Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming in The Villages, Florida
Quote | Reply
I'm going to be visiting my relatives in The Villages in January and I'm trying to find pools that I'm able to visit as a non-resident. Does anyone happen to know of any in the area that are open to non-residents for lap swimming? A 50m pool would be a lovely treat coming from tiny, cramped NYC!
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming in The Villages, Florida [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly, as a non-member you're limited to the 'family' pools.
There was a young lady that visited friends there a couple of years ago, in training with hopes of making the Olympics.
She HAD to train. They would not bend their rules for her, either.
If not a member, you are NOT allowed access to the Olympic sized pools. Period.

I think she ended up driving to a place in Leesburg (not sure where, sorry), and went to Clermont during that week as well.

Cycling where the avg. age is 66 is sketchy at best as well.

I always just take the running shoes. Just watch for golf carts.

----------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
I'm going to be visiting my relatives in The Villages in January and I'm trying to find pools that I'm able to visit as a non-resident. Does anyone happen to know of any in the area that are open to non-residents for lap swimming? A 50m pool would be a lovely treat coming from tiny, cramped NYC!

National training center in Clermont has an awesome facility. I think it's about 45 min away from the Villages. You can buy a day or week pass as a non resident. There is also a really nice bike path nearby.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:

x2 on NTC. 50m is likely but never guaranteed, often setup short-course Mon-Thur.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh well, not looking to drive an hour to squeeze in a swim, but the facility looks beautiful. I have limited time to spend with my grandparents, so I'll stick to running for the weekend. Thanks all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My dad lives in the Villages and I head down there a couple times a year. The first few times I'd sneak into the pools that are less likely to be used. Aka the pools that are in the rec centers associated with newer villages and not surrounded by a significant amount of housing. I'd get some people looking at me, clearly not 55 and older, once was kicked out before I started, once kicked out nearing the end of a swim. Who cares... They are grouchy old people that have nothing better to do. Unless there's a program going on there's usually more than enough room to swim, especially in the colder months. Also, most of the time there's not an actual person from the rec center around anyway, and no other Villagers will say shit (at least they haven't yet). Secondly, if the weather is cold (i.e. 65 or below) almost no one uses the pools and as such less chance of someone being there to check on who is swimming.

After enough bitching I made the old man talk to the head of one of the rec centers. With some explanation I was told if I notify them before arriving and "have a letter from my coach indicating what event I am training for" (e.g. IM Placid, etc), they will identify a period of time during which I can use a lane at said rec center pool. I did this last time I headed down and had no problem. In fact it was a shitty day out (50 and windy) and apparently had bets going if I'd show up. Only mentioning so you know what you're dealing with.

Separately, be careful if you bike there. I've done 95 or so miles in the Villages before. I haven't ventured too far outside the Villages only because I've found that most of the roads have no shoulder and I don't want to get hit. Biking what I call "the loop" can work, just keep your head up at the traffic circles.

Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, and check the paper for the rec center schedules. And don't go to Eisenhower. There are certain rec centers where you have zero hope - there's always someone watching and the people that run it are a-holes, and Eisenhower is one of them.
Quote Reply