Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming with stitches
Quote | Reply
I know it's frowned upon and you take a risk of being infected, but help me out if you can...

Liquid bandages? Really good waterproof bandaids, anything else? The area to cover is the size of a half dollar or so, possibly smaller. Thanks for any info!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming with stitches [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
I know it's frowned upon and you take a risk of being infected, but help me out if you can...

Liquid bandages? Really good waterproof bandaids, anything else? The area to cover is the size of a half dollar or so, possibly smaller. Thanks for any info!

It is impossible to waterproof. Just won't happen.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask the surgeon. Pretty sure they'll say hell no you must not swim. But ask them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:

I've never swum with stitches. Why risk infection?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do not do it!

colinlaughery wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was out of the pool for 3 weeks and its been 4 weeks since I got my stitches out and just now feeling like I'm getting back to swim fitness. It sucked and I was looking for all types of options like you are but ended up following doctor's orders. It's behind me now like it will be for you in a couple of weeks. Find something else to occupy your time (I worked on projects around the house that I had been neglecting).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had stitches dozens of times and swam through many of them. Usually wait at least 2-3 days before any swimming. If doc says I can shower, I usually swim.
Clean very well. YMMV
Generally, a week is recommended out of water; and that doesn't negatively affect us much.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming with stitches [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
I've had stitches dozens of times and swam through many of them. Usually wait at least 2-3 days before any swimming. If doc says I can shower, I usually swim.
Clean very well. YMMV
Generally, a week is recommended out of water; and that doesn't negatively affect us much.

Same here. If it's not bleeding then I swim. Shower and clean and smear a little triple antibiotic on For good measure. Never had a problem.
Last edited by: NealH: May 27, 17 5:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a clear tape, Optiflex, applied directly over the top of my stitches after surgery last year. Despite the tape, and even after the stitches came out I was advised to stay out of the water until the wound was virtually scab-free, because the water makes the edges of the skin swell and makes it difficult to maintain a tight join. Slows down the healing, increases the chance of infection, makes for a more visible scar.

I stayed out of the water - healed well and the world didn't end. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, Colin.

Sorry to hear about the injury. I did Mont Tremblant less than a week after getting nine stitches in my finger. I didn't swim in that time leading up to the race, but then put on a ton of ointment and then wrapped the finger in waterproof tape. No problems for me. But I am not sure you can necessarily "wrap up" your stitches like I could with a finger.

Also that 5-6 days before when I stayed out of the water probably made the most difference. Heal up, amigo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
Clean very well. YMMV

DOZENS of times??? Were these all due to bike crashes or other???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had stitches twice, on my head. I was told 5 days out of water. So I waited almost exactly 120 hours. Used a cap and put a waterproof bandage over it, if nothing else just to say I tried.

No problems, but I did still take the 5 days..better safe than sorry. Go run or ride your bike.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming with stitches [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Rumpled wrote:
Clean very well. YMMV

More than a handful of surgeries, many times getting banged up as a kid and adult, and almost two dozen skin biopsies. Only a couple from bike crashes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Rumpled wrote:
Clean very well. YMMV

More than a handful of surgeries, many times getting banged up as a kid and adult, and almost two dozen skin biopsies. Only a couple from bike crashes.

Ah, I see; was going to say that, if I'd had dozens of crashes requiring stitches, I think I'd just hang up the old cleats and helmet. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After reading this. I would say two weeks especially if you plan on doing any ocean swims.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...ming-new-tattoo.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timely thread. I hit the deck last Saturday, leading with my chin. Got it super glued back together, along with the requisite road rash all over. Ok to swim in this case? I have been hesitant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd wait until it's the skin has healed. In the past yrs ago didn't think about it that much but seems in the world today to be more & more cases of bad bugs getting into the body via seemingly unsignificant wounds. Antiboitics not working as well. Several yrs ago I had a very small deep cut near my elbow that even Dr didn't think much of. But several days later developed cellitis a system blood infection & spent yrs plus getting back full function. I also heard of a guy in NE who ended up getting the Flesh eating bugs & lost his arm.
Quote Reply