Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimmers - 55 Minute Ironman swim @IMLP
Quote | Reply
Curious what people think a swimmer needs to hold for 100's in the pool to swim 55 mins at IMLP. Should they be able to hold a pace of 100's @ 1:10 1:05, 1:15?
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers - 55 Minute Ironman swim @IMLP [dannyweissphoto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yards or meters? Wetsuit or not?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm gonna win snarky comment of the year, but second grade math says: 1:18.125 / 100 yds to swim a 55 min ironman anywhere in the world.

Generally you're just as fast if not faster in open water with a wetsuit. The search box will give you plenty of info on that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to swim 52:00 - 54:00 (suited up) and will hold 1:07 - 1:09 / 100yards on something like 10 x 100 on the 1:20, when in shape. If I was doing that set with a wetsuit, I'd be close to 1:00/100.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers - 55 Minute Ironman swim @IMLP [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yards. No wetsuit.

So holding 1:18's for 100's on around 1:25 interval sounds like it should do the trick (snark away - failed 2nd grade math :) )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So holding 1:18's for 100's on around 1:25 interval sounds like it should do the trick //

Actually no. If it is indeed without a wetsuit, then you would have to hold like at the very least, 1;1's5 on that 1;25 interval. Keep in mind that 1;18 is race pace, and without turns. Now if you have a great draft the entire way, then the 1;15's would do it, otherwise you better be doing 1;13's or so on your own at that interval to do 55 non wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The math portion doesn't account for the push off and glide you get off the wall in a pool. Are you doing flip turns in the pool?

That push and glide reduces the amount of actual swimming slightly and in a shorter (yard) pool that can add up. The difference in the open water is there is no wall to give your arms a slight break. You'll need to keep your turnover up. You'll have an opportunity to draft in a pack as I think that the faster groups are capable of working together and/ or allowing one person to pull the group (don't be that guy).

Depending on conditions that lake can be a very fast swim if it isn't windy and you are at the pointy end of the field. Lap two could get hairy towards the second half of it, with you catching a lot of slower swimmers.

Have you been swimming in the open water enough? Not that there are currents or anything in the Lake that you will have to deal with, but open water tactics are something that can make achieving that time easier.

Will you be wearing a speedsuit?

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went 54 and change - was holding under 1:10 on 1:20 for a set of 10*100 (SCY) but my main practice set was 8*25/7*50/6*75....1*200 (total 3000 Y) all on a 1:20/100 pace holding under just under 1:!5.

Now I am one of the odd creatures for whom wetsuits don't help as much (I am also much slower with a pull buoy than without) so take that with a grain of salt and adjust accordingly.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers - 55 Minute Ironman swim @IMLP [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
So holding 1:18's for 100's on around 1:25 interval sounds like it should do the trick //

Actually no. If it is indeed without a wetsuit, then you would have to hold like at the very least, 1;1's5 on that 1;25 interval. Keep in mind that 1;18 is race pace, and without turns. Now if you have a great draft the entire way, then the 1;15's would do it, otherwise you better be doing 1;13's or so on your own at that interval to do 55 non wetsuit.

Sorry if I was not clear. I meant in the pool there is no wetsuit to hold the 1:18's on 1:25. But at the race, assuming/hoping for wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swim right around 60 minutes and do 1:18's on 1:30 intervals. If I was rested and really tried I might get down to 1:15's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dannyweissphoto wrote:
Curious what people think a swimmer needs to hold for 100's in the pool to swim 55 mins at IMLP. Should they be able to hold a pace of 100's @ 1:10 1:05, 1:15?

mildly OT...

I just did IM CDA, (the one in the oven). Time was 58:35 which aligned with my goal perfectly. Swam decent but not at all "hard." Assuming the distance was accurate (which I think it was)...

my metric for distance is different - I'll do 1,000 (scy) aiming for about 13 min - without killing myself. In figured for my first IM that would get me into the T1 tent with-out much company (and I was correct about that).

BTW, I was shocked and impressed at how many swimmers were below 55. My time at Wildflower LC indicated I could do that at CDA, I just didn't think the investment was worth it; so I cruised the swim - glad I did.

Best of luck @ IMLP, enjoy the journey (gotta be an easier/cooler day than CDA!)

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers - 55 Minute Ironman swim @IMLP [adamas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm gonna win snarky comment of the year, but second grade math says: 1:18.125 / 100 yds to swim a 55 min ironman anywhere in the world.

Something's not right here. I don't think that 2nd graders do long division.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers - 55 Minute Ironman swim @IMLP [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wetsuit or not? I do 1:17s on 1:30 all day long and held 1:11 - 1:13 on 1:30 for a 20x100 set. I'm thinking I could swim < 1h at IMMT with a wetsuit.

torrey wrote:
I swim right around 60 minutes and do 1:18's on 1:30 intervals. If I was rested and really tried I might get down to 1:15's.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers - 55 Minute Ironman swim @IMLP [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
Wetsuit or not? I do 1:17s on 1:30 all day long and held 1:11 - 1:13 on 1:30 for a 20x100 set. I'm thinking I could swim < 1h at IMMT with a wetsuit.

torrey wrote:

To add to the data points and further the confusion based around a confusing question, I held 1:10/100yds on 1:15 for a 20x100 set and I have no idea if I would've swum 55 minutes at IMLP or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers - 55 Minute Ironman swim @IMLP [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A little more data from a 60 min swimmer. Last year swam 59 at Wisconsin and am holding 1:18 on 20 rest for 20x100 and 1:19ish on 30 rest in 10x200. Might have been quicker last season but don't think so. Maybe I am just decent in open water or was that race. I made sure to hug the buoys and sight often so never got off course.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been VERY comfortable and easy 52:00, 53:30, 56:00 in Lake Placid. I often do a set of 10x100 on 1:10 and hold 1:05. If I were resting more, say 10x100 on 1:20, Those would all be around 1:00-1:03. That being said, it's an ironman. If you're that good of a swimmer, use it as a chance to put some time into the competition without wasting energy. All of my swims at LP have been whatever the lead group decides to swim, dragging me along in their bubbles. EASY warm up!

Head Coach Grn Mchn Multisports Coaching, LLC
http://www.grnmchnmultisports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers - 55 Minute Ironman swim @IMLP [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do you ask about a speed suit? Is IMLP not wetsuit legal?
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers - 55 Minute Ironman swim @IMLP [Asilverm1970] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Asilverm1970 wrote:
Why do you ask about a speed suit? Is IMLP not wetsuit legal?

It's happened once, with Mirror Lake being in the WTC gray area temperature. It's highly unlikely to happen this year for those who freakout about this kind of thing. It's been seasonally average to slightly below average in the LP area with significantly greater than normal amounts of rainfall.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers - 55 Minute Ironman swim @IMLP [DSza2508] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DSza2508 wrote:
I've been VERY comfortable and easy 52:00, 53:30, 56:00 in Lake Placid. I often do a set of 10x100 on 1:10 and hold 1:05. If I were resting more, say 10x100 on 1:20, Those would all be around 1:00-1:03. That being said, it's an ironman. If you're that good of a swimmer, use it as a chance to put some time into the competition without wasting energy. All of my swims at LP have been whatever the lead group decides to swim, dragging me along in their bubbles. EASY warm up!
I really like this philosophy. Hop on someone's feet and who cares if your 55 or 54 or 57.
Quote Reply