Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Syracuse 70.3 2016
Quote | Reply
I just registered for Syracuse 70.3! anyone else doing it? My background is running and cycling, and I train a lot in the fingerlakes, so not too worried about the hills. The swim is always a concern, but that's true everywhere...

Fighting Cystic Fibrosis with Carbon Fiber, and killing it.
http://featherandwedge.tinmountain.org/...ation-13-chris-kvam/
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse 70.3 2016 [cdale613] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be there as a warm up to placid. It's a fun race. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in! It'll be my first 70.3. Looking forward to it! Hopefully the weather starts improving otherwise we're in for a cold swim!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race. I did it twice in 2010 and 2012.

The bike course has changed for this year. The middle 20 miles are different from years past.

The run course is a bitch. That hill at the turnaround of each lap is just brutal. Mile up, mile down.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm registered, not going to be pretty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there! It will be my first 70.3.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm there. 1st time doing this race. Will hopefully have my legs back after Quassy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done the race the past two years, and really enjoyed it. I would suggest getting there early on race day morning. Last year we left the city in what we thought was plenty of time and then sat in a lane of traffic and got to transition 10 minutes before it closed. We were in a later wave, but still some added stress. Speaking to locals it sounded like they knew to go around and come up from the south?

Can't comment on the new bike course, but the run is tough. You're on grass for a bit and then there is that hill at the loop turnaround.

Actually I can comment on the bike...there is a no passing zone at the end that everyone complains about. I don't know if it is still there with the new course. Please don't pass. I was in a group of about 15 to 20 in that zone and there was one guy who kept trying to move up on the left, then on the right. After a minute everybody was yelling at him to just chill. It is what it is, don't make it a dangerous situation to save half a minute on your bike time.

Have a great race.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse 70.3 2016 [alittleslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't believe there is a no pass zone in a race. I was considering this "race" but this seems completely ridiculous even if it is for only 1 minute. I understand they are likely doing it for safety, but in a race you pass people (or would try to). the goal is to get from a to b as fast as possible not to wait in a queue. For $270 dollars per entry I think they could figure out a way to expand or reroute to get rid of this. (hopefully the new course got rid of this)

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse 70.3 2016 [bofferman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what ive read the new bike course has eliminated the no pass zone.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse 70.3 2016 [cannedham1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cannedham1 wrote:

The no passing zone has not been there every year. It seems to come into play every other year. Not sure why.

The no pass zone was in the last couple of miles. That portion of the bike course still remains. The change was in the middle 20 miles or so of the course.

Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse 70.3 2016 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to racing this year! Hoping to improve last years result by one place ;)

With regards to the bike course changes only the first ~16 miles are the same as previous years and the "no pass" zone has been completely removed. We no longer return to transition by heading north on Apulia. Instead we head north on Lafayette (parallel to Apulia) and then make a quick backtrack southbound on Apulia. This eliminates any bike-run course overlap which was the reason for the "no pass" zone in the first place.

Last edited by: mhoffman: Apr 14, 16 9:18
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse 70.3 2016 [mhoffman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the helpful info!! And good luck to all... It's my second half iron distance, but it's been awhile, and it will definitely be interesting. My biking and running are pretty solid... the swim is always a challenge.

Fighting Cystic Fibrosis with Carbon Fiber, and killing it.
http://featherandwedge.tinmountain.org/...ation-13-chris-kvam/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
The run course is a bitch. That hill at the turnaround of each lap is just brutal. Mile up, mile down.

Is the hill really a mile long? I live in hilly NH, and climbs of that length are fairly uncommon, but maybe NY is different...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alittleslow wrote:
there is a no passing zone at the end that everyone complains about. don't make it a dangerous situation to save half a minute on your bike time.

Everybody complains because you lose A LOT MORE than half a minute. I'm told that this section is quite long, so if you typically race a sub 2:30 bike split, you are penalized pretty bad compared to Mr. PloddingAlong at 3-4 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse 70.3 2016 [Petrarch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Petrarch wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Is the hill really a mile long? I live in hilly NH, and climbs of that length are fairly uncommon, but maybe NY is different...

It really is a mile up and a mile down. Much of it at 10+% grade.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every bit of a mile! Don't discount how much coming back down the hill takes out of you, that's a lot of impact every step down. The first climb on the bike course is tough, about a mile out of the park it starts a 10-12 mile uphill. Don't blow up there and you will start rolling by the people who couldn't pace themselves on the final half of that ride, on a side note, last year there was a motocross race going on at a ski resort you pass on the ride, that was kind of cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will also say watch out coming down that run hill. Felt great until that exploded my legs. Made the rest of the run more of a hobble/stickman run. And you get to do it twice! Good luck

Ready or not here I come!
Coaching NY's Southern Tier
Swift^3
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse 70.3 2016 [bofferman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bofferman wrote:
Can't believe there is a no pass zone in a race. I was considering this "race" but this seems completely ridiculous even if it is for only 1 minute. I understand they are likely doing it for safety, but in a race you pass people (or would try to). the goal is to get from a to b as fast as possible not to wait in a queue. For $270 dollars per entry I think they could figure out a way to expand or reroute to get rid of this. (hopefully the new course got rid of this)

This is something you are going to have to get over. Lots of races have no passing zones, including 70.3 Worlds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
cannedham1 wrote:

The no passing zone has not been there every year. It seems to come into play every other year. Not sure why.

The no pass zone was in the last couple of miles. That portion of the bike course still remains. The change was in the middle 20 miles or so of the course.
No pass zone was not there the first two years as the run went towards Syracuse when the bike is coming from the other direction.

First year the run was a point to point from the park leaving the same direction the bike left and finishing in downtown, the second year was a loop that left the same direction the bike left, it was in the third year that they had the run leave the park the other direction therefore creating the need for the no pass zone.

I know, I did it all 3 of those years
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those doing the race take:
-81 South
-Get off on route 20/Layfaette
-Head East on 20
-Left on Auplia Road to race site
-you will be one of few people turning right into parking lot and will save you a ton of time.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is false. The "no pass zone" is not in the race this year. You finish the race heading south on Auplia road and enter T2 going left into the park. Last year you finished going north on Auplia road and it was a tight fit because you shared the road with cars and runner.

This year there will be no runners so no need for a no pass zone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Petrarch wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

It really is a mile up and a mile down. Much of it at 10+% grade.

The run elevation map doesn't really tell the same story (not saying you're wrong, just trying to clarify) - is the hill really that tough? 400 ft of gain over the entire course is pretty much nothing. The hill itself looks like ~150ft rise over a mile which would make it an average grade of about 3%. Anyway, I'm thinking of signing up in the next few days as I've always wanted to do this race.

http://www.ironman.com/...elevation%202012.pdf

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse 70.3 2016 [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does this race sell out?
any comments about the swim (ie temp)?
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse 70.3 2016 [ptakeda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Syracuse last Year and the run was stupidly brutal.
I checked my garmin graph and the up hill can be split in 2 main parts 0.23mile(12%) and 0.21mile(10%).

The wet suit was legal for the swim and people were here to help you removing it after the swim.
Quote Reply

Prev Next