Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming Strength Training
Quote | Reply
Hello friends,

I'm increasing my swim training load this month to make gains for my A races in early August; I'm increasing the volume from ~15,000 to hopefully 20-25,000yds with more quality work as well. I am wondering; could strength/weight training sessions for my upper body (besides core work) help my swim progress in any way (injury prevention, power development, etc.), or is it not beneficial/necessary? I've noticed that many pros routinely perform strength training sessions, but I have avoided it in the past because I find that it can sometimes decrease the quality of my hard sessions. I plan to swim as much as I have energy/motivation for, so I couldn't necessarily exchange the time spent strength training for extra swimming, it would simply be an additional session (and I have plenty of time for it). I'm 23 y.o. and mid-20min for 1500m.

Let me know what you think! You advice is appreciated and I realize this could be a highly debatable topic. I did a short search for similar threads and didn't find any, but if you link one here as a response that could be helpful. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Strength Training [Louie Cayedito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took on dry land training 2-3x a week a few years ago, but all I do is swim so no worries about other sports/time. I definitely feel it's allowed me to hold off injuries and be able to sustain some decent yardage and intensity w/o any issues. Make me faster? I guess it's all how you look at it. For a guy who was always battling little tweaks and injuries in the shoulder complex/scaps yea those things kept me from swimming hard. Now that I don't have any issues it's just about recovering from the prior days workout. So, not being injured lets me train more. From a pure strength standpoint my ability to hold a great body position indefinitely is due to a lot of dry land stuff plus being able to swim more. chicken or egg? All I k now is I tried it w/o dry land and never got out of my rut. Once I shored up some imbalances in my upper back/scapular stabilization everything came into focus. YMMV. No I don't have any double blind studies. Be careful though you are bound to put on a little muscle and a few pounds.....I know that scares triathletes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not in the same league as you are in the pool. For my first tri this year I did zero swim training in the water. Not smart I know. The swim was 1/2 mile and all I did to prepare was strength training. Lots of core work. My swim time at that race did not break any records but I did swim it from start to finish and felt comfortable doing so. My training partner who had also skipped any swim training but had not done any strength training did considerably worse on race day, having to backstroke some and at one point hang onto a kayak.

I don't know if that helps or if it proves anything one way or another but I'm a believer and will continue to strength train.

The best pace is a suicide pace, and today is a good day to die. -Steve Prefontaine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you swim slower than a 12 year old girl I would say no you don't need strength training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Louie Cayedito wrote:
I'm 23 y.o. and mid-20min for 1500m.

Not that it really matters, but when you say mid-20min, does that mean 20:30 or 25?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Strength Training [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
20:30. I have the speed for just under 20 in a wetsuit, but its hard to execute in the race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you're a 20 min 1500 swimmer, you have plenty of strength. I probably wouldn't bother.

What's your 100m sprint time?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Strength Training [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably like 1:14. Thanks for the advice!
Last edited by: Louie Cayedito: Jul 2, 15 12:48
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Strength Training [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Since you swim slower than a 12 year old girl I would say no you don't need strength training.

Hey I bet he can run faster than a 12 year girl
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Strength Training [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Louie Cayedito wrote:
Probably like 1:14. Thanks for the advice!

really?

Maybe I was wrong....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, you should do some strength and conditioning work. A solid 9 week, periodized progression that focused on "dynamic" movements would help with injury prevention, strength/power development and stroke coordination. It would be more important than getting in those extra yards.

Best regards,

Tim Floyd

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Strength Training [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I probably couldn't :p
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Strength Training [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnappingT wrote:
Yes, you should do some strength and conditioning work. A solid 9 week, periodized progression that focused on "dynamic" movements would help with injury prevention, strength/power development and stroke coordination. It would be more important than getting in those extra yards.

Best regards,

Tim Floyd
SnappingT do you have any links to the type of program you are talking about?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd do rotator cuff strengthening exercises, but not necessarily strength training. The rotator cuff stuff helps keep you from not getting hurt.

If you do choose to lift, just do pull ups.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply