Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Swimmers brag about equipment thread....
Quote | Reply
Cyclists get to talk about their bikes, wheels, bars, saddles, helmets, yada yada....

Runners have endless discussion on what shoes and compression socks they like.

I got a new pair of goggles. I couldn't find any Tyr Socket Rockets locally, so I decided to try these out. Arena Pure - clear. They are pretty decent, but I have a big head and the headband seems a tad short.

This might be the shortest thread in ST history.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers brag about equipment thread.... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Other than goggles and swim suit, below is a list of all the swim related gear I own:

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Last edited by: HalfSpeed: Mar 6, 14 7:46
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers brag about equipment thread.... [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you swim with a cap?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cap? only in races... and they supply them. Oh yeah, have a wetsuit, too, but in my last tri, I opted not to wear it. I know, I would be faster with it, but just wanted to see how it would work out. Besides my 2:00 lead out of the water, I had the fastest T1 time!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you're talking Swedish goggles, you're not legit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who remembers the Carbon BlueSeventy Goggles from a few years ago?

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...n%20goggles;#2963806

-----
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers brag about equipment thread.... [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know. I'm definitely not legit.

Seriously, I have a little bump on my nose next to my eye, and swedes irritate the crap out of it. the Socket Rockets are great (basically swedes with a tiny gasket which cushions that little bump). But my old goggles are toast, and I needed something now. the arena's fit similarly to the socket rockets, a little lower profile though.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using these since the guy at the local swim shop told me Michael Phelps used them and that they were the future of swimwear. I think that was right before Athens in '04.

It's easy to make excuses, but excuses don't make champions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Beer Goggles. They are cheaper:)
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers brag about equipment thread.... [DunnRight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^ what are those?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone here use the Speedo Vanquisher? I have noticed my last couple of pairs dry rotted really quickly around the eye pieces. Maybe just a bad batch, but ready to try a different Rx brand next time if my current pair goes doo doo.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers brag about equipment thread.... [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
Anyone here use the Speedo Vanquisher? I have noticed my last couple of pairs dry rotted really quickly around the eye pieces. Maybe just a bad batch, but ready to try a different Rx brand next time if my current pair goes doo doo.

I use them. They're pretty much the only brand I've used.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:

I used to exclusively use Vanquishers, and for whatever reason, I got leaks after a few months with them, on every pair I've used. The leaks start small, then get worse, and then after about 5 months, they're bad enough that they disrupt every workout I do.

I switched to Swedes because of this leakage. The Swedes are GREAT for avoiding leaks, but they do put more pressure around the eyesockets that I notice after 40 minutes. (Still doesn't stop me from going 60+.) I couldn't care less about the hype around them that all the competitive swimmers swear by, but I do care about function, and they do work amazingly well for leak stoppage. I don't think I'm ever going back to gasket goggles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been using the vanquisher since I started swimming. Once they came out with Vanquisher II, I gave them a shot, and they won't stop leaking... Guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:

I've got a skinny face like a Chihuahua and wear the Lady Vanquisher, it fits perfectly. I have not noticed
any dry rot at all.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers brag about equipment thread.... [matt_tris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. I bought them as my first pair when I got into tri. Tried a few different goggles along the way but always came back to the vanquisher.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers brag about equipment thread.... [Kaush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kaush wrote:
I use Beer Goggles. They are cheaper:)

Plus, they enhance your Beer Muscles.

My sweet mirrored Nike Remoras broke last week (twice - one morning the strap gave out, I replaced it with one of those bungie cord straps that my kids insist on buying at every swim meet then never use, and the next morning the part of the lens that the nosepiece attaches to said "Fuck it" too and broke, rendering them really useless) so I got...

Another pair of Remoras.
I wanted the Zoggs Predator Flex but my LSS had them at twice the price I can get them online. The Nikes will do until the Zoggs arrive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried out the vanquisher a couple of years ago, but didn't like the way they fit. Just too big, I was worried about them ripping off my face on the dive from the blocks. I used 'em for training for a month or so, they seemed fine.

Do you rinse your goggles after practice? I usually carry them in the shower with me, I think getting the chlorine out of my stuff helps it last a bit longer.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers brag about equipment thread.... [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hardly. This triathlon business has drastically decreased my tolerance of the ale. And it's not like I save money with the amount I pour into these wonderful IM events!
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers brag about equipment thread.... [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These things? You going scuba diving?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers brag about equipment thread.... [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
Cap? only in races... and they supply them. Oh yeah, have a wetsuit, too, but in my last tri, I opted not to wear it. I know, I would be faster with it, but just wanted to see how it would work out. Besides my 2:00 lead out of the water, I had the fastest T1 time!

How'd that race work out for you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for all wh ochimed in on the vanquisher. i have not been washing my gear off, but can give it a try. not that it makes it right, but i have not washed any of my goggles since i was in the minnows group 35 years ago! will give some fresh water a try thanks all
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers brag about equipment thread.... [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think swimmers brag about much. They just put you in your place in the swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers brag about equipment thread.... [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
How'd that race work out for you?
Don't know why pink, but I hit T2 in first, as well, with a minute lead. Then due to back issues - can't run very well these days, ended up in 5th. Been working through back issues with PT and cortisone epidurals and I might have a better run this year.

Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers brag about equipment thread.... [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
I don't think swimmers brag about much. They just put you in your place in the swim.

That is why it was in pink... I know I'm not an ex collegiate swimmer.
Quote Reply

Prev Next