Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim squad in Melbourne
Quote | Reply
Hello! I'm new in town and looking for a swim squad to train with. I have been doing triathlons and open water races over the past few years and I would like to find a squad training about 5 times a week. There are pools everywhere: how to choose? Any help would be appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Swim squad in Melbourne [marzia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ETPA runs swim squad at Footscray VUT Pool Mondays through Fridays excluding Thursdays at 5:30am. Open water swims at Williamstown Beach 7am Saturdays followed by a 5-10km run then Sundays group ride starting from Willie out towards Geelong or King Lake depending on how far into the season. Contact ETPA on 9355 7885 or just turn up on the days listed, all newcomers welcome....and no I don't work for ETPA, just a squad member.

Cheers and good luck with training, hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is Sean Foster's Fluid Movements group: http://www.fluidmovements.com/

I swam with Buddy, who is well known in the tri community there. The elite group I trained with included Luke Bell + other pros and elite swimmers, and Meredith Kessler joined us for several weeks leading up to IM Melbourne (just to name drop/brag!). He has a solid agegroup squad as well. I do not have his contact info anymore and he doesn't have a website. He operates quite old school - but ask around and you will find someone who can put you in touch.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marzia wrote:
Hello! I'm new in town and looking for a swim squad to train with. I have been doing triathlons and open water races over the past few years and I would like to find a squad training about 5 times a week. There are pools everywhere: how to choose? Any help would be appreciated!

Powerpoint at MSAC is quite popular as well....Or you can join a Tri team for teh swim portion only
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steer clear of the etpa squad as mentioned. The water is disgusting and its a lame 25 mtr pool.

Get to msac. There are about 12 good squads there morning and night with swim coaches not part time athletes pretending to be a qualified coach.

As mentioned powerpoints at msac is very good.

Where do you live and work. That would help.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim squad in Melbourne [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much for the input! I'm currently looking for a place to live close to Uni Melbourne campus in Parkville so something centrally located would be the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Fitzroy pool, just down the road. I'm sure they'll have something there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd suggest looking up Masters Swimming Victoria & check out which masters squads swim at the most convenient pool for you.

Assuming you want to swim with swimmers, not triathletes :-P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marzia wrote:
Thank you very much for the input! I'm currently looking for a place to live close to Uni Melbourne campus in Parkville so something centrally located would be the best.

Heaps of good squads near the uni.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Putting aside airing out personal issues around particular clubs/pretend coaches and calling out anyone who would even consider swimming in a 25 meter pool as lame, lol. Lots of squads and pools like Fitzroy 50m outdoor near where you want to locate, best advice would be to just start with the closest, turn up, try it out and make an informed decision on the squad and facilities. Give yourself a few weeks to settle on the one which suits you best, don't be shy as where ever you go, new squaddies are always welcome. Also consider if you want to have to pay for membership to the centre or club to train or if you want to just turn up on a casual basis, good luck.
Quote Reply