Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Switching from yards to meters in the pool?
Quote | Reply
So I may be joining a new club (better facilities and closer to home) but they have an olympic size pool so 25 meter lanes and all my workouts and training plans have always been in 25 yard pools. Here is my question, It has been suggested that I should keep my workouts as far as distance the same ie- 10x100's are still 10x100's just now meters and to add 10 seconds to all my send off times for 100's ( 5 seconds for 50's, 20 seconds for 200's ect.) Any thoughts would be helpful. I am nervous about making the switch because I am really happy with my swim workouts right now and the results that I get from them. Thanks guys.
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from yards to meters in the pool? [dwgrenle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. Keep the workouts the same, add 11% to the send off and target times (rounded to the nearest 5 secs for send offs. ) so if you were doing 10x100 on 1:30, it would now be on 1:40. If you were targeting 1:10's, then you would now target 1:18.

Back in college, we trained in a scy pool, but we would swim scm for most meet's and I'd train scm over the summer with the club. It's no biggie to switch back and forth.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you do flip turns, you may have to adjust your strokes and breathing pattern per length. The reason is that a 25m pool is 82 feet in length, vs a 75 foot pool. That's longer than a half-cycle (one arm stroke) and shorter than a full cycle for most swimmers. I take about 7-7.5 cycles in a 25y pool or about 5' per half-cycle. I swam in a 25m pool in December and had a tough time changing the dynamics. I either had to glide into turns or chop my strokes a few meters from the wall to fit them in.

ALSO IMORTANT: if you do any backstroke, or kicking on your back, remember that the backstroke flags are 5m out in a metric pool, 16" farther out. Not a big deal, you won't hit your head, but your turn timing will be off.
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from yards to meters in the pool? [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't worry about it, just do it.
You will feel slower, you'll look at the clock after finishing a 100 or whatever and think "Damn, that time seems slow"
Do the same workouts, adjust your intervals. Soon enough, it will be normal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dwgrenle wrote:
but they have an olympic size pool so 25 meter lanes

Is it an olympic size pool (50m length) or 25m pool?

Greetings from the German Wine Route,
Roland
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First world problems
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from yards to meters in the pool? [RolandG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RolandG wrote:
dwgrenle wrote:
but they have an olympic size pool so 25 meter lanes

Is it an olympic size pool (50m length) or 25m pool?

Maybe an LCM pool that is being used as an SCM by swimming side to side instead of the full length, to allow more lanes and use?

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, don't worry about it, just do it! You'll be used to it before the end of your forst workout.

Interesting story; the pool that go to has movable bulkheads and is set up with 25 M on the deep side and 25 yds on the shallow side. Ocassionally the wil flip them for a swim meet. My wife swims in the meter end 99 % of the time and I switch back and forth depending on what I'm doing and how I'm feeling.

Recently, we went there. The distances had been flipped and the deep side was closed so we both swam in the shallow, usually 25 yd, end. which was now meters. After we finished, I asked my wife haw long it tok to realized that it was meters. Her answer ''I never notieced, I just thought I was slow today''

So you see, it makes very little difference.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from yards to meters in the pool? [dah5609] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dah5609 wrote:
First world problems

USA, Libya and Burma problems, not really first world on average...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No reason to be nervous unless swimming faster is a problem..... At lunch, I swim at a pool that is 25 yds. On w/e's, I use a pool that is 25 meters. By keeping the same workouts(N *100), you'll swim a little further which just helps you out in the long run. My biggest obstacle is that the meter pool seems to be about 10 degrees cooler, so getting in scares the beejesus out of the boys....
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from yards to meters in the pool? [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't worry about it, just do it.
You will feel slower, you'll look at the clock after finishing a 100 or whatever and think "Damn, that time seems slow"
Do the same workouts, adjust your intervals. Soon enough, it will be normal.

Exactly. I do feel slower in a 25 m pool. I think it's because the change in distance from a 25 yd pool is so small. But yeah, swim a couple of 100's and your send off time will become obvious.

Or

Keep the intervals the same and you'll be faster.

Last edited by: schroeder: Jan 30, 15 5:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait until you do that first butterfly set. That extra 7 feet may not seem like much, until you have to do that extra 7 feet.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, swimming scm or lcm (compared to scy) will get you in better swim shape. Assuming, you are doing the same quality workouts in a scm or lcm pool.

I always felt I was in better swim shape when I swam LCM.

Just for clarication, a 25m meter pool is not an olympic size pool. An olympic size pool is 50m but perhaps your new pool can be set up either way.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from yards to meters in the pool? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming that the OP knows the difference, and it's a LCM pool normally set up as SCM. Both of the LCM pools here are normally set up like that, so they can accomodate more groups at the same time. Often the divers / synchro / waterpolo teams are practicing in the deep end while the swimmers are slogging it out in the shallow end.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from yards to meters in the pool? [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If you do flip turns, you may have to adjust your strokes and breathing pattern per length."

Couldn't have said it better myself :) I ended up doing the chop instead of the glide.

Quote Reply
Re: Switching from yards to meters in the pool? [MikenUltra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the advice guys, just needed that little push to do it. I will take all the advice and swim my same workouts, just adjust the send off times, or maybe not adjust and force myself to get faster. Thanks again.
BTW- It is an Olympic distance pool but the lanes are set up width wise to swim scm in order to offer more lanes. They set it up length wise lcm for meets.
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from yards to meters in the pool? [PiledHigher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LibERIA, not Libya.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't want to do the math yourself you can use this conversion tool:

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/results/conversions.asp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mix it up and let you body/mind adapt.

I think it will be good to get out of your comfort zone and push something new...you will adapt quickly and learn to handle change in race conditions etc. more easily.

Hit open water on a regular basis and back to your 25yd pool on occasion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dwgrenle wrote:
So I may be joining a new club (better facilities and closer to home) but they have an olympic size pool so 25 meter lanes and all my workouts and training plans have always been in 25 yard pools. Here is my question, It has been suggested that I should keep my workouts as far as distance the same ie- 10x100's are still 10x100's just now meters and to add 10 seconds to all my send off times for 100's ( 5 seconds for 50's, 20 seconds for 200's ect.) Any thoughts would be helpful. I am nervous about making the switch because I am really happy with my swim workouts right now and the results that I get from them. Thanks guys.

I clicked on your name and saw that you're in Oxford, MS. Since you are in the U.S., you might want to check on the width of the pool as most U.S. olympic pools are 50 meters long but 25 yds wide b/c 25 yds is the standard short course distance in the U.S. I swam several times at the Ole Miss pool there in Oxford back in the mid-90s and i recall with certainty that we were swimming in a 25-yd pool, but i can't remember if we were swimming widths or lengths. Anyway, just wanted to mention this variation in the units of measurement of most oly pools here in the States, just FYI:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply