Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimskin Comparisons
Quote | Reply
This year has me looking at a lot of non-wetsuit swims, and just to see if it'd be worth it I borrowed a swimskin from a friend and sure enough - significant, measureable time savings per 100m in the pool. I did the same workout set one week apart - the difference between my first go (wearing a square leg suit) and the swimskin was 6s/100m

So, I'm sold on getting one - but what is the deal with the varying prices and quantities out there? It looks like you're looking at anywhere from $100 (Xterra after coupon) to upwards of $300 (Roka Viper X, 2XU, etc.). Is there any indication of what makes a swimskin faster or slower, and what makes a suit worth $100 or $300? How do you decide on the best suit, without wasting unnecessary money?

Re: Swimskin Comparisons [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in a similar situation. All good questions with no real answers...

I think the best answer is probably finding one that fits well.

If you already know the one you tried saved you 6 sec/100, that sounds like a pretty good one to buy
Quote Reply
Re: Swimskin Comparisons [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

If you already know the one you tried saved you 6 sec/100, that sounds like a pretty good one to buy

I should point out, the square leg suit I have is probably closer to a drag suit in terms of fit, so I'm not saying 6s/100m is typical, and I'd probably see less between that and jammers... I just don't train in jammers anymore.

Quote | Reply
So your test compared Swim skin to a regular swimsuit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may want to wait until this summer when blueseventy comes out with their sleeved swimskin . . . that is next up for me.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blue70 has a great one I have been using for years!!!

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: Swimskin Comparisons [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kiwami's is out and shipping. And fast.......

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to climate change, everyone is looking at a lot of non-wetsuit swims this year

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Swimskin Comparisons [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Thanks to climate change, everyone is looking at a lot of non-wetsuit swims this year

THANKS OBAMA

Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
This year has me looking at a lot of non-wetsuit swims, and just to see if it'd be worth it I borrowed a swimskin from a friend and sure enough - significant, measureable time savings per 100m in the pool. I did the same workout set one week apart - the difference between my first go (wearing a square leg suit) and the swimskin was 6s/100m

So, I'm sold on getting one - but what is the deal with the varying prices and quantities out there? It looks like you're looking at anywhere from $100 (Xterra after coupon) to upwards of $300 (Roka Viper X, 2XU, etc.). Is there any indication of what makes a swimskin faster or slower, and what makes a suit worth $100 or $300? How do you decide on the best suit, without wasting unnecessary money?

Are you trolling Dan??? There is no way in heck a swimskin is testing 6s per 100m, at least no a decent swimmer who is swimming say 10x100 on LCM 1:30 say coming around 1:20. Frankly, after talking with this to Desert Dude this morning on the phone regarding my own protocol and testing. Make your control a tight fitting trisuit just like you would use for the bike and the run. Nobody is doing a triathlon in a drag suit, nobody is doing a triathlon in just a speedsuit.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Apr 16, 17 17:02
Quote Reply
Re: Swimskin Comparisons [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Nobody is doing a triathlon in a drag suit, nobody is doing a triathlon in just a speed.

I do apologize my testing standards with a suit I was able to borrow for three days was not up to your standards.

Quote | Reply
Here is the first of many tests I did, should answer some of your questions;

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...orque_2012_3183.html

And swimming a week apart can skew your tests by a lot. Although you found the right direction, your distance was off by a bit..
Quote Reply