Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Syracuse 70.3 vs. Raleigh 70.3
Quote | Reply
What are the general thoughts on these races? Trying to decide between the two...
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse 70.3 vs. Raleigh 70.3 [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never done Syracuse.

Raleigh is a good race. The swim causes some people anxiety though as it is usually on the borderline between wetsuit legal vs. non-wetsuit legal. Jordan Lake is a nice swim venue. You do have to take a shuttle from downtown Raleigh to Jordan Lake really early in the morning which just adds one extra level of complexity. It's not a problem, just something to be aware of. The bike course is a fair one. Roads are good. Lots of rollers but no extended climbing. I feel like the ride gets harder in the second half because of the hills and the wind tends to pick up by then. The run always feels hillier than the course profile would suggest. And it's hot as balls by that time of day with very little shade.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Last edited by: rotosound: Sep 29, 16 14:34
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse 70.3 vs. Raleigh 70.3 [rotosound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pushed back two weeks? It's the same weekend as normal. It's June 4th.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse 70.3 vs. Raleigh 70.3 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It used to be in May, at least the ones I've done.

Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse 70.3 vs. Raleigh 70.3 [rotosound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rotosound wrote:
It used to be in May, at least the ones I've done.

Only in 2015 did that Sunday work out to be in May (the 31st). But it's always been the weekend after Memorial Day.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse 70.3 vs. Raleigh 70.3 [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bad.

Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse 70.3 vs. Raleigh 70.3 [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have done Syracuse 4x. Never done Raleigh. Syracuse is tough. Ride is hilly but fine. The run is a bear. Pretty course, though, and nice location for family to hang and spectate while you race. I admit that every year I say I am never going back to Syracuse because of the run, yet find myself back there.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse 70.3 vs. Raleigh 70.3 [littlenorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Syracuse this year and it was a hot and hilly race on Father's Day. Starting in the 2nd to last wave didn't help either. Swim was fine except for some seaweeds. Bike was hilly for first 10 miles then had some rollers in the middle, then hills again at the end. 2 Lap run course is toughest I have done, due to the 90 degree heat(no shade) and super steep hills at the turnaround. I'm in for 2017 for my IMLP prep race.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse 70.3 vs. Raleigh 70.3 [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have only done Syr 70.3, also in prep for IMLP, and second that it's a tough course. Unexciting swim, absolutely beautiful yet tough bike course, and an incredibly tough run. The hilly bike and run combination has to be one of the toughest combinations out there. The run goes partially through a field (which serves as a parking lot), which you run twice; not a fan. I saw lots of folks rolling ankles, etc. The overall slow times show how tough the course is, it's def a humbling course and great prep for IMLP.

AV8 | Team Wattie Ink Elite 2019
Quote Reply