Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Swimming - breathing issue
Quote | Reply
I've had this breathing issue for a few years now and never been able to figure out what causes it. I first got it in my 10th triathlon, the first time I wore a wetsuit (which was too tight). I have a bit of a swim background and have surfed, swam in the ocean (OWS etc) most of my life, so am reasonably strong and comfortable in the ocean, in this race I took off fast, but within 1 minute or so I could barely breathe, slowed down, but still could not breathe, breaststroke didn't help much and I started to panic, treading water for 2 minutes I eventually caught my breath, managed to plod slowly around the rest of the 1500m course. That was in 2014, I've had this problem 4 or 5 times since and can't figure out a trend. Initially I thought it was the wetsuit, but I've had it in a trisuit too, it's not panic as I feel fine in the ocean, don't mind the mass starts and kind of enjoy the mayhem as you go round a buoy. It normally happens around 200m into the swim, if I start slowly, I can feel it come on slightly, but not so it adversely affects me, the feeling (tightness in the chest and slightly struggling for breath) passes after a minute or two, then I can accelerate and that feeling never returns no matter how hard I swim. But this often means I've lost sight of the front pack, I'm normally top 5 in the smaller races with 100 or less in my AG, but the bigger races 200+ I'm barely scraping into the top 20 when really I should be right up there. I can't start racing until the 300m mark in a 70.3.. really frustrating. And because of this breathing issue I'm having to start away from the main pack, until it's sorted, then I merge and try and find some fast feet (usually too late) as you can see in this photo. I'm on the far right in the sleeveless. My only theory is that perhaps at the start of the race, I'm not relaxed and not breathing right i.e not breathing deeply and not breathing out underwater, so I'm not getting enough air? But not sure..

Last edited by: zedzded: Apr 24, 17 18:09
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming - breathing issue [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't mention how old you are, but the first suggestion I have is to spend more time warming up than you are currently. Preferably in the water, but if not, at least some push ups and running to get blood flowing would likely help the situation.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exercise induced asthma? I suffer from it in certain conditions (mainly cold air with high exertion) but I don't race in those conditions so I've never bothered to get it diagnosed.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe Afib.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to have this a lot too! What you are feeling is basically a panic attack. The body is trying to protect itself from the cold and at the same time, you are going out hard. It's like two different things competing for oxygen and you're not getting enough.

Two things helped me get over that -
Warming by actually swimming for a solid 10+ minutes when possible. If it's super cold, that will likely be 2-3 minutes of getting acclimated to the cold and then 10-15 minutes of actual swimming (when possible, some courses don't allow it - and on those, I just try to get in the water as soon as I can).

Another thing I found helpful is starting outside of "the pack" if it's an age-group start. Just moving over to the outer edge will let you avoid the crazy rush of the start (which jacks up your heart rate) and then you can build up quickly while everyone else is having the same issue you described.

Oh! Also, make sure to breathe often! I used to try holding my breath a bit and that was very counter productive, haha!

Hope that helps!
david.
Last edited by: daswafford: Apr 24, 17 22:55
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming - breathing issue [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daswafford wrote:
I used to have this a lot too!

For me, it was the shock of crazy cold combined with going out too hard without being properly warmed up. Things that helped solve the issue are warming by actually swimming for a solid 10+ minutes when possible. If it's super cold, that will likely be 2-3 minutes of getting acclimated to the cold and then 10-15 minutes of actual swimming back/forth. If you can't warm-up ahead like that, make sure to keep moving and at least stand in the water as soon as you can to get used to it.

Another thing I found helpful is starting outside of "the pack". If it's an AG start, I know I won't be front-of-the pack and realistically I'm like top 40% or so on the swim - so I'll start out the outside edge and let the mad rush go, build up, and then get into race pace after 2-300 yards (on a 70.3, it it's Oly, I'd go harder sooner but still keep the first bit easier).

Hope that helps!
david.

Will try a longer warmup, cheers. Water is usually 17 - 22 C.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm... 22C is quite warm. That might be more from trying to start and keep up with the crazy rush at first. (16C or so it where I usually had trouble).

I'd definitely try starting slower (avoiding the initial rush) and building up. This is where the warm-up really helps though - because you don't want to start too slow either.

Do you breath on every stroke/cycle right now? If not, give that a try. I found that to be a very helpful change on both the pool and open-water (moved from "every 3rd").
Last edited by: daswafford: Apr 24, 17 23:05
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming - breathing issue [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daswafford wrote:
Hmm... 22C is quite warm. That might be more from trying to start and keep up with the crazy rush at first. (16C or so it where I usually had trouble).

I'd definitely try starting slower (avoiding the initial rush) and building up. This is where the warm-up really helps though - because you don't want to start too slow either.

Do you breath on every stroke/cycle right now? If not, give that a try. I found that to be a very helpful change on both the pool and open-water (moved from "every 3rd").

Yeah I race breathing every 2. I do start off slow which fixes the problem, but then I drop off the lead pack, I'm coming in 26 - 28mins they're coming in 24 - 25. I should be able to keep up with them, by jumping on their toes early on, but this breathing issue prevents that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
I've had this breathing issue for a few years now and never been able to figure out what causes it. I first got it in my 10th triathlon, the first time I wore a wetsuit (which was too tight). I have a bit of a swim background and have surfed, swam in the ocean (OWS etc) most of my life, so am reasonably strong and comfortable in the ocean, in this race I took off fast, but within 1 minute or so I could barely breathe, slowed down, but still could not breathe, breaststroke didn't help much and I started to panic, treading water for 2 minutes I eventually caught my breath, managed to plod slowly around the rest of the 1500m course. That was in 2014, I've had this problem 4 or 5 times since and can't figure out a trend. Initially I thought it was the wetsuit, but I've had it in a trisuit too, it's not panic as I feel fine in the ocean, don't mind the mass starts and kind of enjoy the mayhem as you go round a buoy. It normally happens around 200m into the swim, if I start slowly, I can feel it come on slightly, but not so it adversely affects me, the feeling (tightness in the chest and slightly struggling for breath) passes after a minute or two, then I can accelerate and that feeling never returns no matter how hard I swim. But this often means I've lost sight of the front pack, I'm normally top 5 in the smaller races with 100 or less in my AG, but the bigger races 200+ I'm barely scraping into the top 20 when really I should be right up there. I can't start racing until the 300m mark in a 70.3.. really frustrating. And because of this breathing issue I'm having to start away from the main pack, until it's sorted, then I merge and try and find some fast feet (usually too late) as you can see in this photo. I'm on the far right in the sleeveless. My only theory is that perhaps at the start of the race, I'm not relaxed and not breathing right i.e not breathing deeply and not breathing out underwater, so I'm not getting enough air? But not sure..

I used to have the exact same issue. Early on in my tri days, I did a race here in Melbourne, and after 200m, was on my back, gasping for air, being asked if I wanted to be pulled out of the race. I gradually recovered, and swam well after that. Context - not long after that, I was going sub 28 for 50m free & sub 5 for 400.

The issue? No warm up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adding to the things other folks have said it is possible that with the excitement of starting the race you are not exhaling very well at the start. Sometimes when we get excited we don't do things we normally do habitually. One thing you could try is consciously trying to breath out when you head is under in the first few hundred metres. I have had this problem a few times in the first 100m or so of a race.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is not that uncommon even with experienced swimmers (myself included). The key as others have said is warming up with more conviction. Hard for the body to adapt to massive effort on its first try. Think about weight lifters.. it is typically their 3rd effort that this the best, so they will be lifting heavy weight behind the scenes before they go on stage.
Warm up a bit more and yes, not allowing a swim warmup is something that ALL rds should reconsider when they plan their races. It has just baffled me for years why we harp on the dangers of swimming in triathlon, but expect this group of athletes to just take off at 110% in a race without allowing them in beforehand. Good Luck.
daved
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm watching this thread because I ran into the exact same thing last year in my first two HIM races. The first HIM did not allow warm up, and it was my first open water swim, and the first time wearing the wetsuit in anything other than a pool. And, the water had psycho chop. So, the breathing freakout was not totally without cause. My second HIM I did decent warm up and felt great. But, at "go," my body freaked out and I could not breath for the first few hundred yards. Both were wetsuit races.

Then, I did a non-wetsuit sprint a few weeks after the 2nd HIM (mostly to test the swim), and I was fine. I did a lot more warm-up in that sprint, but I still do not know if the cause/improvement was warm-up, me just freaking out with lots of people, or unfamiliarity of the wetsuit.

I am doing a wetsuit sprint in a few days to hopefully test the swim freakout again. Then, I have a non-wetsuit HIM mid-May. I figure I have about three weeks to solve this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like it might be SIPE. http://www.endurancetriathletes.com/sipe.html
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming - breathing issue [mplamour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mplamour wrote:
Sounds like it might be SIPE.

