Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Swimming Yards and Meters
Quote | Reply
My neighborhood outdoor pool just closed the early morning summer swim hours so now I'm back to my indoor rec center pool. The outdoor pool is 25M and the indoor pool is 25Y. Does anyone else get kind of jacked up switching between the two when you try to swim on the clock. I know the conversions and all of that. Not a big deal? It just kind of messes with my sense of timing when I'm swimming..."where is the wall?" when I go to 25M haha.

I sure feel a lot faster on the 25Y, even though I'm not. I haven't' logged zillions of miles in the pool so I image I'll just get used to it over time.

By the way, swimming outside >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>swimming inside. (said Captain Obvious)
Last edited by: Jason80134: Aug 26, 15 10:05
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Yards and Meters [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to swim in a pool that had a movable wall that they would move between 25yd and meters depending on how much room was needed in the "fun time" side of the pool. The lifeguards wouldn't tell us where it was set, and instead waited to see which swimmer would figure it out first. I could tell when it went from meters to yards because I'd smack the wall expecting two more strokes before turning.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Yards and Meters [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! I just did that at my first day back in the 25Y. I wasn't really paying attention on a set, started a flip turn and then I realized I was about an inch from the wall and stopped mid-flip so I didn't smack my legs over the edge onto the deck. That must have looked awkward. I was laughing at myself while swimming back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the winter, my very rare swims are in a 25y pool. In the summer, it's an outdoor 25m pool. I know I've gotten the groove back when I can match my yard times in the meters pool, if that makes sense. I only swim once every two weeks or so in the winter--just enough so I don't forget how to do it--and 3-4x week outside from April to October.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
My neighborhood outdoor pool just closed the early morning summer swim hours so now I'm back to my indoor rec center pool. The outdoor pool is 25M and the indoor pool is 25Y. Does anyone else get kind of jacked up switching between the two when you try to swim on the clock. I know the conversions and all of that. Not a big deal? It just kind of messes with my sense of timing when I'm swimming..."where is the wall?" when I go to 25M haha.
I sure feel a lot faster on the 25M, even though I'm not. I haven't' logged zillions of miles in the pool so I image I'll just get used to it over time.
By the way, swimming outside >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>swimming inside. (said Captain Obvious)

I switch back and forth between 25 yd and 25 m every week or two so i'm very used to it. You said you feel faster in meters??? I'm just the opposite, i feel faster in yards, prob b/c the indoor 25-yd pool has a very nice, turbulence-reducing gutter system whereas in the outdoor 25-m pool the water just bounces off the walls. I can definitely feel the diff and it def seems like i can swim faster as a result. Also, since around 85% of my lifetime swim yardage is in the 25-yd pool, all my best times are in yards and so i have an exact reference point for any given distance. That said, gotta agree that swimming outside, espec on a nice sunny day, trumps swimming inside. Plus, people can talk all they want about gorgeous scenery during a bike ride in the mountains, but i'll take the views of "twin peaks" at the outdoor pool in the summer any day:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Yards and Meters [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Jason80134 wrote:
I sure feel a lot faster on the 25M, even though I'm not. I haven't' logged zillions of miles in the pool so I image I'll just get used to it over time.

I switch back and forth between 25 yd and 25 m every week or two so i'm very used to it. You said you feel faster in meters??? I'm just the opposite, i feel faster in yards, prob b/c the indoor 25-yd pool has a very nice, turbulence-reducing gutter system whereas in the outdoor 25-m pool the water just bounces off the walls. I can definitely feel the diff and it def seems like i can swim faster as a result. Also, since around 85% of my lifetime swim yardage is in the 25-yd pool, all my best times are in yards and so i have an exact reference point for any given distance. That said, gotta agree that swimming outside, espec on a nice sunny day, trumps swimming inside. Plus, people can talk all they want about gorgeous scenery during a bike ride in the mountains, but i'll take the views of "twin peaks" at the outdoor pool in the summer any day:)

I meant to say I feel faster in the 25Y, because it's shorter. I just corrected that in the OP. Sorry.

Yes, my situation with the gutters is the same indoor vs. outdoor. Outdoors I feel like i'm bouncing all over the place compared to indoor, which has the gutters. They really work. It's probably not as much as I think it is but i can definitely tell the difference.

Twin Peaks...ha!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In college, we trained in a 1960's era SCY pool, even though all of the meets in Ontario are in SCM. A couple of years we made the trek across the border to swim in a US college invitational, which was SCY, of course. So we usually raced in a different length pool than we trained. It often messed up some of the rookies for the first couple of meets, but we got used to it.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I swam primarily yards, I always noticed the difference jumping to SCM. Since I've swam primarily SCM I don't really notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Jason80134 wrote:

I meant to say I feel faster in the 25Y, because it's shorter. I just corrected that in the OP. Sorry.
Yes, my situation with the gutters is the same indoor vs. outdoor. Outdoors I feel like i'm bouncing all over the place compared to indoor, which has the gutters. They really work. It's probably not as much as I think it is but i can definitely tell the difference.
Twin Peaks...ha!

Well, i think the fact that you have actually noticed the lesser turbulence in your indoor pool is a sign of your becoming a real swimmer, as i get a blank stare from most fitness swimmers when i mention the gutter system. However, the sun and the better ventilation of the outdoor pool, not to mention "the peaks", make the OD pool the pool of choice whenever it is open:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first time I ever swam a 400 IM was in a meter pool, as opposed to several years in yards. And I thought cruel and unusual punishment was illegal in this country.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Yards and Meters [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
The first time I ever swam a 400 IM was in a meter pool, as opposed to several years in yards. And I thought cruel and unusual punishment was illegal in this country.

At least your first 4IM wasn't LCM :-(

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The pool where my masters group swims is 100M x 25yd. We swim SCY on M-W-F and LCM on T-Th.

Swimming LCM feels like you're never going to get there, especially when you're doing drills like one-arm butterfly.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Yards and Meters [Redcorvette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pool where my masters group swims is 100M x 25yd. We swim SCY on M-W-F and LCM on T-Th.

Wow, that's long. 50 meters?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No difference here. Equally slow in both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First indoor swim yesterday. I don't feel faster in the dark, gloomy indoor pool even though it's shorter. I just feel sad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scm are one thing, lcm meters are an entirely different style of confusion.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me it's one stroke cycle more (1 right, 1 left) going from 25 yd to meters. It feels sorta the same I guess. I just adjust my intervals by about 10 sec/100 from yds (should probably be more like 7-8 sec/100 but 10 is a good round number to work with).
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Yards and Meters [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too! I'm about to switch back from the outdoor 25M pool to the indoor 25Y pool for Masters. It will be interesting to see the difference since it will be my first time switching back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cynthia
Blog: http://yousignedupforwhat.com/ Twitter: http://twitter.com/yousignedup FB: http://www.facebook.com/yousignedupforwhat IG: http://instagram.com/yousignedupforwhat
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Yards and Meters [MikenUltra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikenUltra wrote:
For me it's one stroke cycle more (1 right, 1 left) going from 25 yd to meters. It feels sorta the same I guess. I just adjust my intervals by about 10 sec/100 from yds (should probably be more like 7-8 sec/100 but 10 is a good round number to work with).

Ya, i do exactly same: 2 more strokes/length and add 10 sec to my interval leave times. Doing intervals on 1:28 rather than 1:30 is just too hard to keep up with:)

Last edited by: ericmulk: Aug 27, 15 9:18
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Yards and Meters [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:
First indoor swim yesterday. I don't feel faster in the dark, gloomy indoor pool even though it's shorter. I just feel sad.

it IS sad

swimming outside in the warm morning sun
trees slightly swaying in the light breeze
only sounds are birds chirping and the quite splashes of lap swimmers
ZEN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
Rambler wrote:

it IS sad

swimming outside in the warm morning sun
trees slightly swaying in the light breeze
only sounds are birds chirping and the quite splashes of lap swimmers
ZEN

I don't mean to seem to be gloating but rather just conveying info: about 5 yrs ago, my fitness center, just on its own initiative, decided to start heating our outdoor pool such that it is now open typically from 1 April through 30 Nov each year, so that we can swim outside about 8 months/yr. I think their motivation was that our indoor pool was simply getting too crowded as they increased the membership, so expanding the months of the outdoor pool operation was easier than building a third pool. In any case, it is pretty nice, albeit pretty chilly getting in and out in April/May and Oct/Nov b/c we have to walk ("no running") out to the pool and then back when wet, but it is still great to be able to swim outside 8 months per year. AFAIK, our outdoor pool here in eastern TN is the only pool in the southeastern U.S. north of FL and south TX that has this type of arrangement. I know you are jealous:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hahaha, know how you feel. Used to swim in a pool that was 33m during work at lunch versus the normal 25m. Did not even try to do any conversions just went off rest times.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Yards and Meters [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:

When I travel I find my desire to endure indoor swimming is really low, so much so that I'd probably take up a different sport or activity if I lived up north. Probably go back to hunting a lot more in the winter and then swim outdoors when it was available. Indoors anything is not my thing. This is why my swimming has such huge swings now. When I travel I just have zero desire to get into a stink room of chlorine with no outdoors so I will do an improvised dry land routine instead:/ Weather spoiled pussy here.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Aug 27, 15 9:57
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Yards and Meters [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

Wow, that's long. 50 meters?

Brain freeze. 50M x 25 yd. I guess it just seems that long sometimes. ;)

Sorry,

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Yards and Meters [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always see instragram photos of the pros swimming outside up in Boulder in the snow
anyone do this?

Quote Reply

Prev Next