I did see 1 aero bottle on the frame (can't remember which team and pretty sure I deleted it off my DVR).

Can it be reasonably assumed that even though the BTA set up might test faster in a tunnel while the bottle is in place, there might be other reasons that would make this a less optimal choice (in regards to speed). What other reason would there be that not 1 rider I saw used a BTA setup?

Not flaming, just asking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well they fixed the spacer problem eh? haha

Jctriguy wrote:
Just my long-standing dislike of Cervelo, dating back to the early days in the mid to late 90's. They have always had an arrogance to their marketing. Describing their older bikes as generations ahead of the current superbikes, etc, etc. Not doubting that they have done some good things with bike design, but they have done even better things with marketing. The tri crowd just eats up everything they sell.

When I had a Cervelo, it had 650 wheels and a short head tube so that we could get low. I'm 6'2" and had nearly 12" of seat post showing. You saw a lot of Cervelo's with 3-4" of spacers and riser stems just so people could ride them.

Quote Reply
Re: TDF TTT stage and the SPEED! [LSUfan4444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing it's against the rules to have a BTA water bottle at the Tour this year.

-------------------------------
Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away.
Quote Reply
Re: TDF TTT stage and the SPEED! [pito00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it has been against the rules for a while now.
Basically became against the rules just after pro riders started doing it =)

pito00 wrote:
I'm guessing it's against the rules to have a BTA water bottle at the Tour this year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They changed some UCI rule in the last year or two, I think they have to use a regular round bottle now. At least that is sticking in my brain for some reason, I THINK that happened before last year's tour or so. As for why they can't put said round bottle on the extensions, I am sure there is another stupid UCI rule to limit aero gains.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: TDF TTT stage and the SPEED! [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect, thanks. Figured there had to be something I was missing. I didn't figure it would be that obvious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LSUfan4444 wrote:
I don't want to start a new thread referencing the TTT, so I'll bump this one.

There is so much "evidence" out there that says a properly places horizontal bottle between the arms helps reduce drag. It has been said numerous times that it is the fastest hydration set up. It can be argued that it becomes less fast once you remove the bottle and put your elbow out in the wind, have to sit up and drink, etc., but tit for tat, it's fastest. So much so, that even an empty bottle to fill the space was considered faster than no bottle at all.

I could be wrong, but I didn't see 1 rider rolling a BTA hydration set up. Most riders didn't have any at all, but a few did (including Contador). All but 1 hydration setup I saw was nothing more than a regular bottle someone on the frame. I did see 1 aero bottle on the frame (can't remember which team and pretty sure I deleted it off my DVR).

Can it be reasonably assumed that even though the BTA set up might test faster in a tunnel while the bottle is in place, there might be other reasons that would make this a less optimal choice (in regards to speed). What other reason would there be that not 1 rider I saw used a BTA setup?

Not flaming, just asking.

i wouldn't read anything into it. some of the riders went with empty standard cages on downtubes and seat tubes. right out of the gate. very odd.

Martin's team had two or three guys who did it. i thought i'd read that its better to have a bottle in the cage. less turbulence.
Last edited by: dsmallwood: Jul 3, 13 6:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as I could tell, even if legal, most couldn't fit it anyway. Unlike most triathletes (not all, don't flame me) their elbows are almost touching. I'm not sure they could get a bottle in there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UCI rules on position and equipment, and then sponsorship obligations, make it really hard to compute "what is fast" by watching the pros.

LSUfan4444 wrote:
Perfect, thanks. Figured there had to be something I was missing. I didn't figure it would be that obvious.

Quote Reply
Re: TDF TTT stage and the SPEED! [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was 23k. I doubt anyone even drank much if anything at all. They may be required to have a cage on the bike as a rule. Haven't looked at the regs in a while.

Last edited by: Daremo: Jul 3, 13 6:28
Quote Reply

Prev Next