Me:

47 years
Adult onset swimmer
Swim 4 x 3-4000M a week
1.00-1.02 hrs. IM swim
Need to get better!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiIfiiR-OVY

Let me have some feedback, thanks

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way.
If you don't, you'll find an excuse.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim video, let me have some feedback, thanks [argon-18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dropping your elbow too much on the catch, lifting your head a bit on the breathing instead of rotating to breathe.(lots of good tutorial vids on youtube for learning a high elbow/early vertical forearm catch)
Also advise you learn bilateral breathing.
Kick turn was not bad

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: Swim video, let me have some feedback, thanks [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bilateral breathing, funny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that your usual cadence? What happens when you slow your arm strokes, get more glide, a bit more rotation (especially in the upper body), and finish your stroke?

I would practice streamlining tight off off the wall and working to keep your body narrower in the water. You'll get this with a better reach, full finish on the pull, and better rotation. You look flat and wide for the effort you are putting out.

My swim coach used to tell me to breath bilaterally. I ignored him. Being more streamlined in your stroke will pay better dividends than breathing to your off side though it would be interesting to see what it does to your stroke.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Swim video, let me have some feedback, thanks [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that is my normal cadence.

I do feel I put a lot of effort in my swimming - but don't get much speed in return.

I am working on more rotation especially to my left side (non breathing side) - that should also make room for finishing my stroke with a straight arm and make me more stremalined. I totally agree - I look very wide and flat in the video.

Thanks for advice :)

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way.
If you don't, you'll find an excuse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
at :33 into the video your turnover drops substantially, I presume to the rate that you would actually swim distance.

Body position is generally good, you need a bit more rotation, a bit more reach out front. try to exercise a bit of patience before you start your pull, get the reach in first, then start pulling. It's not a glide, but it does give the opposite arm the opportunity to pull through the power part of the stroke while the rest of you is in a streamline position.

You don't need to finish the stroke with a straight arm, that doesn't really gain you anything directly.

Your left arm does a weird "flick" thing when you start the pull. I don't know if it is costing you anything, but it isn't helping anything either.

I can't really tell from the video if you are dropping your elbows, but it looks like you are.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are good at self-assessing how the water feels around your body you might try having a swim buddy pull you through the water.

Get a jet ski rope or something easy to hold on to and do the catch up drill in very slow motion while somebody is pulling the rope, dragging you through the water. As you are being pulled and are holding the rope with one arm, try to get your body as streamlined as possible (in the most efficient rotation) while doing your pull with your other arm. Try to get your shoulders as close to your ears as you can during the reach.

And practice your streamline all the time - even out of the water. Stick your arms up and get them tight around your head. Tighter. If you feel it crunch up your shoulder muscles or pull on your lats then you are too tight and won't get full reach during your stroke. You may need to do more side stretches and lat stretches. I know we don't streamline during OWS but it gets your body skinnier in the water to have the range of motion and your shoulders and lats used to that position.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Swim video, let me have some feedback, thanks [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would agree... dropped elbows, robs himself of power.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply