Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming... shoulder rotation, hand arm extension?
Quote | Reply
A swimmer gave me some feedback at the pool this morning that I swim with pretty square shoulders and it would be an improvement to rotate a bit more, get better arm extension, etc. Funny thing is I felt like I was so I appreciate his feedback... he's a true swimmer.

I digress, since my vision is obviously poor and my feel is off, is there any sort of drill that might help with this should rotation, arm extension, etc. to work on this?
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming... shoulder rotation, hand arm extension? [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kick on your side, bottom arm extended. one pull every 12 kicks or so. head should be aligned with spine, keep top shoulder out of the water.

If your kick is weak, feel free to use fins on this one.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming... shoulder rotation, hand arm extension? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks-same problem-will this a try tommorrow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1KReTEXiBM

This is a simple tip, but a great one.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming... shoulder rotation, hand arm extension? [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Though I find this video very helpful, I don't see how this particular drill helps with the op's issue. Sorry if I'm being obtuse.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming... shoulder rotation, hand arm extension? [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phog wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1KReTEXiBM

This is a simple tip, but a great one.
So rolling the shoulder... seems to be counter intuitive to the suggestion I was given this morning... or could it be both? Better arm extension and examine my arm motion to get that roll for the catch set up as covered in the video?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might be right. Although as you watch the video you might notice that he rolls his shoulder and extends his reach, but if you exaggerate the extension, which is an equally natural movement you lose the early catch and pull, something he also shows. There are lots of good "looking" swimmers that roll well, but catch late. Don't let one aspect, the roll, reduce the effectiveness of your catch. At the relatively slow speeds that triathletes swim (me included) somethings get exaggerated.

Like baseball, how you get there is not so important as how well you catch. :0)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have found the total immersion method really stresses position in the water and gives great workout to achieve this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forget rolling the shoulder than jonnyo just showed in the video. Other responder is correct. I believe they are called statue of liberty drills. You can use fins. 3 strokes every 10-12 kicks, roll to your side, bottom arm straight out, ear tucked into shoulder, other shoulder sticking out of water, arm by your side. After 10-12 kicks, take 3 strokes and roll to other side.

Use your kick to initiate the roll when you go back to freestyle swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming... shoulder rotation, hand arm extension? [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
Forget rolling the shoulder than jonnyo just showed in the video. Other responder is correct. I believe they are called statue of liberty drills. You can use fins. 3 strokes every 10-12 kicks, roll to your side, bottom arm straight out, ear tucked into shoulder, other shoulder sticking out of water, arm by your side. After 10-12 kicks, take 3 strokes and roll to other side.

Use your kick to initiate the roll when you go back to freestyle swimming.

Gotcha, found a vid and I'll be giving them a shot tomorrow. Huge thanks and for anything else someone might be able to suggest...will be using this one though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgVkzkap0eI
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2kpe-QMAG4

This video is perhaps a little clearer? I think this is the drill that Jason and Pratz are suggesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming... shoulder rotation, hand arm extension? [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, that's the drill. The number of kicks isn't all that important, what is important is that you learn that exaggerated roll, keeping it streamlined.

During the actual swim you shouldn't roll that much, but if you are having trouble with getting enough rotation, it's a good drill to learn what it feels like to get onto your side.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming... shoulder rotation, hand arm extension? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big thanks and yes the second video is a lot clearer. Drill went okay I guess, will keep at it and maybe get some video so I can see what I'm doing not doing or doing. I breath predominately to the right and it feels like I roll much better to that side, while I was getting ready to get in I was watching another swimmer and they had good rotation on one side and not much on the other.

I digress... something to work on, thanks again.
Quote Reply