I'm guessing that no one here is "coughing up pink, frothy blood-tinged sputum."
Last edited by: exxxviii: Apr 25, 17 8:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I often win the swim in my AG, but I take my time getting to the lead, especially when there is no warm-up allowed. There are always some crazies who max out in the first 100-200 yards and die. I draft them, enjoy the ride and say bye-bye after that. Just chill. It's a long race that is rarely, if ever, won in the first 200 yards of the swim.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have the problem, especially in the first 400-800 metres, and basically only in fresh water without a wetsuit. With a wetsuit I'm fine.
I used to warm up before races (where this was possible), but strangely this did not help.

I became a bit better in swimming in the last years (I learned swimming as an adult): the problem decreased but is still there.

What helps me is that I do in every training session a 400m after a slight warm-up, to psychologically get used to the nasty feeling which builds up during this 400m. Because if you only do shorter intervals or do the longer only with a pullbuoy, the only time you get into this nasty situation is in a race. If you're used to the nasty situation, it is easier.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming - breathing issue [mplamour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bingo! Sounds like it might be swim-induced pulmonary edema, or "triathlon" pulmonary edema.

This is actually more common than is recognized.

Risk factors include: cold water, tight wetsuit. It is NOT due to panic.

The immersion in cold water causes constriction of peripheral circulation. The tight wetsuit makes this more pronounced. This results in the heart working against more pressure ("afterload") as well as an increase in blood in the central circulation ("preload"). This may result in increased pressure in the circulation to the lungs, to the point where some of the fluid leaks from inside the lung vasculature into the lung air spaces.

As above, one of the recommendations would be to warm up in the water on race day.

And, if you haven't already, talk with your physician to be sure you don't have an underlying heart condition.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming - breathing issue [DougFelts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DougFelts wrote:
Bingo! Sounds like it might be swim-induced pulmonary edema, or "triathlon" pulmonary edema.
Seriously? One of the hallmarks of this is an affected person starts spitting up blood, because the blood is leaking into the lungs. I think people would notice that. And, I do not think the condition clears itself up after a few hundred yards.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming - breathing issue [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not so much that "blood" leaks into the lungs, but rather that fluid (primarily blood plasma) leaks into the lungs.

If the case is mild, there may be chest tightness, and a cough, without full-blown symptoms of pink frothy sputum production. These cases typically clear without medical intervention - get out of the water, get out of your wetsuit, and the underlying hemodynamics allow for return to normal.

The article referenced above is a nice review of one athlete's story. You might find this article of interest: http://www.sciencedirect.com/...ii/S0735675709004021. In this article, the prevalence of SIPE is thought to be ~1.4% of triathletes. That's uncommon, but that means that of the 2000 people you get in the water with for your next Ironman, there may be a dozen or two who have SIPE.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like there are several theories in this thread. Several are medical, so I'd suggest you get checked out.
I have exercise induced asthma that presents very similar to you, but typically takes 20 minutes to clear. I take a preventer every day and that helps a lot. I have also learned when I don't sleep through my alarm, that a long slow warmup (ie 20 minutes in my case) helps a lot.
I also have several heart issues that complicate matters. If I start a race cold and smash it from the beginning, my HR will jump to 230BPM+ and I will encounter breathing problems as well. My long slow warmup seems to prevent that most of the time as well.
The only time I've ever had panic attacks is when I wake up in the middle of the night and realize I'm married with kids and a mortgage!

Over the years I've had far too many wetsuits. You noted your previous wetsuit restricted your breathing. Back in the day I was quite barrel chested (now I'm just fat) and my wetsuits restricted my breathing quite a bit. Then I got a suit that was much stretchier and my breathing freed right up. My old wetsuit was restrictive enough across the chest and back that I actually had a couple of very thin gussets added under the arms to allow the suit to stretch much more and the improvement was way better. Over an IM race it probably helped about 5 seconds per 100m overall (I'm a 1:30/100m swimmer). I'd really get tired at the end of the swim, just trying to breathe. After the gussets I swam way faster at the end of the swim. Easier, faster, more comfortable and in much better shape to start the bike ride.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming - breathing issue [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the advice guys!

tridork wrote:
Sounds like there are several theories in this thread. Several are medical, so I'd suggest you get checked out.
I have exercise induced asthma that presents very similar to you, but typically takes 20 minutes to clear. I take a preventer every day and that helps a lot. I have also learned when I don't sleep through my alarm, that a long slow warmup (ie 20 minutes in my case) helps a lot.
I also have several heart issues that complicate matters. If I start a race cold and smash it from the beginning, my HR will jump to 230BPM+ and I will encounter breathing problems as well. My long slow warmup seems to prevent that most of the time as well.
The only time I've ever had panic attacks is when I wake up in the middle of the night and realize I'm married with kids and a mortgage!

