Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming Training Equipment - wish list
Quote | Reply
Hello everybody,

I have been given up to a $400 budget for swim training equipment for the coming year for the team I coach. I want to be able to use the equipment with swimmers from ages 9 to adults...anybody have any good ideas?

Here's my short list:

1) 3-4 tempo trainers (I have 8 already...and some swimmers are buying their own)

2) stretch cords (long for speed assist, short for stationary work)

3) centermount snorkels (although there's about 25-30 coming used and cleaned from the Stanford Swim Camp)

4) Aquapacer system...although it's out of production. Anybody out there have a line on one that's not being used? I would personally expand the budget out of my pocket for this...

Any other age group/masters/triathlon coaches out there with low and/or high-tech equipment that they've found useful? Former age group swimmers...what do your coaches use?

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Training Equipment - wish list [Cafe Lactate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been a swimmer all my life but...

What is a tempe trainer?

What is the aquapacer thing a ma jig?

Through out my swimming career we only ever used kick boards, pull buoys and paddles with one analog pace clock. I would make sure that everyone has this stuff before worrying about anything else.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Training Equipment - wish list [Yarf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tempo trainer = small, waterproof metronome; http://www.tempotrainer.com/

aquapacer = programmable tempo trainer (extremely versatile); http://www.swimtpi.com/aquapacer.htm

Already have kickboards, pull-buoys, and paddles...and my team doesn't really use the last two items anyways. 1 large pace clock as well...actually, 2.

Thanks.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My coaches always went fairly low tech in the water in order to save as much of the equipment budget as possible for the geriatric (and breakdown-prone) Colorado timing system.

Instead of gizmos, I'd go for a cheap camcorder and tv set so you can videotape your swimmers and slowcase their stroke flaws in blazing technicolor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was coaching a USS team we always seemed to need just one more small pace clock.

A math tutor for the little kids so they can learn when to go on proper intervals. "I said every 55 secs not every 65 or 75 or 45. Lets start at the top and go at the 55 then 50 45 etc. "

Water polo ball, nothing like a small, friendly game of water polo in the deep end for 20 min. No touching of the walls or bottom allowed. Especially after a 5k workout!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Training Equipment - wish list [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks desert dude and FLA Jill for your feedback...

We actually have a Colorado Timing System our team uses and the LSC owns another set. They are in pretty good shape, and our head coach is the man when it comes to troubleshooting and dialing in the system. We just ran a 800+ swimmer meet a week ago, and there were only very minor problems.

I have 5-6 water polo balls already, as well as a digital video camera...looking for a way to hook it up a laptop and display it real time, and then take it home and analyze both training and race performances. So I'm pretty well covered there.

I like the "math tutor" idea...maybe I can come up with a paceclock that doesn't have numbers....I know when I was growing up that's how I learned to do fractions...at swim practice.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when I get set in phx I might have to stop over for some water polo.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply