Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Swimming with Band only: my favorite drill
Quote | Reply
It s my training partner, Tom Evans (4x ironman winner) that initiated me to the Band only swimming drill in 2004. He loved doing those and as we trained together...i had to get with the program! As i got back to my regular squad swims, my coach Joel Filliol decided to try a little experiment where i would swim with band only anytimes there is a pull set. So what ever the others do pulling..i would do with a band only. i believe the experiment lasted 6 months or so.

The interesting thing is, swimming with a band might sound hard...but it s highly technical and when you finally understand how to keep your body high on the water, it become rather easy to do so. I progressed to hold 1:20-25s/100m on longer sets of 400s and could swim 1500-2000m of it in practice with very little issue. Transferring those skill to my normal freestyle made a amazing difference in pace...it was definitely a precious tool for me as a athlete

Now standing on the pool deck as a coach, i have to say it s one of my favorite drill to use to teach triathlete to swim ''on top'' of the water, to kept a high turnover and be aware of any slippage in their catch.

I suggest you start with 50s at first as until you master the technical part... it can be a grueling effort. But remember... if you can apply those concept...the results can be spectacular for your every day swimming.

hope this video can help some of you! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg-GB2_lPyI

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming with Band only: my favorite drill [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YES!

Band is awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
haha it is the Enforcer. Love it but have a long way to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am totally the first guy with a band. When I swim normal freestyle my body position seems great though. Is there still benefit? Band swimming seems odd for me, it is an advanced drill designed to help with something very basic...

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being able to adapt to a band and then translate it to regular swimming is completely dependent on the physiology of the athlete. I started using them in 1985. I restarted using them 6 months ago. They are a great tool. But take a stick, hold your hands 3 feet apart. Can you bring the stick over your head without bending your arms? If not then you may want to grab a kick board, not a band.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you swim with band only, where do you where it? The pool I train at is coed, and I'm not sure how they'd feel if I didn't have my trunks on. I do want to get faster though.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming with Band only: my favorite drill [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i would say body position is at the base of swimming but not a basic concept. even advance swimmers can use it.

might not be for everyone.... But it s a drill of choice for my swimmers ;)

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another lover of the band ! I just wish more people had the faith to work through the first few hell-ish swims to glean the benefits.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Swimming with Band only: my favorite drill [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
try to kick drill first to really get your butt/back and legs up high. it s a technical issue and yes, much easier said than done. But the day you figure out how to apply the pressure, it does make a world of a difference!

also, keep the set short... perhaps some 25s repeat to start with 10-20 sec rest and build to 50s repeat as you get better at it.

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming with Band only: my favorite drill [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
But take a stick, hold your hands 3 feet apart. Can you bring the stick over your head without bending your arms? If not then you may want to grab a kick board, not a band.

Maybe I speak for others when I say that I'm not quite tracking.

You seem to be describing a shoulder abduction/flexion test and if I fail it I should kick more. Is the time with the kickboard supposed to help shoulder flexibility? I think I could see that but it seems like the long way around, so I guess I am missing something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
I bought one

They actually sell bands?!?! Old faithful is an old cut up and tied tube.

Rusch Racing | website | @maggieru | Instagram
Ask me about: Alto Cycling | Cuore | Base Performance | XTERRA Wetsuits | Cadence Run Company | First Bourn. Coached by: Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Re: Swimming with Band only: my favorite drill [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Maybe I speak for others when I say that I'm not quite tracking.

You seem to be describing a shoulder abduction/flexion test and if I fail it I should kick more. Is the time with the kickboard supposed to help shoulder flexibility? I think I could see that but it seems like the long way around, so I guess I am missing something.

Thanks - I was thinking the same thing and would love an explanation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonnyo, would you suggest using paddles with this drill or no?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
I bought one and tried it a few times. I can't get my legs off the bottom of the pool. Your video is great, but easier said than done. I will keep trying and see if I can make it a few yards without sinking. Since body position and balance are clearly my number one problem, I should keep working with the band.

It improves quickly. Start with a buoy+band, then once that's easy with NO kicking, go to band.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Being able to adapt to a band and then translate it to regular swimming is completely dependent on the physiology of the athlete. I started using them in 1985. I restarted using them 6 months ago. They are a great tool. But take a stick, hold your hands 3 feet apart. Can you bring the stick over your head without bending your arms? If not then you may want to grab a kick board, not a band.

AJ - Can you elaborate a bit??? This sounds like a Zen koan as it is written...ah-so, my little buttercup, unless you can bring the stick over your head w/o bending your arms, you must use the kick board not the band.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming with Band only: my favorite drill [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to venture a guess about what AJ is saying... If you have crappy shoulder flexibility, you can't get your arm straight out in front of you on entry, without that you are going to have a hard time getting good body position without a kick to keep your legs up. If you can't hold your arm out straight, your hand is going to be a foot under water as you stretch and get ready for the catch. All this time you are getting some major drag from it, so to compensate, you start your catch and pull early. This can work if you have a kick that allows you to maintain proper position by raising to your legs. If you put a band on someone like this, their legs just sink like crazy, so the only thing they can do it increase their turnover even further to now drag their legs behind them, hopefully a bit higher. So this person isn't learning proper body position, they are learning to turnover like crazy to keep their legs off the bottom rather than actual proper body position.

At least that is my guess.
Last edited by: steelerguy: Apr 8, 14 18:37
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming with Band only: my favorite drill [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are physical markers necessary to be successful with the windup doll approach. Not everyone has them. JohnnieOs shoulder and lower back flexibility is off the charts. Of course he excels with the band.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could never swim with a band. I might try it again, but I expect I'll have the same result.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming with Band only: my favorite drill [steelerguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steelerguy wrote:
I'm going to venture a guess about what AJ is saying... If you have crappy shoulder flexibility, you can't get your arm straight out in front of you on entry, without that you are going to have a hard time getting good body position without a kick to keep your legs up. If you can't hold your arm out straight, your hand is going to be a foot under water as you stretch and get ready for the catch. All this time you are getting some major drag from it, so to compensate, you start your catch and pull early. This can work if you have a kick that allows you to maintain proper position by raising to your legs. If you put a band on someone like this, their legs just sink like crazy, so the only thing they can do it increase their turnover even further to now drag their legs behind them, hopefully a bit higher. So this person isn't learning proper body position, they are learning to turnover like crazy to keep their legs off the bottom rather than actual proper body position. At least that is my guess.

Hmmm, well, that sounds like a reasonable interpretation. I have good shoulder flex as it is very easy for me to do the "straight-arm stick test" with anywhere from a 1 foot ruler to a 4-ft long stick. Of course, this is prob b/c I've been swimming since age 5. OTOH, despite huge amounts of work on my kick over the years, my kick is still not very fast relative to my swimming speed, so I'm a light 4 to 6 beat kicker on freestyle and backstroke. On fly and breast, I kick as hard as possible just to get a good rhythm on these strokes, but breast is the only stroke where my kick makes big contribution, but I think this is true for almost everyone, just due to the nature of breaststroke. Anyway, thanks for the koan interpretation:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming with Band only: my favorite drill [steelerguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly and really better than I could have examined it.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming with Band only: my favorite drill [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what would happen if you put a band on? are you saying you rely a lot on your kick?

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My legs sink with a band, if I'm strict about not kicking. Eventually my toes are close to dragging on the bottom. That's with pushing my head down. It's really just how my body is built, I have a lot of buoyancy in my chest area and none in my legs, relatively speaking. Overall I'm a sinker. That said, the last time I swam with a band was almost 10 years ago, so I might revisit it to see if I can do it.

It isn't something I've ever really worried about. My legs stay up fine with not much of a kick, just a little flick, and I'm not a distance swimmer either. Also, I have a kick dominated stroke anyway, I'm at least 5 secs per 100 slower on pull sets, probably more like 8 secs pet 100, so it's not like I will ever race without kicking.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 8, 14 22:11
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming with Band only: my favorite drill [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep, i would see you as a typical kick dominant swimmer where kicking is a intergral and important part of your swimming.

I m at the opposite of the spectrum where kick isn't worth much for me. i developed into a pull swimmer. I can swim at race pace with a pull boey no problem. That said, i m exactly like you and my legs definitely sinking a lot with band only. The biggest factor is pressing down and hard with the chest...and having the core engage so everything else comes up!

not that it would make much of a difference for you in your swimming but it s a fun challenge to see if you can manage to get those legs up.... fun game in the pool!

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I first started masters, my coach told me to look straight down at the bottom of the pool. This was to keep my hips/legs up. After several months, he told me to "Press the buoy" by relaxing my neck and pressing down with my chest instead. This has been extremely helpful to me. Is there a cue that I could work on with just a band. Right now I'm using a band with a buoy.
Quote Reply

Prev Next