Over the years I've had far too many wetsuits. You noted your previous wetsuit restricted your breathing. Back in the day I was quite barrel chested (now I'm just fat) and my wetsuits restricted my breathing quite a bit. Then I got a suit that was much stretchier and my breathing freed right up. My old wetsuit was restrictive enough across the chest and back that I actually had a couple of very thin gussets added under the arms to allow the suit to stretch much more and the improvement was way better. Over an IM race it probably helped about 5 seconds per 100m overall (I'm a 1:30/100m swimmer). I'd really get tired at the end of the swim, just trying to breathe. After the gussets I swam way faster at the end of the swim. Easier, faster, more comfortable and in much better shape to start the bike ride.

I used to play rugby and was quite muscly, barrel chested etc and I think with my first wetsuit it was just way too tight, plus I hadn't put it on properly. It felt like someone had me in a bear hug before I started swimming, so I guess a lot of people in my position would have had a similar issue with breathing. Now I've lost about 10kg and am much less stocky, wetsuits fit me better and I also have sleeveless. I have a 70.3 in ten days, but this sunday I have a 2,7km OWS so will use that as a test. I'm going to warmup for a decent amount of time and I'm going to really focus on breathing deeply, exhaling correctly for the first few hundred metres and see how I go. I hadn't had this breathing issue for over a year and then it reared it's ugly head in a sprint in December. Thinking back though, it was really choppy and although I was trying to breath every 2 strokes, I was getting smashed by waves, so was breathing every 4 for a while, then the problem hit me. It's probably a combination of a number of things, not breathing right, not warming up and probably a bit of anxiety associated with my initial breathing problem all those years ago. Every time I'm at the start line I'm thinking about at what point and how bad the breathing thing will be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for putting upp this thread. (gave som e tips also)
I noticed that i takes med 200-300m before i can start swim properly.
I also have a little panik with a lot of people around me.

My solution is starting on side, and often way back and strt slowly.
Smaller races i have started last and came upp around 10 th place making me wish i could start upp front instead.

One tip that works for me is during warmup: float and completly exhale under water emtying your lungs and bubble in the water take new breath and do that 2-3 times. Try it in the pool first. I tend to take really short breaths specially when its cold, this feel like it makes my lungs expand more and get my breathing better.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming - breathing issue [SweMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a 2.7km ocean race on sunday and that went OK, 25/236. I was actually 19th, but missed a marker buoy and had to go back... start was mayhem, people swimming over each other etc, but it was fun and went well. I was swimming hard and had no breathing issues. Made sure I exhaled underwater and breathed in reasonably deeply. I did manage to have a warm up of sorts, the swim start was about 300m out to sea, so swam out and then swam up and down for a bit. I also am rarely nervous for most OWS, compared to a big 70.3 when I am a bundle of nerves... so I still need to be careful next Sunday (Busselton 70.3). The top guys in my AG will be around the 24/25 mark, I should be around 27 if swimming by myself, I'm hoping to push it at the start though and jump on their toes, big gamble though, because if things go tits up I'll be coming in 30mins+... There is a 1km open water race the day before which I may do, go off hard from the start as a test and see what happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am considering bringing my bike trainer and spare bike and helmet to my next race to get a proper warm up. The swim warm up is always rushed way too much. I have found that it is best to try to get your "second wind" before the swim. Warm up should be longer the shorter the race as well. The other thing that really helps is counting in the water. It takes your mind of breathing. Make sure to exhale CO2 as well.
Last edited by: nbndtrain: May 2, 17 9:55
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming - breathing issue [nbndtrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nbndtrain wrote:
I am considering bringing my bike trainer and spare bike and helmet to my next race to get a proper warm up. The swim warm up is always rushed way too much. I have found that it is best to try to get your "second wind" before the swim.

The folks I work with have adopted this and have had no issues with anxiety since - though super small sample and we only had a couple beforehand.

1. If there is a swim warmup available use it - obvious one
2. If it's a wave start, be the first person in the water and then proceed to swim 20 strokes up and 20 strokes back while you wait the 5 minutes for your wave to start.
3. If nothing is available - do some quick jogs before the race to get your heart rate up, when it comes back down you will get some relaxation effect that should help keep you from getting that high anxiety state.

As a personal note, I am also a strong swimmer and did get the exact same thing the O.P. mentioned in a sprint tri once. I was late to the start, rushed through the crowd to the front, and was a few seconds late getting started - within 5 minutes of swimming I felt like I couldn't breathe.
Quote Reply

Prev Next